Are still trying to be a teacher in these hard times for education

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by nasirahc83, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Mar 24, 2011

Hello Everyone,

This question is directed to all the students and teachers going to school for their certification to become a teacher. I am curious as why you are still going to school to become a teacher when it seems educational budgets are getting slash left and right? Do you hope that the times would be better when you get out of school? Is it because its your passion and dream career? Or is it some other reason. Just curious. My intention is not to offend anyone!:unsure:

3. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Mar 24, 2011

I am graduating this May and I was told at the end of last year by professors, current teachers, and family members that getting and keeping a teaching job would be impossible. However, I'm still trying and to date, I've had three interviews so far for the upcoming school year.

On the other hand, my peers who are talking very similar as you did in your post (why even try- it'll never happen) haven't gotten a single interview yet.

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 24, 2011

You're talking like you already got a job. You do realize that just getting an interview is no guarantee of anything but an interview. And that you are competing against people who are just like you, but also have that many years of experience in a classroom to boot.

I think the purpose of OP is not to dissuade or be a Debbie Downer. Probably they want to gain a perspective on the situation that they don't currently see.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 24, 2011

Thankfully, I only went on one teaching interview and I'm still with the same district (six years later).

There are wonderful teachers in my district who've been teaching for 1-5 years and have received a pink slip! It's so sad and unfair!

I sometimes joke with my peers that we should stand outside the teacher credential classes at the local state college and tell the credential candidates what teachers are facing here in CA (I'm sure they probably already know, though).

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2011

I ask students who are in college the same question. Not that I'm trying to be mean or rude, it's just, if things were THIS bad back when I was first going to school, I would have totally switched gears and gone into science and worked towards my master.

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Mar 24, 2011

I've spent four years of my life and a bunch of money to do something I feel I need and want to do. I figure, I spent that much money and time on it, I'm going to give it an honest effort before I call it quits. I have a year of subbing and a school with 4 openings that's looking at me. When people ask me if/when I plan to move, why don't a go back for a different degree, just go and get my masters PhD in history and teach at the college level, etc. I tell them. I'm waiting until this year is out, saving my money and getting experience. Then I'll see where I'm at, look and possible openings, and reevaluate my plan.

The only other job I could see myself possibly being happy in (at the moment anyways) is at a Historical society as the education coordinator. Or a chidlren's librarian. And frankly, both are harder to come by and pay less around here.

I know I'll end up where I'm meant to be, and right now I'm hoping its in a classroom.

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Mar 24, 2011

No, I am not talking like I already have a job. I am talking like someone who was told by countless people to not even put in the effort because you will never even get called, get an interview, much less a job but that has not been the case. Yes, I do realize that getting an interview isn't a guarantee of a job. I'm not stupid, I know how this works.

My point of view is that yes, getting a job is tough but not impossible. You need to just keep a positive attitude and put forth all your effort to accomplish anything that is worthwhile. :2cents:

Your comment on the otherhand was rather rude.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Mar 24, 2011

I attend a well-known, rigorous university in Chicago and graduates from all majors are having difficulty obtaining jobs unfortunately. It's not just education.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2011

I often wondered throughout college- why am I doing this? Is it really worth it? For me, teaching really is my passion and literally the only thing I've ever wanted to do. I can't imagine myself in another career. I knew it was going to be hard, but I decided it was worth it and I'd never forgive myself if I decided to do something else for fear of not finding a job. I'm dual certified and obviously the special ed. market is better than other teaching markets (although still certainly not easy!) and I still had to move 12,000 miles away for a job. If I had just gotten an elementary gen. ed. credential, there is no way I'd have a job right now. I got a few interviews, but so many things happen beyond your control- two of the jobs ended up not even being available because they decided to hire someone within the district even though they'd already started interviewing outsiders. One job they literally hired someone else who'd interviewed the first day already by the time I got there, and wanted to interview me for another position that hadn't been posted (not one I was interested in or even qualified for!) I'm not one to discourage people from going into teaching- I mean they've got to hire someone right? However, I do try to be honest with younger people that ask me what it's like. They really need to go into it with their eyes wide open. I'll even tell them if they're deciding between two majors or have another interest- go with the other thing!

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 24, 2011

Keep your head up!

It's all about your attitude. You seem to have a very positive outlook on things and that has helped you land some interviews!

Best wishes and be sure to keep us posted!!! :thumb:

12. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Mar 24, 2011

I already got my BA in Natural Science/Mathematics. I have 30 years experience in a laboratory. I want to teach I love teaching I love middle school kids. I can always try to find another lab job (not much easier to find then teaching jobs) I have the experience there. But I LOVE teaching and I have 3 years experience as a sub. I am just hoping in time I will find a job. In my area of NJ there are not as many excess teachers as in some areas. I still feel if I can convince a board of education that I am as good at teaching as I think I am someday I will get my dream job. In the mean time I sub and work at least 2 days a week.

I am also lucky I do not Have to work full time my DH makes enough that we can survive if we live frugally.

