Are aides considered teachers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2013

Why are you asking this? You know what was meant by the posts. Treat her with respect and stop making fun of her with your students! Sheeeesh!

2. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Feb 1, 2013

You are not allowed to leave her alone with the students at all? That seems odd. I am a para and am alone with the kids occasionally if the teacher is running errands or dealing with a student outside the classroom. Paras/EAs in my school are often pulled to substitute if we are short of subs as well.

In more general terms, you really need to get on the same page as your para. Your kids should also be clear on the fact that it is unacceptable for them to ask a second adult after they've been told no by the first, and that if an adult gives them a direction, they need to follow it and not attempt to pit adults against one another. This message can be conveyed respectfully with a simple "I am telling you to do this, please do it."

I have never felt anything but respected as an EA. The kids do understand who is their teacher and who is their EA, but they are taught to respect all adults equally. I have had kids refer to me both as "my EA" and "my teacher." I am fine with both. I am not THE teacher, but I do teach them. ;)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2013

(In some jurisdictions, the law mandates that a licensed teacher must be in the classroom at all times. I agree that it seems slightly odd, though rules like that tend to be imposed in the wake of some newsworthy impropriety.)

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

Wow. I sometimes leave my aides alone with my kiddos just because of errands, meetings, etc. We take more of a tag team approach. Sometimes a student gets tired of working with the same person so the other one will step in and help the student. I don't know of a law in my state that says there must be a licensed teacher in there or not but one of my aides is a licensed teacher so I don't even think about it.

This happens in my school as well.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

I have a TA and I love her! She is so helpful and flexible. She is also very artistic so she helps add character to the classroom with the BBs, etc. She works with small groups, and whatever is needed of her. I would never, ever undermine her authority with the students. I respect her and the students respect her. I also prefer to think of us as a team instead of just my TA. She is a huge part of my class.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 2, 2013

I was an embedded Title I teacher in a class my first year of teaching. The content teacher never let me forget that she was the lead and I was, in essence, her aide. The concept of team teaching was lost with her, and I was incredibly happy when I was moved to a classroom where I was the lead. My embedded teacher there is only listed second because it's alphabetical.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2013

Unfortunately, some times there are licensed teachers who shouldn't be left alone with students...:whistle:

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 2, 2013

You're killing me:rolleyes:

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 2, 2013

OMG! I would kill for an aide! We have several at our school - each pre-k class has one, the ecse (early childhood special ed) classes each have one, the self-contained sped (ed) class has one, and we have two "general" aides (who have ended up helping almost exclusively with 3rd-5th grades this year). My inclusion kids aren't even getting the time they are supposed to with a sped inclusion teacher or aide because they keep getting pulled for meetings, etc. In the past, when aides were anywhere near my kids (usually pulling for interventions in reading), I address them in the same way I address co-workers (Mrs/Ms/Mr and last name), and always speak with them in a respectful manner, and I expect my students to do the same!

I have been a server in mid to high $$ restaurants, and it is expected that the server "tip out" the bus boy, bartender, and even the hostess. Those servers who do so get much better service and better seating arrangements/parties than those who don't. I say all that because teaching is no different. I always make sure to be respectful to those in "support" positions, because I am lost without them! (I also include them in my Christmas present list :) )

10. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 2, 2013

In MY classroom, yes! But, I have an awesome aide. She has the perfect balance, and it comes so natural to her. She knows when to step back and let me handle things, and then she sees when I am too busy/overwhelmed to handle something at that moment, and steps in to do it for me. The kids LOVE her, and so do I.

It hasn't always been this way for me. I had an aide in the past who literally wouldn't pick items off of the floor for the kids (who were all in wheelchairs) because she said that was not her job. Understand that I would also pick them up....I didn't just make her do it. So, I have had both extremes.

11. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 2, 2013

AMEN! Couldn't have said it better myself!

12. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 3, 2013

Anybody who comes into my room to help it will be respected and valued as a teacher.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 3, 2013

In the kids' eyes, ANY adult in the room that teaches/works with them is considered a teacher. Kids don't know about credentials & degrees & who has the more advanced ones. Hopefully, no matter how many adults are in the room, they have the understanding that any & all kids will treat any & all adults with the same respect and listen to them all. All adults should make sure they're consistent & have the same rules & procedures, so there's none of this, "Well, Ms. X said this, but Mrs. Y said that, etc.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 3, 2013

Great post, Ms. I! I agree :thumb:

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 3, 2013

Any time we have a conversation about following rules & procedures or respect I always mention the TA's, lunch staff, substitutes etc.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 3, 2013

If you teach your students to disrespect the support staff in your classroom and school, you're creating more discipline issues that you'll need to handle in the long run.