Are jobs drying up already?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, May 5, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 5, 2010

Around here, school is in until the end of June, but I seem to only be getting half days this week, and all in one district. I'm guessing that teachers have run out of personal days, so that may be part of it.

I also had one full day job for this week and one half day for later in the month cancelled on me today. No idea what that's about.

I expect the jobs to get fewer and far between for the last week or two, but not with eight weeks to go.

3. Proud Mom

Proud Mom Rookie

May 6, 2010

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same thing...job assignments are definitely decreasing here too!

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 6, 2010

I remember the days slowing when I subbed...don't worry there are a few that will take a day off here & there...just harder to do when you're wrapping up. You may see a little pick up after mother's day I know a lot of teachers who work on projects!!!

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 6, 2010

There might be a slight uptick after mother's day and after state tests are over. I know there were always a few teachers in my old school who had to use up unused personal days or lose them.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 6, 2010

MM... that's kinda what I was trying to say. Teacher's are usually pretty protective when it comes to projects (I'm not saying that's bad).
    I remember one year having a sub job that started on Monday & I was called like every evening the whole week before Mother's Day to come in. Bad part I had to come up with something for Mother's Day. We did yarn flowers & them mom's liked them a lot!!! I think I had each child do between 3-5 flowers.

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 7, 2010

Teachers probably want to continue working until school lets out. Since there is so few days left in the year.

8. ms.t.

ms.t. Rookie

May 13, 2010

Things are slow for me right now because of STAR testing. I'm pretty sure things will pick up again next week if it's anything like last year! Last year, I had almost nothing during testing and then things picked up again very quickly as soon as it was over.

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 13, 2010

I have 2 more weeks and everyday of next week is booked excpet one and I prob wont work that last week since its my sisters bday that week and she will be in town.

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 13, 2010

Teachers are using up their personal days right now. So, there are LOTS of sub jobs coming up on Aesop. I worked every day this week and have Friday booked already.

I need to check the schools' online calendars and find out when they are each having their Field Days. Teachers tend to be absent on those days - and I don't care to sub for that.

There was a funny Aesop posting the other day. A high school science teacher was going to be absent. He put a note on the posting that the students would be dissecting frogs! That was a "reject" for me! :)

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 13, 2010

At least he warned you! But really, would he want just anyone teaching them that! That seems odd to me, not to mention the liability you have with a room full of teenagers you dont know holding scapals! No Thank you!

12. azure

azure Companion

May 13, 2010

I only have 3 days left in May that I don't have booked. I have been busy all year. In fact here lately, the buildings have had more subs in them than usual. They have run out of subs several days. Part of that is due to the fact that our local university is out, so students who sub are not around.

13. Little Monster

Little Monster Rookie

May 13, 2010

Most of my jobs are by teacher request and I am getting a ton of that right now. I cant work tomorrow so I just checked aesop and same thing... TONS of jobs open and normally you are lucky if you can click an open job quick enough.

14. AhoyHoy

AhoyHoy Rookie

May 16, 2010

I haven't been subbing regularly all year due to a variety of reasons, but I've actually noticed the opposite of what you're experiencing - I've been getting way more calls than normal. I'm really not sure of why that is, though.

15. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

May 16, 2010

I have been really busy too. In fact, I have been getting so many teacher request jobs that I am already booked for that I might hedge my bets and not book too far in advance. But on any given day there are about 10 unclaimed jobs in my district on Aesop. If only there was as much demand for contract! ;)