Are distrist websites job openings lies?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Nash, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Nash

Nash Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

I have applied for 5 science jobs this summer and have received 0 responses. Are the jobs posted on the district websites already taken before they're even put on the site and the only purpose for them being on the site is to abide by state law? Is nepotism this bad in teaching that no new blood can get a job after student teaching unless I have a good friend or 5 years of subbing? What's the deal?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Some posted jobs are filled internally. Most jobs are posted, resumes submitted and interviews are scheduled...with hundreds of submitted resumes for any one opening in many districts, thse who don't get the interviews don't hear anything:sorry:. Applying to only 5 jobs is not a lot...don't wait for posting...next time send your resume to EVERY public, private and charter school within a reasonable commute. Also consider having an expert ( and there are many here! ) look over your resume to polish it up. Good luck to you.

4. Math

Math Cohort

Aug 28, 2012

They may have just forgot to take down the position. I know my district clearly shows which positions everyone can apply to and which ones are in house positions.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

It's possible that you just aren't making the cut. Putting in 5 applications really doesn't give you enough information to make accusations of nepotism or lying. There are probably a hundred other applications (or more) for each one of yours. It stands to reason that you'd have to be in the top three slots to even warrant an interview. What have you done to set yourself apart enough so that potential interviewers would rank you in the top three before meeting you?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Could it be that your resume or cover letter simply need work? That you're not presenting your qualifications as attractively as possible??

You've applied to FIVE jobs???? When I was first looking, I sent a cover letter and resume to 125 districts, plus about a dozen individual Cathoic schools and the Archdiocese of NYC. It seems that perhaps you could cast a wider net.

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 28, 2012

Postings for filled positions are still up on my district's website for some reason. (I have no idea why they don't take them down, though.)

8. Nash

Nash Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

I live on the Southern Border of Washington State, I can't get certified in Oregon anytime soon that leaves me to local districts which is 7 public schools reaching 50 minutes as the longest commute. I could sends to more districts if I wanted to travel 2 hours a day there and back. Then again my the districts around me have this rule that if you aren't already an employee then you can't apply for jobs and I'm not willing to drive 2 hours just to sub. Also, 125 districts? NYC sure is different than mine.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Nash...there's only 7 schools within a 50 mile commute? Any charters or private schools?

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 28, 2012

Maybe you did poorly on the Insight Test? Most districts require this and if you do not score within a certain percentage' we will not interview you... Or maybe your resume needs some work?

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

I feel for you Nash...when I first applied, I marked out 60 miles, and I also had 7 districts to which to apply. It's disheartening. There are no private schools here, nor charters.

I assume relocating isn't an option?

12. Nash

Nash Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Districts, typo

13. Nash

Nash Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

We don't have insight tests here. And if my resume didn't cut it then I feel even more disheartened at the hiring process if the style of a resume determine whether or not someone even reads the information on it pertaining to my ability to teach.

Also, if it's my lack of teaching experience that said resume should show, am I under qualified in today's world? I figured not having a masters degree would seem like a plus as many districts are cutting teachers from obvious budget costs and not having to pay a teacher thousands simply for having a master would seem like a pro imo.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Your resume is what will get you in the door for an interview. Style matters, but not as much as the content. If your resume doesn't shine in both style and content, you can kiss the chance for an interview goodbye.

Am I reading correctly that you have no teaching experience? And no masters degree? What exactly are you bringing to the table if not experience or education?

My district isn't allowed to cut teachers simply for having masters degrees in order to replace them with inexperienced or undereducated teachers. It's a violation of our teaching contract.

I'm getting a weird, very negative vibe from your posts. Is that your intention? It might be a better idea for you to work on your resume and cover letter as others have suggested, rather than complaining about how your resume, cover letter, experience, and education shouldn't matter. Just a friendly suggestion.

15. Nash

Nash Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

I am saying a lack of teacher experience as I wouldn't consider student teaching and a year of subbing a lack of teaching experience. As previously stated, I do not have a masters degree. But with a point you made, how much experience is required in order to be deemed someone who can bring something to the school's table? 3+ years? For that matter is a masters degree required for a job? Why not say requires 3+ years and a masters degree on their requirements? It would surely help with the filtering process for them. They'd rather list the bear minimum which is actually the perfectly qualified requirements for the job and only choose those with what I listed earlier or more. This brings me back to my original point, are they just lying about there even being a job in the first place.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 29, 2012

A masters degree and/or 3+ years teaching experience are not necessarily required to get a job (unless the post specifically mentions these qualifications). As Caesar mentioned, what matters most to the school is "What can you bring to the position and their school?"

