AR

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by mjennings, Jan 21, 2009.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jan 21, 2009

hi all...

our principal wants us to start having the kids take AR test. How do you handle and deal with AR. How do have your kids pick out books and take the tests. I only have 1 computer in my room and we can co to computer lab once a week.

How do you encourage your kids to do/read the books?

3. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jan 21, 2009

My kids have to take an AR test everyweek. I tell the students they must read it atleast three times and an adult has to ask them questions about the book. I always let my students know how difficult the first AR test is. AR asks really weird questions. The kids have to get used to the questions they will be asked. Anyway if the students get a 100% they move up a level in their AR book. If they don't they stay on that level until they get a 100%. If they don't pass two AR tests in a row I drop them down a level. Do you have STAR with your AR program? We have both programs. So their first AR level I got from the STAR program.

4. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jan 21, 2009

yeah I have STAR. But how do u go about letting the kids choose a book. Do you have AR books in your room. Or do the kids choose a book during their library time. When do the kids take their tests? Do they sign up for it?

5. old n new

old n new Rookie

Jan 22, 2009

I have a AR sign up spot on the white board. They put their name at the top and after they take their test they erase their name. Then the next child with their name at the top of the list takes a test. You really have to train them or they try to cut into "line".

6. cmgeorge626

cmgeorge626 Companion

Jan 22, 2009

At the beginning of the year, I set everyone's goal for 5 points. As we near the end of the 6 weeks, I adjust their goal to ensure that they meet it (the first time's a freebie ;)). I use this as a starting point to increase their goals through the year. I have a chart outside the room with each child's name on a fish. As they get closer to their goal, they can move their fish up to show 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% of their goal. If they meet their goal for the six weeks, they may bring a dollar to buy a drink and snack to enjoy during class (if they don't bring a dollar they may choose one thing). They also get to spend their points on items in the AR Store.

Each week the kids take tests on the following:
    library book (within their ability level)
    chapter book that I read during storytime
    leveled reader that they take home
    story from basal reader

We take tests before school, during center time, during recess, and I have an aide that comes in twice a week for 30 mins. I require them to read the questions and answer choices on their own for leveled readers and basal stories. AR also offers many titles that will read the questions and answers to them! :D Good luck!

7. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jan 24, 2009

My kids choose their books during library time. I monitor if they are reading on their level closely. My kids take their tests in the morning before school, or during morning work. It does take time to get them started. Some of my students have learned how to get themselved started. It takes them forever to type in the title though.

One year I was having a problem getting the students to read their books. So I started a toy store. I stocked up on some cheap toys from Oriental Trading. For every 100% they got three pennies, 90% got two, 80% got one. Each toy would have a certain price like 10 cents. The bigger the prize the more it would cost. They could buy something every Friday from the toy store.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 24, 2009

Well in my area the principal usually gives plenty of things to encourage them to read and make an A. For example, One school had an AR party they got cake and cokes and got to invite their parents. They were just starting AR in my area when I was in 4th grade. I sub in the same school system I went to school in. I remember if we had a certain level we got to go to a movie and our P rented out the local theater. I think reading is either you like or you don't. I hate to say this, but I loved reading when I was little but I do not like it now.

9. horns#1

horns#1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2009

I have a few students that can read at a third grade level. So, they read a book and take the test by themselves. I taught them how to log on the computer and take the test. If they don't make 100, then they have to read to me first.

My other students read to me and then I help them take the test. I also have some of my high students help me with this. They love it!