I think no one should be discouraged from at least attempting to obtain thier career of choice.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 24, 2011

I truly think these are bleak times to be a teacher & I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but if that's still one's passion, let them go for it. I haven't been a permanent teacher since my 1st yr of teaching in 2006-07 right before the economy started going downhill. I'm so glad I switched gears & was able to return to school in 2008 to be an SLP (speech-lang pathologist) where I'm not limited to working in schools, but hospitals, private practices, clinics, etc. I also got my SLPA (speech-lang path asst) license, which isn't mandatory to be an SLP, but I just got it anyway while waiting to be accepted to grad school.

Yes, getting into teaching is definitely something to seriously think about though. Also, I think those who are already teachers should ALL have a plan B & C of what else they can do if their teaching job flops because even teachers who've been teaching for almost a decade aren't safe.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2011

Oh, I have no doubt it's difficult all around! I just think that if I had known how difficult it would be as a teacher (I've been pink slipped almost every single year!), I would have pursued a different degree, where I could still teach with it, but it may have also opened up a few more doors into other industries (I feel pigeonholed with my BS in liberal studies).

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 24, 2011

Why were you pink slipped every year? Were you on a year-to-year temporary contract?

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2011

It's either due to budget issues or because I was hired as a temp. Many districts are actually only hiring temps just because of how bad budget is/and has been.

And I said I was pink slipped ALMOST every year. There was one year where I moved from probationary year 1 to prob year 2. THat was a great summer as I didn't have to worry about my job for once! :)

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 24, 2011

I think my district has hired new teachers as temp. status only for the past 3-4 years! :(

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2011

That's illegal in DE. It should be everywhere.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2011

Wow... how frustrating. :(

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 24, 2011

Exactly! It's so unfortunate that people can teach (successfully) year after year and NEVER be awarded tenure because the district is afraid to hire people as permanent.

It has happened to several of my friends! Two of them have been teaching in my same district for 5 years and are hired each year on a temporary contract and there's absolutely nothing they can do about it! It's awful. :mad:

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

Not me.

I would have beaten down every door I had to, continued to waitress as I subbed, networked, tutored, volunteered-- done whatever was necessary to get what I wanted.

Look at the energy I put into planning a DISNEY vacation-- do you really think that other people were going to deter me from the career I've wanted since 1965?

Of course, all those people willing to give up on their dream will make it just a tiny bit easier for those determined to attain theirs.

22. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Mar 25, 2011

Thanks. I was just curious and was not trying to offend anyone as I stated in my OP. Anyway, it just saddends me to see so many teachers receive a pink slip who are excellent teachers but are too expensive for us.

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2011

For me, I'm just curious about the students who are just getting their liberal studies degree. Time after time, people have come onto this site asking what else can they do with this degree because they are unable to find a teaching job.

Even if someone switches gears and pursues a different degree, it doesn't mean that they should give up on becoming a teacher. Just... I guess in my mind, obtaining a degree, like in journalism, chemistry, statistics, etc, will open up a few more doors and you won't be pigeonholed into teaching. You can still teach with that degree, just, now you have more options in this economy.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2011

When you really want something, and it's your dream, I think you shouldn't give up. Sure, this are hard times, but people are still getting jobs. This isn't meant to encourage anyone, because I know there are many who have been looking for years. But, there are jobs out there. They might not be your preferred school, or location, and you might even have to move to get it, but I think if I were just entering the teaching field today, I would not switch gears. I never wanted to do anything but teach, so how do you walk away from a life-long dream?

25. mickaboo

mickaboo New Member

Mar 25, 2011

I too am currently looking for a full time teaching job in these hard economic times. I know that education is not the place to be, but I persist because I know that I am meant to make a difference in the lives of the students that I will one day teach. Don't discourage anybody from following their dreams.

26. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 25, 2011

I would have absolutely no idea what to do if I wasn't teaching.

27. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 25, 2011

It saddens me more than the people complaining the loudest are the ones who have been working the longest and because of seniority rules have nothing to lose. The ones most affected, those new to the profession are the ones who are trying so hard to get in and do the job with great energy only to find out that no matter how hard they work they will still be pink slipped over every teacher with seniority.

That is just plain ridiculous.

28. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 25, 2011

With the state of ed I certainly dont consider teaching my 'dream' anymore. That dream of having my own class and being treated professionally and having a secure job based on my talents and dedication is dead, as well as working in a school that puts students first and supports teachers who have a similar vision. That's all dead to me right now, I don't believe it exists, however, I am hoping for a non classroom position as I need to make a living and cannot and will not ever return back to school for another degree to collect dust.

To survive and make a living for my family, I'll always pursue teaching in some capacity.

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 25, 2011

I agree with this. What I am doing now and "my dream" are two different things.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

Not me. Most days I'm living the dream.

31. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Mar 25, 2011

In my district is isn't as bad as in many places but we still have teachers who have only received abot 3 days of supply days all YEAR. I got in at the right time. When I graduated I was so anxious about the job issue. I was fortunate. However, 7 years in, I still get a letter indicating I may be bumped by a more senior teacher every year and am still not secure in my position. So I do feel it is important for new teachers to understand what they are coming into. Only the BEST new grads (say top 10%) are getting a job (and usually it is part time) and they are probably going to be redundant/underemployed for at least 5/10 years which impacts their entire life (if they are going into a district with jobs ~ in some places there really are NO jobs unless you are already in the system ~ Ontario's population is decreasing). I would have still done it now but am very appreciative that I am not brand new.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2011

Complains the loudest about what?

I think in the past year the attitude toward experienced teachers has grown terribly negative...

33. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 25, 2011

I don't regret going back to school and getting my teaching credentials. When I first finished up 2 years ago, everyone told me that it was so difficult to find a position but I did not have a problem so I guess I was lucky. It looks like I'll be cut these year due to budget issues so we'll see what next year brings...But I have a lot of trouble believing that there is no future for teachers. Are we as a nation just going to give up on education? Will teachers just stop retiring or will children just stop being born? Or is everyone going to just give up their jobs and homeschool? Maybe but I doubt it. The economy will improve (it's already beginning to) and districts will have more money in the future. No, it might not go back to being the same profession we want it to be but as long as I can teach, I'm happy. It's the only job I truly love and, at this point, I'm not giving up.

34. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 25, 2011

It's noting personal. No one here has an agenda against older people. It's an observation. It certainly doesn't apply to every single teacher over 50, or anything close to that. But it's silly if you see something, and you try to act like you don't notice it. I've heard more than one teacher say that they actively dissuade their kids from following in their footsteps. And I pretty much agree with Rockguykev's sentiment that older (i.e. more entitled) teachers tend to bellyache more than young (less entitled, most who realize they on the knife's edge when it comes to employment) who are more often just appreciative that they have a job that year.

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2011

All careers are more than competitive right now. Education, at least in my area of the country, has always been a tough market, and now is even more so. Make yourself competitive. Get experience where you can. Learn all you can by volunteering, subbing in great classrooms. Read, read, read. Be passionate, be knowledgeable about current issues in eduction...it's competitive and you will be competing, in any career, against candidates who have experience...offer a total 'package' of energy, enthusiasm, intelligence...:love:

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2011

Peachy, if I ran the world the holders of a Liberal Studies degree would be incredibly in demand outside education because they'd be literate, numerate, scientifically aware, steeped in history, conversant with the arts, and practiced at recognizing and thinking through the connections between and within these subject areas.

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

37. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Mar 25, 2011

In the current economy no job is guarunteed. On my block alone we have my husband 50+ with 30 years experience with his co. layed off, because his department was done away with. Another guy 50+ with 33 years with his co. layed off because his building was shut down. Another guy with 20+ years at his co. 50+ years old layed off because of budget cuts.

Teachers are the only ones that have some security if they have tenure, sure I would love to be one of those people, but I'm not going to give up on my dream because it's going to be hard to earn it.

Off subject my small district is hiring 4 part time jobs and 2 full time jobs because of retirements. I think more older teachers are saying I am retiring now because I have nothing to gain from staying longer.

38. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 26, 2011

Yes. I still plan to pursue my teaching career because, after trying many other fields, I realize this is the job I was meant to do.

I'm a mid-life career changer and have had more than one person say "You're a lot braver than I would be." For me, though, the decision really wasn't that hard. I had considered teaching for a long time, but never seemed to have the time or money needed for going back to school and getting the extra classes I needed. Then, in 2007, I landed a job I thought would be my "secure job" until retirement, only to be let go 4 months later. I had a major health issue immediately after that resulting in a hospital stay of 6 weeks (and eating nothing more substantial than ice chips for that entire time :( ).

When I finally got home and began recovering my strength, I decided the time had come to pursue my dream. I started by getting my Substitute Certification and began subbing at the start of the following school year. I then applied to my alma mater for an alternative license program and completed that in less than 18 months. I received my Middle School Math license 1 year ago this month.

I feel very fortunate to have gotten a teaching job my first year, even though it is only part-time. I work two other jobs to supplement my income. Our state and district are facing severe budget cuts, just like everyone else. I fully realize I will likely be one of the first ones on the chopping block since I am (a) new and (b) only part-time. If that happens, I will go back to subbing.

In the meantime, I am working on getting other certifications and became licensed for math in a neighboring state. I'm doing everything I can to increase my marketability and options because I WILL continue pursuing a career in teaching, even in these tough times.

39. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2011

Today's economy makes it tough for anyone entering any field. Teaching is no exception, it's just that the general public USED to think that teaching was a safe field, and would not be affected by the economy. It will be slow, but things will change.

40. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Mar 26, 2011

I know several tenured teachers that have received pink slips in different school districts. Some had 7 and 8 years in their district. So even having tenure isn't the security it may have once been.

41. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Mar 26, 2011

Alice, IIRC you work in a private school? Has enrollment suffered with the economic downturn? Has that affected classroom support (aides, special ed consult)? Are you still allotted the same dollar amount of supplies each year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.