Are 4th Graders too old for cubbies?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by mrsburf, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

I went into my classroom and there is NOTHING in there. My CT had cubbies which she inherited from my old 2nd grade teacher, so they are at least 20 years old. I want to buy some similar, cardboard. But I cannot find any. Should I get that or an organization pocket chart/thing?

3. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 9, 2010

The 4th graders at our elementary school have cubbies. I personally don't like them because they make your room look cluttered. I bought a very cheap locker from a secondhand store in my town, spraypainted it, and allowed my students to place their belongings and papers in the locker. Then, your room doesn't look cluttered because the locker doors stay closed......but to answer your question, I think cubbies are fine for fourth graders.

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 9, 2010

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 9, 2010

When my room was remodeled last year I specifically asked for built-in cubbies. What I got was floor to ceiling cubbie spaces -- the bottom two rows are for the kids and the top two levels are for me. The kid spaces are big enough for their backpacks and have hooks for jackets, etc., on the front. I love them and my class last year was thrilled they were the first to use them.

6. combo teacher

combo teacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

In my experience, cubbies have been fine for my 4th graders. My co-teacher uses the plastic bins on wheels for our students. We had parents donate them.

7. MsSci4

MsSci4 Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

Cubbies are fine. The only thing I had a problem with was having 20 kids getting stuff from one place at once. I learned to have them get what they need for the morning, as they arrive. Then they put it away in stages during cleanup. You would definitely need to teach how to wait for an opening so they don't pile up and get dramatic. =)

8. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 10, 2010

We have cubbies...but I can only use them for backpacks and jackets. I can't stand having them get up to get everything they need throughout the day...so I made chair pockets. Best thing I ever did! They're not super big, but big enough to hold their notebooks and folders that they need everyday, so they don't have to get up all the time.

9. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

My students also have cubbies. They keep their books, notebooks, etc. in there. As they enter in the mornings, I have on the board what they need to get. They are not allowed to go back until lunch time. I also put on the board what they need to have for after lunch at their desk. It helps keep their desks less cluttered and they don't have to have books/notebooks that we're not using at their desks all day.
    Our are built in though.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

My cubbies are for storage of backpacks, lunches, and jackets only. The students are taught that when they enter the room they are to quickly put their lunch away, then take their backpack to their desk to unpack. Everything they need for the day goes in their desks. After unpacking they can take their backpack and jacket back to the cubbie. This takes about 2-3 minutes, but it reduces the traffic jam that occurs when they all want to unpack right in front of the cubbies. My students are not allowed to go back to their backpacks during the day for materials without a penalty.

11. mrsburf

mrsburf Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

What makes good cubbies when you're broke? And you have 30 students?

12. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

We have cubbies in our school for all kids, including high school. We have the kids visit cubbies in groups instead of the whole class at once.

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 10, 2010

I rely on having cubbies. For the most part, kids keep it neat but there's always one or two that have a hard time keeping it clean. It's reality - things can't always be perfectly place in a classroom when teaching & learning is top priority.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2010

My students are going to keep their binders (reading, science, and math) and writing composition books in cubbies this year. Luckily, my room has floor-to-ceiling built-in cubbies. They're pretty nice.