are my kids "normal"?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by shandannon1, Aug 16, 2006.

1. shandannon1

shandannon1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2006

Our school started yesterday!! Yesterday,,,everything went pretty well,,,I was pretty excited about my kids! (1st graders)
    I know this is only the 2nd day, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    This is my first year teaching first grade...and I can't tell if my kids are "normal"
    We have been going over procedures,,and it seems that early in the day, they listen pretty well...walk in a straight line, hands to themselves, most voices turned off,,,they know to raise their hand in class for questions,,(though some do forget to raise their hand if they want to get out of their chair,,,which I know they are still learning, and I politely remind them of the procedure for getting up)

Well, after lunch and recess..the kids almost seem to forget what we have been practicing! During our class time in the afternoon,,it seems like it is a lot harder to get their attention and keep it for more than 2 minutes, and not raising hands for questions,,and out of their seats! Last year I taught 6th grade,,,and I moved down to first this year...I would just like someone to describe to me how your typical 1st graders act at the beginning of school....So sorry so long! Thanks in advance for any comments!

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 16, 2006

Wow from sixth grade to first... that has got to be a shocker! I came from second grade to first and I still am surprised at some little things they can't do! I feel the same way. In the morning they are amazing in lines and following directions and listening, but the afternoon is a whole other story. They are constantly wiggling, have difficulty paying attention and lines are a lot different. So it's not just you!!! My kids were in full day kindergarten last year, so it can't really be the transition.

4. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 16, 2006

Remember, they just finished kindergarten and have been out of routine for three months! They will catch on...I think this behavior is totally normal. The first full week of school can be long, even for teachers! A full day of school is long for 6 year olds! Give them a few weeks!:)

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 16, 2006

The afternoons are SO hard for me.
    We have about a 2 hour block in the morning of instructional time. The morning is usually really great. Then specials, a 15 break which is usually bathroom and handwashing, then lunch. So they are out of the classroom for about an hour and a half. Then they come back for a block of two and a half hours of instructional time. After that huge break it's so hard!! I wish we had a longer morning and a shorter afternoon. Hopefully we'll get used to it.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2006

They are normal alright!

Hang in there:)

7. educ8or2000

educ8or2000 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Sounds normal to me. Try soft music in the afternoon...to soothe them and your nerves! :)

8. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Your situation sounds completely familiar to me. To start, the day is a long day and the children try very hard to control themseleves at the start of the day. But, it is very difficult for a 6 year old to do that all day long. I think it helps to plan more stimulating activities in the afternoon. I always start the day off with my reading block, because I know that the children are able to concntrate best during that time. I would also like to add that the afternoon behavior gets better as the year progresses. Around October/November, it seems like they have longer lengths of self control.

9. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2006

Just remember to keep reinforcing the rules. I always run a tight ship the first few weeks of school until I am certain they know the rule...walking in line, bathroom procedures, raising hands, etc before I let my guard down.