Are Men better teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jojo808, May 5, 2013.

1. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 5, 2013

About 25 % of teachers are men--yet 50% of US Teacher of the Year honorees are men. It just irritates me. Are men better teachers?

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 5, 2013

I love that!

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 5, 2013

Yes, yes we are.
    (yeah I'm kidding...)

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 5, 2013

Why does it irritate you?

Good teachers are good teachers--gender shouldn't matter.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

I guess I just don't worry about stuff like that...

...I get more stressed out when my chocolate stash at school gets low...:hugs:

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 5, 2013

Well, Teacher of the Year means absolutely nothing to me.

A former high school teacher of mine "earned" the honor years back. I had her for three classes - one was a PE class and the other were academic courses.

She argued at length with the class during one lesson. She claimed that saber-toothed tigers were still alive and well in Utah. Nothing we showed her would change her mind. One student was very upset about her unwillingness to back down and realize her error. At the end of the week our normal multiple choice test was whittled down to a single question: "Are there saber-toothed tigers still alive in Utah?" It was a question of control at that point.

So, no, it doesn't bother me at all because I think it is a ridiculous program. If anyone that cannot speak clear English despite being raised here, educated here and teaches here, cannot correct a child without cussing and purposefully fails children because they disagree with her is able to achieve such an honor, the honor is worthless.

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 5, 2013

When you say 50% of ToY honorees are men, do you mean the ones that have earned the reward over the last several years or do you mean the honorees for the award THIS year. I couldn't find any data on either of these. Since I don't know where you are getting your numbers, I also don't know if the numbers are supposed to represent all past honorees or just those from this year.

A little clarification would help, as would a link to site or story giving these numbers.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 5, 2013

I think many teachers feel this way too.

In my home district, teachers are asked if they are willing to have their names submitted for ToY consideration. Many of the best teachers do not want to participate because it means a lot of extra work for the sake of a title they consider to be mainly worthless. I also heard a lot of comments similar to yours from fellow teachers regarding those who DID win the "award".

I assume it is the same way in many districts (if not most) across the country.

So while the award may sound great to parents and the general public, several of the best teachers I've worked with have no interest at all in receiving the award.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2013

We have no such award in my district...in a previous school, they'd ask "who hasn't gotten it yet" and choose from those.:dizzy:

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 5, 2013

Could it be that they are trying to encourage the males to stay in the business? I know our very few male teachers are beloved on campus-both by students and by teachers, because of the way they are a role model for some students who are missing that at home.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 5, 2013

At one school we only had two teachers that were eligible, one of those had been TOY at a previous school so the second woman got it.

14. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 5, 2013

As a math person, I think it is best to look at all the data and not just the teacher of the year. Teachers of the year are less than 0.1% of the teaching population. By looking only at this data, the other 99.9% are ignored. Therefore, this data shows little if men are any better than women teachers.

In general, I don't think that men are better or worse teachers than women. The men I know who are teachers I have seen a large percent being either outstanding teachers or very poor teachers. This isn't always true, but when I think of the worst and best teachers I have seen, many men come to mind in both categories. This is based only on my personal experience.

I am not sure why it irritates you that more men are teachers are the year. Do you really think the vote is biased on gender? It would not bother me if 90% of the winners are women, if 90% are truly the best candidate.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

I had thirteen male teachers throughout my K-12 education, mostly at the high school level in ag, tech, and history courses. Two were bad teachers, most average, and a couple were great. I'd have to sit down and figure out female numbers before I can know if this means anything. But generally, I don't view either as superior. There are a few charactertistics or skills I see one gender having more than the other in my experiences, but I won't go there because I know some people will fail to understand I'm speaking only from my experiences and not transferring that to all teachers. ;)

That said, I HATE these ridiculous awards for several reasons. Bunch of garbage.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 5, 2013

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

I think most of these awards should be renamed prizes... If you want to award me for my amazing teaching, I shouldn't be fighting for it through essays, observations, interviews, and so forth to win the prize in the end.

18. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 5, 2013

Thank you all for your comments. I had to really think about why it bothered me. Thank you to the person that asked that!

I think that I have been a little more sensitive lately about how women are treated--reproductive rights being threatened, comments about rape, and the bias against teachers (who are mostly women) in my state. Then I read something about the ToY honoree, did some very substandard research, and posted my rant.

I know those awards don't literally mean that that person is the best teacher. I guess I just got irritated that more men are being recognized.

I'm over it.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 5, 2013

regardless of the award recipients, I would have to say that yes men are better teachers. No bias at all...

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 5, 2013

If it's true that men receive more recognitions and awards in our profession, I wouldn't be surprised. It seems that in our society men are frequently rewarded for many things that women are not rewarded for, or at least not as often. More promotions are given to men than to women, and that's true across many professions. I'd be curious to see the numbers on men in admin versus women in admin....

21. readingrules12

May 5, 2013

Being a male teacher, I have seen a reason for why certain men do well in teaching and other men don't. I think people learn the most from people who are most different from themselves.

I learned early on as a male teacher (sometimes the only 1 in the entire school) that there were female teachers who were much better at some things than I was. This included attention to detail and dealing with certain girl problems. These female teachers were so helpful to me in teaching me things that I needed to know more about. Their doors were always open.

