Are Art teachers in demand for k-12? Please view!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutieturtle07, Jun 19, 2010.

1. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Jun 19, 2010

Hi. I am currently a student at a four year University and my current major is a BFA in Computer Animation. I love computer arts. I have two more years left and I have been thinking about changing my major to studio arts with an education minor so that I can teach. I want to teach just as much as I want a career in computer animation, but computer animation is hard to break into for starters, you do not need a degree for that field (just a demo reel and portfolio), and I'm worried about job security. When I first transferred to this school my major was English because I wanted to teach at a secondary level. Then I realized that they had computer animation as a major which was my major for about 5 years but changed it because I could not afford to go to an art school and it is rare at public universities. So I basically want to know if art teachers are in demand. Because if they are not in demand, then I will not change my major if my job outlook is the same. I also plan on getting my masters strait away in Art History because my dream job is to teach at a community college. Thank you for your responses!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 19, 2010

No. There's usually only one art teacher per school....and sometimes that teacher is shared by 2 or 3 schools. I think if you don't want to teach it as a career, the certification and extra classes are not worth the time and money. All kinds of teachers are being laid off across the country.

Just being honest.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2010

I agree about teaching. My daughter is an Animation and Illustration major, and we think her career prospects are good. When we went to see Iron Man 2, we tried to count the number of digital artists listed in the credits and couldn't. There were at least 200. You may not have a traditional job in a company, but if you're good, odds are that you'll work.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 19, 2010

Sorry to say, I don't think so.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 19, 2010

There are rarely art jobs available around this area. Once people get those positions, they tend to stay in them for a long time. Also, like someone else said, it's not unusual for 2 or 3 schools to share an art teacher for budget reasons.

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 19, 2010

We have three art teachers in our district. Our elementary art teacher has been with the corp for 43 years, our jr high art teacher has 32 yrs and your high school art teacher 26 yrs. So I agreed with bandnerdtx - not a lot of openings because art teachers stay a long time

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 19, 2010

Now you could teach in a regular elementary class here with the teaching certificate and any degree. If you were teaching particularly in early childhood-you could incorporate some of that art knowledge into your curriculum.

We don't even have an art teacher and I think many schools unfortunately are cutting those ancillary-type positions first because they don't feel they are necessary. You would probably have a better chance going the other route.

There are a lot of summer programs that teach kids about art-you could volunteer for something like that and still be teaching kids if it's truly your passion.

9. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Jun 19, 2010

Don't be disheartened by these nay sayers. say two words to yourself VOC School. Many many many school systems have a vocational school as an element of high school education, someone like you would be a highly valuable addition since most computer and graphic artist find the dismal pay scale laughable when set next to what animators form Pixar make or any other comp. artist these days. However if teaching is in your heart (and it has to be or you won't make it) than teaching Comp art at a VOC school is perfect for you. Good luck!!

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 19, 2010

Is it possible that you may be able to get a second concentration to teach as well? I think there are less art positions compared to science or math.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2010

My school has 2,550 kids.

The math department has 21 teachers.

The art department has 2.

Need I say more?

If you love computer animation, the job market probably can't be worse than it is in art education.

12. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

Didn't I just say I want to teach as a career?

13. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

I think the point is: Is your passion teaching? If you want an easy career to get into, art education is not going to be it. However, if this is what you really want to do, then it might be worth it to try. I have a friend who teaches art, it took her 4 years to find an art education job. Schools tend to cut art teachers, before core subject teachers. It will be very difficult to find an art teaching job. The schools in my area are not hiring art teachers, when the old art teacher retires.

14. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

When I graduated with an Art Ed degree (way-y-y back), there were no jobs then either. I fell into Early Childhood and LOVED it. When I became a mother I taught art classes at the park district, led Scout troops through many crafts, and was a volunteer Art Appreciation mom at our elementary school. I am still teaching preschool and an afterschool art program. There are many places to teach art if that is your passion. Good luck with your decision.

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

Music, art, PE, library are often the first to go in schools. At the elementary level they can cut those and let the homeroom teachers teach them. In my last school of 4,000 students there were 6 music teachers and 6 art teachers. It took me 5 years to get into a public school. I would suggest getting a dual degree so you are more marketable for anyone looking to teach the above subjects. :2cents: Good luck! :hugs:

16. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 29, 2010

I hate to be discouraging but I can honestly tell you that in my prior school, there were 1900 students and 1 art teachers (and the art teacher was let go at the end of the year. I don't know if they replaced her) and in my current school, there are 2200 students and 3 art teachers.

17. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 29, 2010

We had about 18 art positions listed this year for our district. I teach in an urban district. There are many jobs. You just have to look.

18. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

I've been with my district of 20,000 students for 5 years. We've never had a art opening. Last year they even cut some art/music/gym positions and made them re-enter the regular classroom if they were certified.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2010

Wow. That must be an ENORMOUS district...how many schools are there in your district?

We have about 1200 students, 2 art teachers. I've been there 10 years with no art teacher turnover.

Many districts have only 1 or two art teachers. A career can last 20-25 years...not a lot of openings for the most part.

20. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Well from what it sounds like, It's likely that I will have lots of trouble finding a job after I graduate if I continue in art education. I talked to my mother about going back to becoming an English major and securing a job and then getting certified to teach art after which sounds like the best idea. I have no problem going back to English major. So my last question is if I do change my major back to English, do my chances of landing a job strait out of school rise a lot than if I were to continue with an art ed degree or just a little? Thank you everyone for your answers.

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

They would rise a lot, but it would still be difficult. There's still a backlog of people qualified to teach English that are unemployed.

However, MANY more jobs than in Art. If you want to go for it, go for it, though.

22. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

=/ geez. Well I suppose I'll talk to my school adviser instead. I may even do art education first and then English second.

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 30, 2010

We have 266 schools. We are a very large district.

24. cutieturtle07

cutieturtle07 Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

Well, I went to career counseling at my school. She helped me make a decision because I kept going back and forth between Art and English education. I ultimately decided to go ahead and finish with my English Education degree and do art second. I'm so glad that I finally made a decision. Thank you everyone for your help and input.

I am still very passionate about computer animation as well. If anything I will just get a certificate in animation instead of a degree since it's not required.