Subbing is a great way to get practical experience AND give you examples of what YOU bring to the classroom that others may not. Subbing, by nature, requires good classroom management skills and gives you the opportunity to answer questions about how you have handled challenging situations in the classroom.

Even if you don't have a lot of sub experience, though, you can translate experience from other jobs to show the skills you would bring to the school. I worked in healthcare purchasing for 13 years. During my first interviews, I would normally use experience from that field to illustrate some of my best accomplishments or how I handled difficult situations.

If you aren't getting interviews at all, then I agree with the others that your resume' and cover letter might need some polishing. You are competing with hundreds of other applicants, so it is vital that your resume' and cover letter grab the districts attention. The best suggestion for improving that is to post both under the Job Seekers forum and let the experts here give you some suggestions on what could be changed.

You stated that you aren't getting certified in Oregon anytime soon. Why not? What are the certification requirements for Oregon? Are they that much different than the requirements for Washington? When you live near the state line, getting certified in the next state is an obvious step. I live near the border of TWO other states and I've gotten my license in both to increase the area where I can apply.

If crossing the state line isn't an option, for whatever reason, the next suggestion would be to add more certifications to your existing license. If Washington accepts Praxis II scores, you only have to pass the exam in a different area to become certified after getting initial license.

My initial license is in Middle School Math. I've added Middle School Science through Praxis II and am working on adding High School Math as well. After that, I plan to pursue Middle School Social Studies. The more diversified you are, the more you have to offer the districts.

I understand how frustrating the job search can be. It's terrible to send out resume's and never hear anything back. That just means you have to send even MORE resume's and also consider delivering your information packets to the schools personally. Go into the office, introduce yourself and ask if it might be possible to meet with the Principle for 5-10 minutes. Even if the P cannot meet with you, the secretary will let him/her know you took the time to show up personally, which indicates your level of desire and commitment.

This is what happened with my current job (my first full-time teaching position). I delivered my packet to the Central Office (as per instructions on the website). There was no secretary out front, so I walked down the hall till I found someone in an office. Turns out, that "someone" was the Superintendent! He allowed me to walk into his office unannounced and even conducted an impromptu interview when I presented my information. A couple of months later, I got the call for the interview and eventually was offered the job I've been looking for.

It IS frustrating, but persistence eventually pays off. ;)

17. Nash

Nash Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

I wish it were this easy but Washington state only allows new tests scores to turn into more endorsements if it relates to the field of your original degree. I graduated with biology and took a few more classes to become certified in science as well. I can get certified in chem, phys, and geo/space if I have 90 days of classroom teaching in bio or science as well as pass the test for the former 3 mentioned. In order to get certified in history, art, english, anything outiside of science I need to do another college program.

18. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Aug 29, 2012

I understand your frustration Nash..In regards to someone's comment about the resume, I am a new teacher myself and I had my university supervisor, her supervisor, and my cooperating teacher look over my resume and they made notes/suggestions for revising it. So coming from three different professionals, I edited my resume..Does that mean mine isn't good enough either? Because I have applied to almost every school district within a 40 mile radius and have only had maybe 4 interviews for an actual teaching position.

19. Portulaca

Portulaca Rookie

Aug 29, 2012

Hi Nash,

It sounds like we might be neighbors, relatively speaking - I live near the Washington border, but on the Oregon side, and in the eastern part of the state. Is that sort of where you are?

Anyway, I empathize...I'm going into year #3 of subbing with a license, and it does get frustrating sometimes. I wanted to throw out an idea, if you're at all interested in trying to break into the Oregon market. If you're in the rural (eastern) area, you might want to inquire in the nearest Oregon school districts about emergency sub credentials. Anyone with a bachelor's degree should be eligible if they can get a district to sponsor their paperwork, and based on what I heard at sub training a couple weeks ago, I'm pretty sure my district is still willing to do that. The catch is that you can only work (I think) 60 days per year in any one district, and no LTS, but if you sign up with more than one, that should be OK. Also (big plus) daily subbing pays around $160 here.