Today I am a far better teacher because of them. Reflecting on it, the two best male teachers I know both had strong female teacher influences. Therefore, these TOY awards are wrong. The winner of these awards don't show all the teachers who were behind the scenes helping the teacher all along.

22. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 5, 2013

When I look at the top ten worst teachers my children have had, 8 of them were males. I have never met a male teacher (in the community where I live) that impressed me. Most of them seem like they are only there for the coaching aspect. They show little compassion towards their students. They were all lecture, now do the worksheet, now take the test kind of teachers. Need help? Well, let's wait and see how you do on the next test.

At my school we have had 9 male teachers in my building over a period of twenty years. Only one impressed me. He was outgoing and enthusiastic even after 39 years. He wasn't afraid to act like he liked the kids. He was not there for the coaching aspect of the job.

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 5, 2013

You have a top 10 list of the worst teachers your kids have had? hmm, never even considered such a thing.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

Haha...I have lists, too. :)

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2013

However, as a state we rank high on other education 'lists':)

http://www.njea.org/about/who-we-are/good-news

26. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 5, 2013

It's rather curious, isn't it?

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 5, 2013

Thankfully my list is just three horrible, horrible teachers long. And it's my head.

28. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 5, 2013

:agreed:

29. bros

bros Phenom

May 6, 2013

My list numbers three also.

Two HS teachers and one college professor, the latter of whom I filed a complaint against with the college and state over.

30. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 6, 2013

I didn't have the list set up until I read this topic. I did ask my children who their worst teachers were and they had the same names as I did. By the way, I never refer to their teachers as "bad" when discussing issues with my children. I usually say that the teacher is not a good match for them as far as their learning style.

31. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 6, 2013

No. Do some children do better with a man teacher. I think so just like some may do better with a woman. Elementary, as we all know, is the domain of lady teachers. So when a man shows up kids react differently. I will say this. As principals go I have enjoyed working for women. And most have been very good.

32. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 6, 2013

One of my coworkers (a male) won teacher of the month for our district last year. The P advertised it as if he had been hand chosen by the district for his outstanding teaching. However, because I am close with someone close to the P, I know the real story.

He wasn't chosen because he was so great. He was chosen because the P sent out emails to about 10 select people at our school and told them to write nomination letters for him to the board.

She even listed some of his achievements and positive qualities to "help them get started" and told them to submit their nominations to her for final approval by C.O.B Friday, then SHE would send them to the board.

I'm not sure how things are done in other places, but my understanding is that writing a nomination letter should be OPTIONAL, not mandatory.

I am not bitter or angry, but I have done a learning walk in his classroom and I wasn't impressed. He wasn't doing a bad job, but I've seen better work from other coworkers.

However, the difference is that he does things that makes the P look good, like teaching to the test so the kids score high; tutoring 4 days a week for 2 - 3 hours; and asking the local paper to come to our school whenever his students are doing anything so our names are often in the paper.

So anyhow, I don't feel angry or sad or even bad when people get nominated because it doesn't always mean they are a great/better than me teacher.

33. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 6, 2013

That's how it is in my area. Don't even get me started on a teacher who won last year...

34. readingrules12

May 6, 2013

I think your response says more about those who coach and teach then about male teachers. I must say it is a good point that you make that those who coach often don't do as well in the classroom. This is partly because many teachers in high school are hired first as "football coach", "basketball coach" etc. and then are required to teach a few classes. I agree that many of these coaches are not good teachers. (Although I have come across exceptions to this rule). I wish that if they are going to hire coaches who aren't really teachers, that they leave them out of the classroom. All teachers should earn their teaching jobs including coaches. :2cents:

35. msufan

msufan Comrade

May 7, 2013

I will say that to be a male teacher in elem. ed, you have to have a real passion for it. Countless people told me I was foolish for considering such a field (as a male with other, more lucrative options) when I was in college.

36. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

May 8, 2013

The point of the thread was that men in education are recognized/acknowledged/appreciated more often than women in education.

I was being facetious with the thread title. I do not think men are better teachers than women. Some are, some aren't.

37. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 8, 2013

I think the comments about coaches are a little unfair. Just like saying that men or women are better teachers, ect. I'm not a coach but some of the best teachers I've had were. Did I have teachers who coached and were awful? Yes but I had many more bad teachers who weren't coaches.

Often times teachers(especially men) get roped into coaching just because they want a job. I'm still worried I'm going to get stuck coaching a sport even though it wasn't mentioned when I was hired. Hopefully it wont come up but if they ask I'm going to do it.

38. msufan

msufan Comrade

May 8, 2013

It could be that men are more willing to self-promote?

39. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 8, 2013

[​IMG]
    look at me look at me........but a good point!

40. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 8, 2013

Which brings us back to my original question; are you talking about the National ToY winners for the last several years or just the field for this year?

We've had many, many comments explaining that ToY doesn't necessarily mean the winner really IS the "best" teacher in the country, it just means (s)he is the one that was willing to jump through all the hoops necessary to get the "award".