Are students being held accountable at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, May 7, 2016.

1. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

May 11, 2016

At one school where I taught, the P would sometimes wisely assign a student to assist the custodian, who was the best counselor a student could have. He's helped many students deal with their problems through the years.

anon55 and MissCeliaB like this.
  2. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 11, 2016

My husband grew up without a father, and the custodian at his school taught him how to tie a tie, etc. He treasures that relationship.

3. a2z

a2z Maven

May 12, 2016

Many times it is not the "punishment" that is given but the fact that everyone is on the same page and that everyone is there mentoring in some way that improves behavior.

Obadiah, anon55 and Peregrin5 like this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 12, 2016

Exactly. As someone mentioned, the broken windows theory. Students need to feel that everyone cares enough to hold students accountable to good behavior. As long as some consequence is given and those who break the rules aren't seen to just get second chance after second chance. There needs to be a behavior management plan, and it has to be stuck to.

Obadiah likes this.
  5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

May 13, 2016

I think one of the best tools we have as teachers, and one that is often overlooked, is our smile. Troubled students need a teacher's genuine, friendly smile.

Pashtun, Backroads and MrsC like this.
  6. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

May 14, 2016

No, children are net held accountable for their behavior in my school, or, when they are, enforcement of "rules" is arbitrary and inconsistent, at best. Enforcement can depend upon how many staff are in the building, whether or not the principal is having a good day, whether or not the principal likes the teachers or parents affected, administrator policies, a change in judicial appointments, fears of parents crying, "Racism!" and too many other factors to mention.

So let's just say that kids get to do most anything they want at my school:

Curse and threaten a teacher or parent? Sure!

Put another kid in the hospital? Play the race card!

Throw a desk at a teacher? Well, she clearly did something wrong to upset you so much!

Pull a knife on another kid? Play video games on this iPad!

Run away? Sure!

Steal! Absolutely!

Threaten other children with rape and murder? Not a problem!

I can do this all day. Anything you can imagine is allowed at my school system. It is the untamed Wild West of education. Everything a new teacher dreams of.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 14, 2016

I have a wonderful principal that is great at discipline. She is not afraid to get in parent's space and tell them how it is going to be. She is retiring this year. Our new principal is a wonderful person who has a lot of fresh ideas. I like her a lot, but I am worried about discipline. I am old school. I believe in the broken window theory in education and law enforcement. I am that teacher that will cancel planning to make my kids walk back and forth in the hallway. I don't send kids to the office unless they are constant rule breakers or if they physically destroy property or hit someone.

The kids I have in class love me and know that while I am tough, I am fair. They also know that I will fight a bear for them. Kids that I deal with on the playground or in the lunchroom think I am the meanest teacher ever. That is because the people I am usually paired with are pushovers. They don't want the kids to "hate" them.

Backroads and Peregrin5 like this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2016

I could have written these exact words!

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 14, 2016

you are my hero