are changing tables state mandated?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Love2shop, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 16, 2006

Just a question about changing tables?? I teach a preschool disabled class in a public school that is in NJ. I have a mix of disabilities (some are not potty trained) and I have NO chaining table. We use an extra mat and lay it on the floor in the bathroom. It gets the job done, but kills our knees. I just wanted to know if the state required I have one, no one at the school seems to know or cares to know.

Thanks

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Nov 17, 2006

That's really strange that they don't care to know. I know that there are very specific diaper changing requirements, but I'm not sure what kind of surface it has to be. Look on the DCFS website

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 17, 2006

perhaps if some of the kids are disabled getting them up on a changing table would be hard or dangerous??? But since I don't know laws like tha I don't know.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2006

Not mandated here, just a mat like you said that can be wiped and sanitized. Whenever I have a child over 2 in diapers, I change them standing up. Much more easier and less germs spread. Unless they have a poopy diaper, then I use a changing pad. I also hate lifting heavy kids onto a changing table. There's really no win-win situation unless you're dealing with babies. As far as in NJ, I don't know but I find it disturbing that your boss wouldn't know. Is this in a public school or state licensed facility. If it's in a public school then they have a different set of rules to follow.

6. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Nov 18, 2006

We have to have a changing table until all are potty trained.

7. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Nov 18, 2006

Joyride, thanks I will check out the DCFS site.

8. Myname

Myname Comrade

Nov 22, 2006

I would say a changing table that they can walk up on and they do make them would make it easier on your back. You think your knees hurt now if you changed to a table your back would be hurting.

We use a changing pad if needed and sanitize it after the change. currently I have no one who is not potty trained. At nap they put their own pull ups on and off.

9. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006

I teach 2's in a church affiliated pre-school. We have a rickety old changing table that is in the infant Sunday school room. We don't use it for our 2's pre-school. We use an extra nap mat and we wipe it down with Clorox wipes after use. I find it easier, actually, than lifting heavy 2 year olds onto a changing table.

10. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Nov 28, 2006

In PA we just had a mat for our 2 1/2 - 3 yr old class. Most of the time I changed diapers with the child standing up. We had no changing table for the kids over age 2.