Are positions posted throughout the summer too?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bartleby, Jun 3, 2015.

1. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jun 3, 2015

I know the big round of postings happens April - June, but will things continue to open up later this month? I realize no one "knows the answer" but usually?

Anyone who saw my thread from last week, I thought I did awful in the demo lesson, first time I stood in front of a class, but they said I did well. They are recommending 2 people to the super, me and someone else who they say is the #1 candidate, the other person has 10 years experience in public school, and I don't even have a cert yet. Admittedly, I am super disappointed as I loved the school and the people I met, everyone was amazing. I wish I stood a shot, but I mean, no one would ever throw the ball on the one yard line when you have the best running back in the league, so I guess you never know.

As far as my options going forward, I was wondering if its likely more positions will get posted?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 3, 2015

From my experience, it becomes a bit more sparse over the next couple months, but then at the end of July and beginning of August when final numbers start to come into play, it tends to ramp up again (more probably in areas where there's more movement)

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 3, 2015

We have three postings at my tiny school that are internal right now. They will post next week sometime.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 3, 2015

This is regional in my experience. In my hometown, most positions didn't even start being posted until school let out. Here, people work as hard as possible to fill positions before the school year is out and summer postings only happen when people leave unexpectedly. That said, I got my first job here in late July. There are always postings for one reason or another, just maybe not as many.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 3, 2015

In NJ, there will continue to be postings all summer long. In truth, there are job opportunities year round here. Since most of the schools use Applitrack, it pays to kind of revisit your applications in the various districts where you have applied, updating any info every couple of months, since that does, I have been told, somewhat move your resume closer to the top. It is not uncommon for districts to have staff that go out on medical leave, pregnancy leave, unexpected moves and life occurrences, so you really can't say that the hiring season is over. The upside to taking a leave position is that once you are away from the summer hoard of applicants, the number of apps for each position drops way down, and the length of time that a position remains open is much shorter - the fact that school is in session can be your friend.

For those who want to be a job seeker, but still get out of town a bit this summer, just make sure that you keep up with your email, voicemail, and it is nice if you are comfortable with Skype, since most districts can use that to some extent.

Best of luck to all of you.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 3, 2015

I was hired for my current job in late August of last year. In my experience of looking, the bulk of the jobs seem to post in May and June, but there are still postings in July and August. Not as many, but definitely still there. Good luck with your continued job hunt.

8. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Jun 4, 2015

Ok, thanks a bunch everybody, I will keep an eye out to see if new things get posted.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2015

Seattle did exactly that in the Super Bowl this year so don't count yourself out just yet!

10. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 4, 2015

I called a district on the phone to ask a few questions, and the HR person let me know they'd be posting again for a few more spots in August like others said.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2015

In my area, the postings for transfers and new hires just went up. Hundreds of them!

12. WISpanishELL

WISpanishELL Rookie

Jun 4, 2015

I also thought that most people were hired in April-June, but I brought this up at lunch the other day and found out that all of the other teachers in the lunchroom were hired in August or even October! There are always people who back out of a job or new students move into a school so that the teachers are pushed over enrollment capacities. This has happened in 2 of the last three years at the school where I am subbing. Don't lose hope!

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2015

I think it is a regional thing; in my area, many jobs aren't posted until summer. Though, many sign intent forms to stay, for some it is a formality. They know that are leaving, but not sure where they are going. Once they find out that they have a new job; they put in their resignations. Sometimes this goes into the summer.