AR

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by cubfan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cubfan

cubfan Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

To those of you who use Accelerated Reader:
    Do your kids earn a certain amount of points to get a reward. Just curious on how many students need to earn in one year. Our 5th grade has to earn 80 points in a year to get the year end reward. Is this alot?

3. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jan 21, 2009

I personally don't think it is a lot, but it depends on the individual students. AR is totally against rewarding students for getting X number of points. They are quite adamant about making the program work for each individual child, which means having students read the amount of points and level of books that is right for them. My fifth graders right now have goals that range from 7 points to 35 points for the trimester. I got my point goals straight out of the chart we received from our AR training. So far we are halfway through the trimester and I have one student with 2 points and one with 190 points. Our principal wanted us to use the program as we were trained, and it doesn't sound like your school is doing that. I would feel more comfortable rewarding the students who reach their points goal or get 90% or more of their points goal... Just my :2cents:

4. cubfan

cubfan Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

I totally agree with you....ALL fifth graders have to earn the same amount of points. Yet we are told to use guided reading (reading groups) because all children do not read at the same level. If we do that than shouldn't we do it for AR. My own son does not read for pleasure anymore he reads only for AR points. Frustrating!

Thanks for your input!

5. cubfan

cubfan Rookie

Jan 21, 2009

Is there a place where I could get some literature from Accelerated Reader that tells that they are against rewarding the kids?

6. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jan 22, 2009

I'll check my resources at school tomorrow. I should be clear, they aren't against rewarding the kids for doing well at reading, they just aren't encouraging the schools to reward per point or for all students reaching a random number of points. They suggested that if we wanted to use a reward program with AR that we base the rewards on them meeting their goals ( or 90%+ of their goal).

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 22, 2009

In the resources section of the AR program there is a chart for helping you set goals for your students. They base them on their reading level and the amount of free reading time they get. My goals are set much lower than I'd like them to be, but we also have very little free reading time for them. There's just not a lot of time in the day.