Are brochures really good to have?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mardi08, Jul 12, 2009.

1. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Hi all,

I've been reading that some of you give out brochures. What should be in a brochure? Do schools like this?

Thanks so much!
    mardi

3. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I wish there was an area where we could have individuals provide examples of their brochures. I've seen a few and they were incredible, but I'm STILL having trouble putting one together!!!

I think they are necessary.

Can anyone please advise?

McKenna gave a great example of what she uses in another post, but I'd really like to hear if anyone else has any other ideas that aren't elementary related. I'm 7-12.

Thanks so much!!

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

my brochure is used for elem but i think could be easily adapted to middle/high school. here are my panels:

1. pic of me, pic of me teaching, name, certification, address, phone and email.

2. Teaching philosophy

3. parts of rec. letters and references listed

4. Instructional Strategies I frequently use along with examples

5. Career Develeopment (professional workshops attended)

6. this one is the back panel, quotes that relate to my teaching philosophy

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2009

Personally, I think this is an AWESOME idea. It has a lot of the components of a portfolio without it being overwhelming for the interviewer to look through. I would still have a portfolio just to show snapshots of my classroom. However, NOW, if I had to choose one or the other I would say brochure. It just makes good sense to me. Wish I had had one!:)

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

thats exactly how I tried to model mine! I thought of some of the things I would love the interviewer to know about me thats included in my portfolio because I know sometimes the portfolio just isnt used. I definetely plan to bring my portfolio as well for use during the questions but I am sooo happy with my brochure!

7. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I started sending a brochure out with my applications and resumes this spring and have received five interviews. I'm not sure if its related or not but last year I only had one interview all summer.

I think right now not a lot of people (that don't post here, lol) aren't using brochures so its something different and it shows a little of your technological abilities.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2009

A lot of interviewers are really impressed by the brochure and I think that it's a good idea to have one if you have the time to make it. It's also nice because you can leave one behind with everyone on the interview panel and since it's smaller than a whole packet of information there is a greater chance that they'll look through the whole thing.

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

I guess I'm in the minority in taking a more lukewarm stance towards the idea. I've been on interview committees at my school for the past couple of years, and while a brochure seems like a cute idea, I'm really more concerned about hearing what the candidate has to say in the interview. My school really needs teachers that can differentiate to a very diverse student population, so we want to hear them talk about what methods they use and why. It's important that they can articulate their methods and teaching philosophy, because they will be doing a lot of articulating in front of the class.

If you have all of your answers down pat, and have the time to do that, then by all means do that. However, if you have to choose between making sure you are rock solid on your answers to likely interview questions and making the brochure, get your answers straight.

(For those who do decide to make brochures, there are tons of easy-to-use templates that you can download from Microsoft.)

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

smurfette~I think that's what alot of interview committees are looking for and those of us that have chosen to do brochures I'm sure differentiate their instruction, use a variety of teaching methods/strategies, and have great philosophies. However, the brochure is just simply to make the candidate stand out among the other candidates.