Are authorizations valuable?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by John Lee, Feb 27, 2019.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Feb 27, 2019

I'm considering adding a computer science authorization to my multiple subject. I like my job, but I just want to make myself more robust and in demand (if/when times get tough). I've considered adding a Math authorization, but in that area, have been told that it is somewhat of a useless authorization and wouldn't offer the opportunity that I would like.

Computer Science authorizations seem to be a new thing... anyone know anything about this area of education?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 27, 2019

Whoever told you that adding a math authorization is useless is very misinformed, I think, as math is one of the highest-need subjects. And adding a Computer Science authorization is even MORE valuable as that subject is the most difficult to find someone to teach in. For example, an ex-colleague of mine who moved to SoCal has both a multiple-subject teaching credential and a math authorization and she now is gainfully employed and teaches high school math in an excellent district. She was able to find immediate employment and I’d wager the same could be said for you should you get authorizations in both subjects.

If you add both, you will have a LOT of options.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 27, 2019

Math is a high-needs area here. We have difficulty finding math people.

otterpop and futuremathsprof like this.
  5. a2z

a2z Maven

Feb 27, 2019

I say to get both. However, you can check with your district and possibly the state to see where computer science falls. In some areas it is a math course and in others a general elective.

John Lee likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 27, 2019

My husband has degrees in secondary math and computer science. That qualifies him to teach math or computer science in grades 6-12. He taught 8th grade math for over 20 years, and then he switched to computers as an elective.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 1, 2019

I had been told that if going for an authorization that go up to Middle school Math, you should simply get the full Single Subject because they would more likely take the candidate with the latter, all things being equal. Maybe I misunderstood that to mean that the authorization was a "limited" piece of hardware.

I'm now thinking the CS authorization may be my next goal. I want one, in case I get laid off as an Elementary teacher.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  8. futuremathsprof

Mar 1, 2019

Context is important. I, too, have heard from teachers and even district officials that a single-subject credential in Math is preferable to its counterpart. I also have heard through the grapevine that fully-credentialed math teachers (teachers who are certified to teach all levels of high-school math through AP Calc) are preferable over just foundationally-credentialed math teachers (teachers who are only certified to teach Algebra, Geometry, Statistics, plus else).

From the CTC website:

“For the Single Subject Teaching Credential in Foundational-Level Mathematics, you must pass Subtests I and II[​IMG]. This credential authorizes teaching only in limited mathematics content areas: general mathematics, algebra, geometry, probability and statistics, and consumer mathematics.”

https://www.ctcexams.nesinc.com/TestView.aspx?f=HTML_FRAG/CA_CSET212_TestPage.html

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  9. futuremathsprof

Mar 1, 2019

I’m currently being asked (read: hounded) by my admin to teach AP Computer Science A and/or AP Computer Science Principles next year as I am the only viable replacement currently. I am still weighing the pros and cons as I already teach AP Stats, AP Calc BC, and Calc 3; though, I’m absolutely unwilling to give up my AP Calc BC and Calc 3 classes. And if I were to part with AP Stats, then I’d have big class sizes as they would have to cram more students in fewer periods since they wouldn’t have a full-time teacher with a freer schedule.

(NOTE: Even though we are a private school, we operate within state guidelines and so teachers are not allowed to teach more than 40% of their classes in a non-credentialed subject. And seeing as I only have a full single-subject teaching credential in math, I wouldn’t be permitted to teach more than a certain number of CS periods (2). Hence, the larger class sizes and so I am looking at having 35ish students or more in each class. Ugh.)

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    John Lee likes this.
  10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2019

If you are looking to work in a middle or elementary school I think the math endorsement will be fine. All of my experience is in elementary/middle school and none of the schools I have worked in have had a computer science teacher.

John Lee likes this.