AR Program/STAR Reading and Math

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 8, 2011

Hello!

Our school will be adopting/upgrading to the new AR Reading program. It isn't much different from the one we have now. It just has a test on almost every book known and is online (I think). It is also focus more on setting goals for students to reach instead of points.

We also will be using the STAR Reading and STAR Math program. I know that this will be used for RTI and documenting progress.

One of my co-workers went to a workshop/conference on these programs and said that we would need to have at least 30 minutes each day focused on independent reading/meeting with teacher/taking test to check comprehension.

In years past, we rewarded students based on points earned. Our grade level tracked their points and gave certain rewards when they reached 2 pts, 5 pts, 7pts, etc.

Does anyone here use the newer version of the AR program? How do you organize it? What do you do during independent reading time?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2011

When I used AR, we had prizes for reaching a certain percent of their goal because every student had a different goal.

4. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Go to renlearn.com. They have many tools to help you including a goal setting chart. They do not have to test and meet with teacher every day. A student, especially in second grade, cannot read a chapter book in 1 day. They do need a minimum of 30 minutes a day of reading practice. The practice can include reading from text books as well as AR books. You need to find out what your school is going to do as a group and then check out the website and the tools that are offered.