Are students allowed to wear make-up at your school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Speechy, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 10, 2012

I work at an elementary school and I have noticed more and more students wearing make-up lately. I, personally, don't see anything wrong with it, and the school doesn't have any rules in the handbook that forbids it.

Today I was talking to my friend on the phone and she started complaining about how her ten year old daughter was made to wash off her make-up by a teacher in one of her classes. My friend was upset because her daughter was only wearing lipgloss and a bit of mascara, and thought maybe the teacher's actions would have been more justified had her daughter looked like a clown or looked like she was going out to a club.

So, it kind of got me thinking. Is wearing make-up permitted at your school? Does it depend on how much they have on or how noticeable it is?

This question is geared more towards junior high and elementary school teachers, but I guess there is a chance that make-up isn't allowed in some high schools.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

Yes, they are allowed.

My high school principal once forced my alternative friend to wash her face completely. We were both pretty upset because his reasoning was that her foundation was too pale and he thought she was trying to be "ghostly". Well, yeah, she was naturally extremely pale, so...that's kind of how foundation works. He was a jerk. And he didn't seem concerned with the girls in the hall with orange, "bronzed" faces.

But, again, yes...our students can wear makeup.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2012

I don't think we have a policy (k-4 building) but I can't recall seeing kids wearing any.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2012

We don't have a policy, but I don't recall seeing it on any students younger than grade 6.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 10, 2012

We do have a policy-no makeup, not even lip gloss-in the elementary buildings. (k-5). They are permitted to have lip balm, though. Boys (and girls) are not permitted to wear perfume or cologne either, due to so many allergies and asthma sufferers.
    Personally, I am glad we have this policy. Some of my boys come in doused in cologne (like they drowned in it!) and it gives me a headache.

7. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 10, 2012

I am in a 6-12 building and there is no policy against make-up. I have a good friend who has a daughter who will be 13 in about 5 months and she is now letting her daughter wear mascara (lightly) only.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2012

I'm not sure of the letter of the law (though I really should be.) But no one will stop a girl if it looks natural. Once they start going overboard, they can be told to go wash their faces.... that tends to be more of an issue with the middle school set.

My own 12 year old does not wear makeup yet.

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2012

We're pre-k through 8th and no the kids are not allowed make up. Some girls put on lip gloss, but that's it. Although they can paint their nails any color. Our kids are pretty good at sticking to the rules.

10. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 10, 2012

It varies between schools here, but it was allowed within reason when I was a kid. I remember experimenting with it a little around 6th grade. There aren't any rules about it in middle or high school.

I saw a kindergartener come to class with some bright pinkish purple lip gloss at a school where it was not allowed. It looked like something that might have come in a play set. It wasn't a big deal, the teacher told her it wasn't to be worn again. She didn't have to wash it off but that stuff doesn't last long anyway.

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 10, 2012

Our schools don't have any rules against wearing makeup, but I banned cosmetic products in my 4th grade classroom one year. Girls were taking them out during class, trying to share them, and completing distracting themselves and others. I wrote parents a note explaining this and I didn't see any more in class again that year. The next year's girls didn't cause the same problems, so I didn't have to ban makeup.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 10, 2012

Our kids wear uniforms, and we have a no make-up, no nail polish, no jewlery (except for small post earrings, one earring per ear)... Crosses or religious medals can be worn, but must be tucked inside the girl's blouse. (It is a religious school.)

We don't even allow chap stick or lip balm, unless it is sent in to the office and students are sent to the office at the beginning of recess to apply it. We had to do that because too many "lip balms" where actually shiny lip glosses, and too many girls were applying it all the time. It became a distraction.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2012

No rules.
    We have girls coming in wearing extremely heavy make-up. I'm talking more make-up than I've ever worn and they wear it on a daily basis!

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2012

I believe our policy is that they can't wear excessive make up. I don't know the letter of the law, but I have not had an issue with it at the 4th grade level before. I know once they get to 5th and 6th grade that it has become an issue. It just makes me sad when I see the girls wearing so much makeup at such a young age.

15. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Apr 11, 2012

Don't think our school has any rules against it, but also don't think that anyone really wears any.... our school only goes up to 8th grade so I maybe some of the middle schoolers wear makeup... but it hasn't been a problem.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 11, 2012

I teach in a 6-8 building, and a lot of the girls wear make-up. Honestly I really don't pay attention to it all that much. They don't bring any bags or purses into the classroom, so there is not an issue with them putting on make-up during class. That would be my only issue with it.

17. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Apr 11, 2012

The school I teach in (K-12) has a no make-up policy. The school my children go to (K-12) also has a no make-up policy. I have to say at my school, it is not a very popular policy and the girls are always trying to get away with wearing make-up (it's usually eye liner).

18. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Apr 11, 2012

I teach in a 6-8 building and there's no policy regarding makeup. Most of the girls wear it, but it's nothing too crazy looking.

The old school I worked at was a catholic school and there was a very strict policy against makeup and nail polish. I rarely enforced it though - I have better things to do at work than to worry about whether or not a student has on nail polish or mascara - unless of course it was blatantly obvious and distracting.

19. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2012

We don't have a policy against makeup in my school. Most girls wear makeup that looks natural, but some wear too much.

20. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 11, 2012

I would probably take that approach too.

21. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Apr 11, 2012

Wow.... That seems completely unfair.

Yes, students here are starting to discover the power of a little bronzer... One kiddo I have has a face that looks completely airbrushed, with bronzer, blush, and mascara.

22. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2012

We have no policy on make up and I've never had a problem with my sixth graders wearing it.

23. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Apr 12, 2012

Last year I had a 2nd grader come in with more make-up than I have ever worn at once. I immediately made her go wash it off. Other than that I have not had a problem with make-up.
    I have had a few issues with fake nails, but I tell my students they need to remove them due to safety issues. This usually only happens once or twice during the school year.

24. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2012

Now that I think about it, I don't even really see our middle school kids wearing make up! I've never even seen a kid in my class wear lip gloss, and I teach up to 5th. I guess it might be part of living up in the mountains...people are too "outdoorsy" for that. Literally the only other adult who I can think of in the building who wears make up to work is the principal.