Also...I'm sure you know this if you're from the region, but coaching sports really is the main way people get secondary jobs here (and you don't actually need coaching experience, or not very much, from what I've observed - just HS/college participation as an athlete). Even in this economy I've seen my district sponsor emergency and alternative teaching licenses so people with collegiate athletic experience can have jobs to go with their coaching positions. So if that applies to you in any way, you can definitely try networking with the athletic directors of the Oregon districts; if they want you, they'll definitely make it happen, Washington license or not.

20. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

Yes. And many jobs are filled by transfers until the first day of school if their contracts state it. The same is also true for classified jobs.

Like I've said repeatedly, teaching is a very poor field to try and break into. You spend thousands of dollars getting trained just so you can be a TEMP working for next to nothing in some hope some principal will "notice" you. If you have family connections, no problem. You get hired over far more qualified people.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

Always the voice of encouragement... **

22. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

Oh, please. Not this again. Blame the applicant and not a lousy job market or the filthy politics rampant in public education.

Those "top three slots," often top ten slots, are very often transfers from within the district. Tough to break into when some internal hire has the inside track.

23. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Aug 29, 2012

The northwest is notoriously bad for jobs, but to be honest, there are few areas in the country that are hiring. Those that are tend to be terrible school districts.

Many people on this board were hired many years ago, and their advice is not truly relevant to what is happening now.

Next thing you know, these same people will give you "advice" that you move clear across the country, thousands of miles, to secure a job in a district that mistreats its teachers terribly or has done away with teacher protections, like Florida. Most people cannot do this.

Oregon is notoriously bad to break into, by the way. I cannot even begin to apply for teaching or certificated work up here because I have to take their idiotic "subject matter" tests. That's because I didn't have three years in a single subject area in Nevada even though I have some six years professional teaching experience. Meanwhile, somebody with NO teaching experience at all, but who has passed the dumb tests, is more "qualified" than somebody like me. Insane.

On top of that, almost all of the school districts here demand you apply through EdZapp. It is impossible to even make the cut because the system will kick your application out if you don't have a current license.

You can thank NCLB for this. Out-of-state teachers have their work cut out for them and are more limited now than they were in the past in being able to cross state lines to teach.

24. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

Could this be why you haven't found a job?

25. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

I would say your best bet is an LTS. After landing around 30 interviews in a notoriously difficult state, I found that without the LTS I was going to be without a job. I think the best way to be considered is to get at least 1 LTS under your belt. In an area like Science, I would think once you have that your opportunities will expand.

26. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 29, 2012

There will be some amount of "politics" in any field you enter. Most people learn to work around or overcome this. Others choose to just complain about it and blame all their misfortunes on it.

Once again, hiring internally is standard practice in every field...which is only right. Once you become an employee of a company, you should get first shot at any openings that become available. It's one of the job benefits and one of the ways companies and districts reward the loyalty and service of their employees.

However, there isn't always an internal applicant qualified for the job. My new job is on a Native American Reservation - a district that has had a notorious reputation for NOT hiring any NON-Native American applicants in the past. But times are changing. I got my job, even though I don't have an ounce of Native American blood. Our district has a number of new hires and many of them were non-Native-American as well.

As I said before, patience, persistence and perseverance will pay off in the end.

I can't speak about the job market in the northwest, but I can vouch that almost every district in my area (western NC, north GA, east TN) were hiring this summer. If you don't like rural districts, you might consider them "terrible", but having checked on them myself, I would be happy to work in any one of them.[/quote]

And many are new hires who have been going through the job search like everyone esle - myself included.

As for the veterans, I have found their advice and suggestions to be very relevant, especially since several have also served on hiring committees themselves and can give members here tips based on this experience.

Of course, one has to actually be willing to consider the advice before it will be useful.....

Moving hundreds or thousands of miles is another common practice in this industry as well as others. It's true that most people cannot do it (for various reasons), but many can - and do - look for jobs in other parts of the country. As for jobs only being in districts that mistreats it's teachers, you seem to feel that is true for every district, so it's not surprising you would feel these are the only ones offering jobs.

