Are dresses practical for elementary school teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by socaligirl, Aug 11, 2009.

1. socaligirl

socaligirl Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I have recently begun switching my wardrobe over from all pants to pretty much all dresses and skirts. I was looking at pictures of an elementary school that I am going to be volunteering in...and everyone wears pants! Is this going to be a problem for me as someone who now almost never wears pants?

I am a very modest dresser and all of my outfits are to the knee, so it wouldn't be an issue of any of my clothing being too revealing. I'm just wondering if there's something I should know before buying anymore clothes. :lol:

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 11, 2009

I wear skirts practically everyday and I teach Kinder. They are very washable, long so I can sit on the floor in them and comfortable but I rarely wear pants to school and our campus is casual.

4. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I wear dresses and skirts nearly everyday....they are just more comfortable for me. Be sure they are long enough for sitting on the floor easily.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I also wears skirts all the time when it is warm. I have taught fifth, but am moving to 3rd. I think I'll still be alright!

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I wear dresses every day...I don't own a pair of pants. As long as they are comfortable and you can move easily you should be fine.

7. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

I'm baffled at how you all wear skirts and dresses so often. How are they comfortable when you have to wear Spanx/stockings???

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

I wear skirts all the time. No stockings or spanx for me, have to be comfortable. I don't think I even own a pair of pantyhose anymore!!

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I don't find pantyhose uncomfortable at all.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

When I taught fifth grade, I wore skirts allll the time. I love the big, poofy 50's style skirts and dresses. I wore them with sweaters, t-shirts, blouses and flats. I'm more into capris now, but I still love that style. I don't think I'd be able to wear the tighter skirts, like the pencil skirt style, but there are many skirts that would work well. I think you're fine!

Oh, and I didn't wear stocking, either. I went bare-legged in the summer, fall and spring, and wore knee socks in the winter. I love a good pair of knee socks. I think I might have worn thick, fun tights every once in a while, but they had to be thick enough not to run.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2009

Dresses certainly can be practical for elementary level teaching. When I student taught for a 3rd grade class once, my cooperating teacher was what I believed to be the BEST dressed teacher I've ever seen. Her usual attire consisted of hosiery, heels, & business type skirts, blouses, slacks, & dresses, so YES it be done. I don't think any teacher has to settle for looking tacky, too casual, or whatever one wants to call it. No offense & I'm a teacher too, but in my district anyway, the teachers are the tackiest bunch of folks I've ever seen.

12. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

I love dresses and skirts for the warm months. I wear them for most of Setp-Oct and April- June. I hate stockings so once it gets cool the pants come out!
    I teach first and have never had a problem!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 11, 2009

The only issues I can think of are being too short or if they are tighter (pencil skirts) you may not be able to sit on the floor or bend over comfortably. Other than that, it should be fine. I wear skirts/dresses about once a week and haven't had any problems.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2009

When I wore a very full skirt, I always wore bicycle shorts underneath since the wind and I didn't always get along! I never had a close call but would rather the kids see shorts opposed to other things. :)

15. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

Also you have to check to make sure the kids can't see up your skirt if you're sitting at a chair and they're on the floor for calendar or story time .

16. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

I am a kindergarten teacher, and I wear dresses all the time. I love the cotton dresses you can get at Old Navy or at Target. I still look professional, but I am still comfortable. However, I do love to wear pants as well. :)

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2009

I teach third and I love wearing dresses and skirts. I don't wear pants until it gets cold.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 11, 2009

I wore a skirt only one day last year and I felt very exposed. I didn't like it at all!

19. maroki

maroki Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Me too! I tried wearing one several times last year (maybe 3-4) and I just couldn't get comfortable enough to wear them more. I have good intentions - I put them on in the morning sometimes, only to take them off and change before I leave for work.

20. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

I wear dresses and skirts all the time and no wardrobe malfunctions so far, no spanx needed. I think they look much more professional than the casual stuff many others wear. Low-rise pants are too problematic for me as far as showing more than I want to.

21. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

The way I look at it, Miss I, is that I am at school not to make a fashion statement, but to teach. I need to be comfortable and will address professionally, but with this in mind.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I do both & I've taught kindergarten up to 3rd grade. Before I lost 20 lbs I just looked better in my skirts. My skirts were long so I ofter wore trouser socks with them.

23. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I don't wear pants either. Just skirts when dressing professionally. Either longer skirts with a nice blouse or else a to-the-knee pencil skirt with dark TIGHTS and a button-down shirt or turtleneck, sometimes even a crew neck t-shirt with a blazer and scarf looks fine. I can't stand stockings either, and tights keep anyone from seeing up your skirt.

24. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Aug 11, 2009

I haven't wore stockings since I was 8 and that was just when it was church day. Whew, too hot and HUMID here for that!!!
    Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere it wasn't hot all the time

25. SweetHomeAlabam

SweetHomeAlabam Companion

Aug 11, 2009

Oh forgot to add...
    I was shopping today too (student teaching this fall also!!!) and I was thinking about all these maxi dresses. The only thing is they are spagetti strapped and I don't think that looks prof. at all according to my university...
    but a cute little sweater would cover up the shoulders.
    I am going to keep an eye on this thread b/c I want to know too.:D

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I hope to wear more dresses this year, though not if we actually follow the rule that we need to wear hose with skirts. If that's really the case, no deal.

27. MsGidget

MsGidget Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I teach first grade and I wear skirts and dresses all the time. I never wear stockings with them though I do wear tights in the winter and as long as I buy ones that fit properly, they're perfectly comfortable. All of my skirts and dresses are knee length or just below the knee and I am able to bend or sit on the floor in them with no problem.

28. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

I own one skirt--and I only wear it when the weather gets hot. If I owned dresses appropriate for work, I would wear them, but I don't. I find that wearing pants is more practical for what I do, and I don't believe I look any less professional. Men wear pants and look professional--women can do the same.