Are districts required to interview external candidates?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, May 22, 2013.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 22, 2013

A position was posted in my district. Myself, along with a couple other internal candidates all applied and were told it would most likely be given to someone internal. However, interviews were just held for the position with external candidates only and no internal candidates were called to interview. Are districts required to interview external candidates even if they have someone in mind? Or does this mean none of us internal candidates are being considered,

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 22, 2013

There is no rule that I have ever heard about choosing which candidates to interview. Some jobs are filled per union contract. Some are just decided by the school admin.

4. redtop

redtop Companion

May 22, 2013

It varies a lot - some schools are required to give absolute priority to internal candidates. It's possible they just want to see the quality of what's out there.

There's a common thread on this forum, which I understand, which is to overthink the process. Unless it affects what other steps you will take, it's best to just do what you can and then take a chill pill. I'm not saying I haven't been in exactly the same position, trying to guess "Will they offer me the job or not?" But unless you can actually influence the outcome, or your further actions will be different based on whether you get the job or not - speculating does no good.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 22, 2013

Easier said than done! :hugs:

I think this is the first time I have agreed with something redtop has said! I live by the Serenity Prayer. It helps calm my nerves when, inevitably, I start to stress over something.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 22, 2013

They can pretty much choose to interview (or not interview) whom ever they want.

7. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 22, 2013

Agree with this. They have to post positions, but if they have an internal candidate in mind they don't have to interview anybody else.

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

May 28, 2013

Thanks. I'm honestly not over analyzing it all that much, but I just thought it was strange that nobody internal was interviewed! I knew that it was required to post the position, but wasn't sure if it was required to interview external candidates as well. However, they just called a couple candidates for interviews and I have one later this week. Hopefully I'll get the job! :)