Are high schoolers really that horrible?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by noone1982, Jun 8, 2007.

1. noone1982

noone1982 Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Let me first thank you all for your insight into my becoming physics teacher thread.

I'v been reading around such as aboutmyjob.com and so forth and the general impression I get is that teachers are fed up with the rudeness, apathecism and the babysitting effort.

Is it really that bad or is it just a few horror stories really skewing the picture?

Reading such stories on the internet is doing a good job of dampening my enthusiasm and introducing doubt into my decision.

Give it to me straight, are they that bad?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2007

Nope.

They're amazing creatures, full of hope and enthusiasm and wonder. Sometimes they hide all that stuff in teenage angst, but undeneath you'll find some really cool kids.

4. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jun 8, 2007

I have student taught with tenth graders and did a shorter placement with juniors. I very much enjoyed them! (Of course, I am only a few years older than they.)

They are insightful, have so many potentials, can talk about current issues, and have so many things going on.

The students I have had as a student teacher were very fun. Of course, there were a few who hated me just because I was a teacher, and a few who refused to participate because they'd rather sleep or were too-cool-for-school, but you do the best you can.

I'm so excited for you!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2007

And, for what it's worth: the type of kids you're likely to see in a Physics class are likely to be the cream of the crop.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 8, 2007

Every age group has it's positive and negative aspects. Also, it varies greatly between schools and classrooms. Many HS teachers have different views of the same student/s due to a difference in classroom management. My opinion is that if you want to work with this age group and are willing to work to make a connection with them, then you will be a great teacher :)

7. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Jun 9, 2007

Awesome reply. I teach seniors with one section of juniors, and could not agree more. I love 'em. They pull stunts, they get lazy, and they amaze me with incredible insight all in the same day.

8. hsia

hsia New Member

Jun 9, 2007

I agree with Mr Duck 12. (So, by the way wit Tasha)
    They can be amazing, they are smart, curious, but, hey! Remember! How were you when you were their age? You have to use the stick or the carrot, some need to be pushed, some to be flattered, but overall they need to feel that you don't consider them like kids but future adults. And show some trust, specially to the less motivated, you can change a behavior, just by giving them responsibilities... ( like, for example, ask the "bad" student to do the demonstration experiment in front of the class, and lead step by step, and, very important, then show a real appreciation)

9. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jun 9, 2007

No doubt, teaching is the most difficult job I have ever had, but it is by far the most rewarding, too. Personally, I think a lot of what you experience with your students in the classroom will depend upon you. You will set the tone with your enthusiasm for your subject. You will set the standards for their performance. The students will respond accordingly, and if you demand it, do great things!:)

Good luck!

10. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Jun 9, 2007

Totally agree with this...there have been many times this year when I have started to get mad at them (I have juniors and also 7th graders) but then thought...they're kids! I would have done the same thing. If you can make a connection with them and have a reasonable/consistent discipline policy, they the kids will respond. Even the bad ones, if they know you are being consistent, usually they will at least understand, even if they don't like you.

Don't give up on your dream. You are hearing the frustrated minority...many teachers might feel that way some of the time but many more remember and treasure the good times, experiences, etc.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 9, 2007

My kids amaze me! I have taught all grades, but this year I jus teach freshmen and seniors and they are a pleasure. Though I only teach honors and AP classes, the kids for the most part are awesome! Most of them realize that we are here to help them to get to college and on with life. I am amazed with their isnight that they use during my class discussions and even in their papers.

12. FSUalum

FSUalum Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

High school can be unbelievably rewarding.

I started out teaching High School (French, Economics, World Geography and World History) for the first three years.

I was terrified at first; they all looked older than me! But, from Day One, I loved it. They were independent, thoughtful, funny and able to reason. I liked that I could really talk to them like "adults" and they "got it."

Sure, it could be difficult at times, but the good far outweighed the bad. I have some horror stories, but I have a lot more funny and good stories.

Even though I switched to middle school three years ago (my principal started a new school and talked me into following him with promises of a/c that worked), my former h.s. kids have sought me out and have kept in touch--easy since my middle school is right next door to the high school!

Almost all of my former h.s. kids are in their early 20s, though my last batch has just graduated.

In just the past year: I've been to family graduation "parties," homecomings from college, held a newborn, been called up on Christmas by one in the military who wanted to let me know how well he was doing and wanted to say thank you, got help when I moved across town, had a group come back and spend two days painting my classroom blue (a mixture of former middle and h.s. students came for that event), got a call when one made it into her dream college...just today I was invited to come watch an indoor soccer team in which a group of my old h.s. kids are playing.

(Did I mention that the high school in which I taught was/is considered to be one of the "toughest" in the county? )

I loved teaching high school, and I love teaching middle school. Heck, I just love teaching.

Don't let any horror stories scare you away!