Are teachers allowed to give out candy in your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joy, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

I'm just wondering if teachers are allowed to give out candy where you teach as a reward or a special treat?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 9, 2011

No. It's against state law.

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

Is it a federal law or a state law? Do you know if it is true for every state?

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 9, 2011

Yes.

My CT would sometimes give out candy as a reward if a student came up with a really insightful answer to a problem or explained a different way to solve an equation. She also used candy as a reward during a "time filler" activity for those few days when the students got finished before the end of class.

I used Lifesavers myself in my room last year for the same thing.

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

I was actually just thinking about this as I bought the Halloween Clearance Candy at Walmart tonight!
    I do give out candy... mostly a reward for getting forms signed by parents and bringing them back.

7. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

Yes, we are allowed to give out candy.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2011

Not to eat. I often end up with candy in my estimating jar...kids estimate, we divvy it up but kids have to take it home.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 9, 2011

Yes. I usually give it out as rewards but sometimes just for fun as well. During hell week for drama I made everyone chocolate covered oreos and pretzels. Not quite candy but still chocolate. I usually have hard candy for the kids to suck on when they do independent work if they like as well.

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

I'm asking because I am doing a LTS in music right now and have about a week and a half left. To reward positive behavior, I have been giving out tickets for a drawing. I try to give out about three tickets to every class to the students who did a wonderful job following rules and working hard. At the end of the week, I draw tickets out and those students get to choose from a special prize box. My prize box has alot of variety. I have stickers, chapstick, stampers, pencils, and other little prizes. I also have some nut free candy. I've had alot of students choose the candy but I was informed today by the principal that it was against school policy. I had no idea and feel really bad! She was very nice about it but I just wish I had known! She said that it had to do with "The Healthy Kid Act." I've never heard of it before! Is it something new or is it just that the other districts that I've been subbing in haven't been following it? They give out candy all the time which is why I thought nothing of it.

11. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

No way. Candy in the classroom is the root of childhood obesity. It (obesity) has nothing to do with the fact that many kids today are raised on fast-food and carry around bottles and sippy cups filled with cool-aide and soda. It is all based on the fact that one day in first grade the teacher gave every child an Oreo cookie. And so now we have childhood obesity!

But seriously, even though we know that lots of kids with behavior problems often respond well to food rewards, we still can't use them any more. Also, all the old lessons of graphing candy, making cereal necklaces, making gingerbread houses, measuring with recipes are a thing of the past; no longer permitted. It's a real shame.

12. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

1stferg - totally agree. It's a shame we can't use food items in lessons and for illustrations. Food is the one of the few things everyone can relate to, because we all need it. Too bad the baby gets thrown out with the bath water sometimes.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 9, 2011

Yes, we can. I prefer not to keep candy in my room though because I'd end up eating it. :) I generally give out non-food rewards for things like general prizes. For christmas last year I brought in the shaped sugar cookies, several different colors of icing and various toppings and let the kids decorate their own cookies. I plan on doing that again for Christmas this year. I'm also doing an idea I actually got from a forum member here...I'm teaching my 4th graders their multiplication facts and we're doing the "multiplication sundae" thing where they color in a piece of the sunday for every number set they know and then get a sundae when it's all done. I'll also probably bring a little treat for our end of the year party. Those are the only times I would bring in food.

14. kme93

kme93 Companion

Nov 9, 2011

I totally didn't know that! Is that only in public schools or private schools as well?

I brought candy for Halloween and also used it as prizes for math bingo. Teachers and students bring "treats" to share all the time at my school.

15. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2011

I just gave out some today - my leftover trick or treat candy - I small piece per kid. I do agree though that the food can get out of control in school.

I also think I am going to try to make an African dish for my honors students since we are reading a book about West Africa.

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2011

No, it is against district policy which I believe aligns with state law and federal policy.

17. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

My students have learned to count money because of candy. We play "Skittle Shop". I write an amount on the board and they have to pay me for a Skittle.

It's funny how excited they are to earn a single Skittle. It has really motivated my students (who aren't always the most motivated group).

But yes we're allowed to give out candy, it has to be teacher controlled due to allergies.

18. Math

Math Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

Yes.

19. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

So is it a federal law? If it is, it sure would be nice for teachers to know about it. I can't figure out if it is a law in my state either. I've googled it and it comes up with something from 2008 but I've seen so many teachers giving out candy in the past three years that I've been subbing that I'm wondering if this "Healthy Kid Act" is something more recent. If it was a law since 2008, I sure have seen alot of teachers not following it!

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 9, 2011

21. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 10, 2011

Candy to students - against the law

Ditto.

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Nov 10, 2011

It's not a federal law (to the best of my knowledge). If you're not sure of the policy at a particular school, I would just ask the principal.

23. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 10, 2011

This is the area where I agree with people who want smaller government. The state legislature really spent time on this?

Seriously, though, Texas may be on to something. My concern is less with teachers handing out treats every now and then and more with the sugary crap they serve in the cafeteria and have in the vending machines. THAT is where I think some guidelines need to be drawn.

24. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 10, 2011

Yes. Schools and teachers are allowed to give out candy to students. However, the hypocrisy runs deep in elementary school where parents are given letters stating what snacks are acceptable to send with their children. The list is low sugar, low fat, low salt snacks which really limits what can be sent without having to keep it cooled. Maybe they do that to counter act all the sugar, fat, and salty snacks the teachers give out.

Parents think it is terribly hypocritical to limit the parents' choices when they are violating the healthy snack rule to give out sweet treat incentives continually.

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2011

It's not just sugar, though. I think it is stupid that states have laws where they can't eat cupcakes or candy in class, but they can eat mozzarella sticks for a meal. :dizzy:

26. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 10, 2011

Yes, we are allowed, but I give candy only for a very special occasion and only in a small amount. Or sometimes I will give one or two Skittles or M/M's for following directions quickly. I am staunchly anti-sugar for the younger kids because I have seen how sugar negatively affects behavior. A few years ago I stepped out of my comfort zone and declared my classroom a sugar-free zone (as far as snacks). I've had many positive comments from parents who appreciate this decision.

All that to say, I think a couple of Skittles here and there is ok.

27. mkate

mkate Comrade

Nov 10, 2011

Personally as a parent of a child with food allergies, I much prefer that the school not use food/candy as an incentive. I know that usually teachers are careful and aware of the allergies in their room, but a misread label, a sub who isn't fully informed, or any other honest mistake could still have serious consequences...

28. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Nov 10, 2011

I'm a parent of a child with food allergies but that is not the reason I don't want teachers giving my children unhealthy food / snacks / candy. I just don't want my kids to eat that. Period.

This includes soda!!!

29. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Nov 10, 2011

Wow, I never realized states had laws against this! We give out peppermints, tootsie rolls and cereal during state testing and I give out jolly ranchers extremely sparingly for a reward.

30. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2011

Yes, we can and do.

31. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Nov 10, 2011

Nope. It's against district policy and state law. If a parent rats you out, you get called in for a lecture about healthier alternatives "like cheese and fruit". Yeah 'cause the cheese and fruit line are so popular in the cafeteria...

32. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2011

We give out sweets but we have to take care that they do not contain geletine (veggies and certain faiths) or peanuts (allergies).

I always keep a few sweets in my bag because we have a few diabetics in school and sometimes, if they go hypo they need something sweet to bring them back.

33. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 11, 2011

Instead of banning all sugar and candy, it seems like it would be a better option to teach the kids about eating it appropriately. They will end up eating it at home. It's kind of hypocritical to not allow any sugar for students when the teacher's lounge is loaded with brownies and cookies. Who doesn't have a treat every now and then? While I would not give sugary treats to students everyday, I think that having it once in a while is completely okay. It's more about staying active and teaching kids that if they are active, they can have a treat every now and then without it having negative consequences. When students are allowed no sugar at all, they think that being healthy is horrible and torture and will overindulge.

34. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2011

As a sub, you may not be privy to all district policies. Subs may not know all students' nutritional concerns, allergies or parental requests. Best to not get involved with food issues, IMO.

35. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Nov 11, 2011

We are allowed. A lot of teachers at my school give out pizza and ice cream parties as rewards.

The difficult aspect is of course dealing with different allergies and such. I make a batch of goodies a week to give to the kiddos and I always have to make sure I'm not giving them anything harmful to their health.

None are dead. Yet...