AR goals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DaTeach, Oct 25, 2008.

1. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

We are required to use AR in the classroom. I cannot get my kids to read. They can choose between picture books or chapter books, and they have from Friday to Friday to meet their goal. I require them to read 3 picture books or one chapter book in their level each week. Some will NOT even read one picture book! I teach 4th grade and the average reading level is WAY below 4th. I offer incentives, and we are doing BookIt too. What to you do to get children to read? What do you do if they don't read at all? I think that we have been shoving AR at them for so long that they just hate reading. I don't know what to do! I read to them sometimes, but they need to read on their own.

3. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

we do AR at my school. We made AR folders (pm me for the insides if you'd like them). They are 2 pocket folders with the following, an AR flowchart (so they know what the steps are in the process), a reading log, Goal bar graph, monthly calendar for the rest of the year.

1st-Do you have a designated AR time. We do 30 minutes of "Just Right Reading" a day. During that time the expectations are strict-everyone is reading or conferencing with me. I scheduled our time for after recess, we put our books and AR folders on our desk before lunch so that everything is ready when we get back in. The student logs in to their AR folder each time they read (even if they finish early during class work-but if they finished early and logged into On the Banks of Plum Creek and didn't finish they don't have to re log into it during AR time.

Conferencing is important too-this is how you will hold them accountable for their reading and monitor their process. I have an AR management board in my room, the sections are Independent Reading, Waiting to Conference, Taking a Test. When a student has finished a book (chapter books read once, picture books 2x) they move thier piece to Waiting to Conference. I pull 8 tokens a day to conference (more if I can get to them-but I'm usually good for 8).

I use questions from the major points interview, mosaic of thought, and what ever the skill from our basal was that week. Sometimes we just talk about the book. The conference is about 5-7 minutes long most times. But we're one on one at this time. I bought a cheap lamp at Walmart ($4) and I've trained my class to know that when the light is on I'm not to be disturbed unless there is blood or bone!

If I feel good about them having read the book then they can go for an AR Test. They return the TOPS report to a basket when they are done and we re-conference on the report. I highlight the book title, book level and how many they got correct. We require 85% accuracy. The we move to their goal graph. We talk about where in their goal they are (I color the star or circle it on their TOPS report) and they color in the graph. I do the graph for the bottom axis to be a week at a time.

Probably the best thing we have done and it's new this year is having a seperate checkout that the teacher monitors. This way I can help them with book choice and really help them to get books in their zone.

Do you use STAR testing to get a ZPD? My class checks out 3 books-all AR. One book is for home, 2 are for school. When the finish an AR book and test they move on to the next book. They are not allowed to re-check in any book unless they have finished it.

As far as finishing so many books in a week. We work towards quarter goals but that's what I have the calendar pages for in the back of thier AR folders. For example, I have a student that is reading one of the Unfortunate events books. The book is at the higher end of her zone so I know that it will take some time. We use the calendar pages to set small goals (ex. she is to be at Chapter 9 by Nov. 5-this way she can see if she needs to take the book home to do at home reading on it). And it comes back to accountability.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 25, 2008

I am facing the same issue with the class I have this year. The average reading level in my 4th grade class is 3.2. I do have two students reading at a 5th grade level and 1 at 4th. It's depressing. I know that the teachers in the lower grades have fought this same battle with this class. I am sending home "grades". I can't officially put them in my gradebook, but I print a diagnostic report each week for each child. I put a grade on it for their percent correct and their percent of goal reached. Seeing all those F's has made a few of them pick up the pace. We are having a pizza party for those who reach their goal, but that hasn't been enough for most. Out of 78 4th graders we have 14 who have qualified (6 weeks ends next week).

5. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I was requiring chapter books, but so many can't accomplish this. Then I changed it to choice of three picture books or a chapter book. Then all of the ones who were successfully reading chapter books switched to picture books! UGH! I had a student that logged in that she read a chapter book, and made a 10% on the test! They lie, lie, lie about reading their book. I'm liking the conferencing idea. I think I will try that. Maybe some of these students who are failing tests will do better. I've started printing the tops reports and placing them in the weekly test folder that is sent home with the score highlighted. We'll see if that helps. Why don't parents get concerned when they see that their child is reading on a 2nd or 3rd grade level, when they're in the 4th grade? I would be so concerned if it was my child!

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 25, 2008

DaTeach I did have one parent contact me about her child's ZPD range and reading level being so low. Then she went on to tell me that I needed to talk to his teacher last year because she felt I had set both way too low. I explained that the level was set by the computer after he tested. I had nothing to do with the setting of it. She asked me to re-test him. She thinks he was "worried" that day. I retested him Friday and he scored .2 lower on grade level. I'm waiting for a response on that one.

7. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Oct 25, 2008

I stamp the TOPS reports with parent signature-that way I know some of my parents are looking at them.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 25, 2008

I do D.E.A.R. time (Drop Everything and Read) for about 30 minutes daily, while they're reading I respond to 4-5 Reading Response journals.

We also have grade level (13 second grade classes) assemblies every Friday to give dog tags to kids who make the 10 pt., 25 pt., 50 pt. etc. clubs. Our principal is wonderful. He also ordered a plastic cup that turns colors when warm/cold liquid is poured in it for the 10 pt. club members. Then, it perpetuates itself. At the beginning of the year I tell my kids that should earn 1 point a week and when everyone makes it to the 10 pt. club we have a popcorn/coke party. In my class we also do a pajama party where they can bring their fuzzy wuzzies, blankies, and whatever when they earn 1000 points which is generally twice a year. Out of all 13 classes most do a pretty good job, not everyone makes the 10 pt. club either but there's kids walking up and down the halls reading books that wouldn't ordinarily be that involved.