Are most of your friends teachers?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by SpringGirl14, Jun 18, 2010.

1. SpringGirl14

SpringGirl14 Rookie

Jun 18, 2010

Just curious? Have any of you become good friends with the other teachers at your school? I have a friend/aquaintance who is a teacher and she pretty much only hangs out with other teachers, all who she met at her job? Is this the norm?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2010

Most of my friends are teachers that I have met while on the job. I think we tend to become friends with other teachers because they know exactly what we go through on a daily basis. I do have other friends from school that are teachers, but we were friends before college.

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 18, 2010

I think only a fellow teacher can understand why our work schedules are so nuts and why we can't call to chat on a "normal" basis because most good teachers I know work 12 hour days!

But I have a variety of friends. Once I had my daughter, I befriended other mom's with children about her age.

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

I think it's natural to gravitate towards teachers but there are so many other factors that go into friendship. For instance, I relocated last year so I am friends with the teachers at my building because they're the majority of the people I know around here. On the other hand, I teach at a small school and only one teacher is near my age group (within 10 years). Naturally, I gravitate to her more but she's married and starting a family so we are at very different stages in our lives. I'm friends with the teachers but I wouldn't call us close.

Most of my friends are outside of the teaching field. Of course it does get hard at times to balance our friendships with my work "schedule" since like others have said, most people outside of the field don't understand the demands of the profession.

6. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jun 18, 2010

Most of my friends here in my current city are teachers. Most are from my last position. We bonded over the situation we were in.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2010

Most of my friends are not teachers, but that's because it took me several years of living in my new home town before I got a full time teaching job. Also, I'm a generation younger than most of the teachers in my department, so there isn't a huge amount we have in common in terms of going out at night and hanging out.

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

Most of my friends work with children in some aspect. A friend who works at the boys and girls club, juvenile detention center, But now that i think of it, i have aunts, cousins who all went to school and work in the education center... so my answer is yes!

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

Most of my friends are teachers.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 6, 2010

When I first moved here it was quite unusual to hear that people in their work environment were close friends. I always kept my personal and business life separate but I have become very good friends with 80% of my school. We always hang out with each other, give advice, vent, celebrate, whatever the occasion!

It can be hard, though, when there is an issue...

11. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

As a career change new teacher, I have several friends who happen to be teachers. Currently my friends have varied jobs, programmers, accountants, self employed people, etc..

But from this thread, I am looking forward to meeting new friends at my new school... :)

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2010

Yes, most are. There are a few that aren't, but I'd say that the closest ones are teachers.

13. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 6, 2010

I have a pretty big variety in my friends, but quite a few are teachers.

14. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 6, 2010

I think its 50/50 with me.

15. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 20, 2010

I think I am outside the norm here. Most of my friends are not teachers. I have made it a point to not discuss teaching with them.

16. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jul 20, 2010

I have friends who are teachers and I have friends all across the board from doctors, students, blue collar, white collar, etc. However, I feel I am only barely acquainted with the other teachers at my school. I'm male and white and single. Many of my fellow teachers are female, black, and not single. I think more than anything, it's the being single and of opposite gender that bars those work place relationships from growing outside of work. It's an assumption of impropriety that comes with being seen together outside of school. None of us want that. It makes me sad but that seems to be the way it is.