Are 5th graders too old for incentive charts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

Hi All,

I'm talking like the blank incentive posters that have a grid-like pattern. I was thinking about using them to show ARP points or maybe turning in homework for X amount of days. I think maybe having them put a sticker might be too juvenille, so I was thinking a really cool pen???

Thanks!

Beth

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2012

I use them; my 5th graders would kill for stickers for their chart! Not that they'd earn a sticker for killing... except maybe a spider...

They get stickers for using polite language, helping other students, saying something nice, coming up with a great response during a classroom discussion, making me laugh, really anything I want to notice/reward them for.

But the best way I use them is during review. Any time I say, "We're going to review for stickers," hands are up before I ask the questions! Reviews are much more lively as they frantically search their textbooks for answers before their friends!

When their charts are full, they earn a trip to the prize box.

I do have rules:
    1. You can't share stickers
    2. You can't pick up stickers off the floor and add them to your chart.
    3. If your chart is found on the floor after school, or if its found on the floor with no name on it, it will go in the trash; you will have to start over. Guard it carefully!

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 20, 2012

I didn't have a rewards chart but I do know my 5th graders love stickers and would have been totally into a rewards chart if I had chosen to have one.

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 20, 2012

Bella, my 6th graders love stickers. I also have a treasure chest on my desk. I have bookmarks, colorful pencils, pencils with the multiplication tables, glow sticks, Mardi Gras beads, and some plastic rings I got off of a birthday cake. Their favorites were the plastic rings:)

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 20, 2012

In my experience, yes! The past couple of years I've been k-5 since I've been doing sped. I set up goal charts with stickers for the younger kids, but assumed my 5th graders would think they were too babyish and planned to do some sort of "older looking" graph with them instead. When they saw the charts made for the younger kids, their immediate reaction was, "Where are my stickers?!" Out of all of my students they were probably the ones that got into the sticker charts the most!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 20, 2012

I taught 6th grade last year and I totally used incentive charts with stickers!!! The kids LOVED it and they were always staring at the charts to see how many more stickers they needed to earn a reward.

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2012

I know a high school teacher who successfully uses them!

9. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Jun 20, 2012

No way! I teach a class to college freshman and they still love stickers. No one is ever too old for stickers :)

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 20, 2012

I've used incentive charts and stickers with 5th graders. They loved getting the stickers!

11. eddygirl

eddygirl Companion

Jun 20, 2012

I teach high school guys and they LOVE stickers! I've watched them pull stickers off their papers and put them on their folders. Yup...never too old for stickers!

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2012

Never too old for sticker charts! One of our high school teachers used them and we loved it. My high school kids like it too. I'd obviously pick a more mature looking chart, but go for it.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2012

My sixth graders love incentive charts with stickers as well. Give it a try with your students.

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 21, 2012

Thanks guys! I'm off to Mardels tomorrow to get some things. I decided against a theme - I'm just doing bright colors. I decided to paint the obnoxiously blue wall with the butt ugly wallpaper border. I've decided to repaint the entire room. One wall is going to be a muted purple/lavender color and the other walls will be a light yellow. :)

Beth

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 21, 2012

Never too old for stickers....

16. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 21, 2012

Agreed! I keep a sticker chart handy for my juniors when we do their big research project, and they LOVE it!

17. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 21, 2012

I've used stickers and charts like this with 5th graders. They still love it. Go for it!!!!!

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 22, 2012

I teach 5th grade and find that incentives or incentive charts work well as part of the classroom management plan. Just make the incentives ones that they like, and it can work very well.

19. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2012

Can you explain HOW you use them? Are these poster charts or the little individual ones? What do they get stickers for? How do they get the stickers? I don't use this system and would love to know how to use it for my sixth graders. Sounds fun and rewarding.

20. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 25, 2012

Well...I would love to tell you, but I have no idea! :p I've never actually used them, and TBH I don't know how I plan on it. Haven't gotten that far yet, lol.

Beth

21. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jun 27, 2012

What do you do with the stickers? I used to give prizes for the most received at the end of each quarter.

22. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Not to change the subject, but have you gotten an approval for this? Classroom painting by teachers is strictly not allowed in my district. I would be in very serious trouble if I painted my classroom.

23. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jun 27, 2012

It is allowed in my district.

24. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

I teach 5th grade, and my students love stickers. I use it for math facts and spelling. They also LOVE smelly stickers. I use these stickers on test papers with an A. Most of the student peel the stickers off and keep them.

If you are looking for behavior things...I just found a great website...Classroom Dojo. I have looked at it, and it seems to be a virtual "sticker" chart. The students earn points. The teacher can set up what they receive points for to suit their classrooms. The best thing is that it is free. I think it would work better for classrooms with interactive whiteboards or projectors though. Just another thought.

25. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jun 29, 2012

But what do you all do with the stickers? Does the child with the most stickers get a prize, etc. . ????????

26. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I don't do anything with the stickers on math facts and spelling. I use it mainly to track their progress. I use to have spelling cards that I would stamp along with their stickers. They then earned classroom money.