Are Fireworks Allowed in YOUR City?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2012

So I've been gone pretty much all weekend & while driving home yesterday in another city (& county), my BF & I passed by a few of those fireworks stands. We even stopped to take a look & were so tempted to buy some! I still see a few types that I remember when I was a child.

I haven't lit fireworks since I was a child & every 4th of July, my parents would buy me a box of them & we'd enjoy them at one of the parks. But, fireworks aren't allowed in my current city, so my BF & I knew that even if we bought them, we'd have to drive far just to light them. Oh well, maybe one of these years, we'll do it! Ironically, I don't care for going to a stadium, etc. to watch the professional ones from afar.

Does your city allow them? Do you prefer to light them yourself or watch them at a show?
    In my city, at the community college, they do have a fireworks show.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2012

Our town is doing them tonight. We've had several people in the neighborhood shooting them off last night and tonight.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

Yes, and some people shot them off earlier this evening.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2012

My state prohibits the sale of 'personal use' fireworks so it follows that no one should be lighting them off... It's a short drive to Pennsylvania though, where some will buy them and bring back to NJ illegally.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

They were not allowed in my home county but literally everyone had them anyway and no one did anything about it. We lived right in the Tri State area so people could drive 10-20 minutes to be in another state and get them. My neighbors growing up would set them off nightly for practically a full month around the 4th. I'm not sure if they're allowed here normally, but there is a total ban of any fire at all (even campfires in designated areas) here in CO due to the wildfires. Most cities, including mine, have cancelled their professional fireworks for the 4th.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

In my last town, you could buy fireworks as long as it was purchased in a store or at a stand. You couldn't use the illegal ones that shoot into the sky (although, people still lit those). One year, someone lit of them on the street in my former neighborhood, and it fell over, and shot into the house next to us. Thank GOODNESS it didn't hit one of us. I was furous though. What if it hit a bush or tree and caught on fire? Sheesh!

In my new town, I'm 99% that they are not allowed for private use. You can drive and see them professionally done. We live by the beach, so our tradition for now on is to drive to one of the beach towns and watch them from there. :) I like that a whole lot better.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2012

You can't use the aerial fireworks in the city limits any year, but they are banned county wide this year due to the drought.

There are several places that have the professional displays. I prefer them anyway because I couldn't afford anything comparable!

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

No fireworks allowed in NY.....about 7 yrs ago 2 of my friends husbands took a drive to pa to get some....it cost them a night in jail, all the fireworks, impound fees for his truck and lawyer fees....nightmare!

Leave the fireworks to the professionals!

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

Here is a map of laws...

ETA: Click on your state for more information.

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2012

Neat map!

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 1, 2012

They are allowed in my town/state. Bottle rockets are illegal.

My dogs suffer through the 4th. One has to wear a Thundershirt.

Our town used to have a community-wide display but 2 people in the audience were killed (and several injured) when one detonated incorrectly. The community-wide display went away for about a decade. It's back now. We don't go, we can see some of it from our house.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2012

I know a policeman who confiscated fireworks and then shot them off himself.

14. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 1, 2012

My city allows them only 3 days a year- New Years Eve and Day, and 4th of July. All other times they are illegal.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2012

Only certain types are allowed, but a lot of people drive to Tennessee and buy them. My neighbors had some massive fireworks last year. It's horribly dry here this year. I hope they have enough sense to avoid them this year.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

Fireworks are illegal in NY.

That doesn't mean they won't happen; PA is a just a few hours away. We'll be able to sit on our corner and enjoy several illegal displays.

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 2, 2012

It is legal to buy them in Ohio, but it is illegal to shoot them off. (I know, doesn't make sense)

18. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jul 2, 2012

It's illegal here, but everyone sets them off anyways. Usually, whoever has a big yard or empty lot sets a bunch off and invites everyone on the street.

19. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 2, 2012

Illegal, but people set them off anyway here too. It's not unheard of for people to drive down to Mexico or onto an Indian reservation to buy the really big stuff. As a child, I spent the holiday in an area where they were allowed and saw a large tree in someone's yard (and subsequently their house) catch fire. Not a big fan since then.

20. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 2, 2012

Nope :mad:
    I grew up running the lines for the BIG shows as the daughter of a pyrotechnician. I really miss fireworks. I understand why they have made shooting off the "little" ones but I miss them all the same.