Yes....districts ARE rather picky about wanting their teachers to actually KNOW the content they are being hired to teach. The fact that you have six years teaching experience is not nearly as important as which areas you have that experience in. If you have, for example, 6 years of experience teaching L.A. or Social Studies, that still wouldn't make you a good math or science teacher, just as a degree in math wouldn't make you a good L.A. or Social Studies teacher. Content knowledge does matter; hence all those "dumb tests" the districts give to see if the applicants have that knowledge.

Uhm.....yeah...if you don't have a license, I can understand why your application would be kicked out. Even if you were granted an interview, the district would not be allowed to hire you unless there none of the other applicants had a license in that content either.

Many states have reciprocity with their neighbors that will help teachers licensed on one state get a job in the other. For example, GA doesn't accept Praxis II scores on content knowledge because they have their own content exams. However, they do have a reciprocal agreement with NC and TN, so as long as I'm licensed in one of those, that license should also be honored in GA.

This isn't true in all states, of course, but it never hurts to check into the possibility.

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

I look at hundreds of resumes. They matter because yes, there are many teachers looking for work. We hired two teachers this year. One had 10 years of experience and the other had zero experience. We gave interviews based on our two district tests and their resume/cover letters. We have to make decions on who to interview based on something valid. My best advice is to email every P within your area whether they have openings or not with your resume and cover letter. Make sure both stand out! All the best! This has definitely a better year for hiring!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

OP, before you give this too much credence, please hit on the poster's name, then hit "see all posts by Tonysam."

In the final analysis, some people are getting jobs. http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=157446

They have more or less the same qualifications as you-- the same experience, the same degrees. Yet they're getting hired.

So it's something else. Maybe it's their timing, or their location, or the phrasing on their cover letters or resumes or their interview skills. Maybe it's the way they approach the job search. But something is working for others that isn't working for you.

So, to answer your question, no, the job postings are not lies.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

We had an open position for almost the entire year last year. It was only a half time position, teaching some French and some primary science and health, but it didn't draw qualified applicants. We were fortunate to be able to call back a retired teacher who took the position "until you hire someone". Lenore is back this year, because there are still no "takers". The position isn't "ideal" perhaps, but it is a contract position. The job exists; unfortunately, the interested candidates don't.

30. bet3

bet3 Companion

Aug 30, 2012

I have found that some "openings" are just posted to abide by state law. Several positions that I applied for this summer were taken by teachers who had been laid off at another school in the district. (I know this because I called schools as soon as I applied or asked someone I knew that worked at the school.) Honestly, I agree with this hiring practice; a district should look after their own. If my old district had done this, I would not be without a job right now. However, if districts are going to hire a laid off teacher, I don't think they should have to post the job. It only gets the hopes of other applicants up.

31. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

This is a bit different than filling the job with an internal transfer. If a teacher has been laid off, they are part so the public workforce and, if the job is being offered to one unemployed person in the public sector, it must be offered to ALL members of the public sector, because there may be a candidate whi is more qualified than the unemployed teacher.

Normally districts will post the job internally first then post it publicly if no current teachers apply for the job.

32. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 30, 2012

NY is very different than some other areas, there are many more school districts, each district covering communities, maybe a few towns. In TN, for instance, the districts are based on the counties with a few "special" or city school districts interspersed. In TN I am applying to the same number of schools, but the districts just cover a larger geographic region.

Are you at least working towards your Oregon certification? Can you add any other endorsements to your license to make you more of an attractive candidate? I know in my area, I've been told that my flexibility with multiple endorsements has gained me many interviews.

33. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

20+ years ago when I lived in Nebraska & was job hunting, I really felt that I lost out on jobs that I had interviewed for because I didn't know anyone in the district. I know I lost a couple of jobs because the job was given to so & so's daughter or wife. It happens. I was offered a lts position, but I had already made plans to move.

Fast forward 11 years & a move to Michigan. I don't know anyone in the state, but I still got a teaching job. Yes, my first teaching job was mid-year, last quarter. I've since moved on to different schools, never haven known anyone at the new school.

This year we have hired both experienced & new teachers.

Stop & think about what makes you special, what do you bring to the table. I have a hard time verbalizing this, so it is something that I think about any time I am job hunting. Look at your resume & cover letter, what needs to be tweaked.