AR book suggestions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by #1StepMom, Nov 14, 2006.

1. #1StepMom

#1StepMom Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

I'm teaching 3rd grade and we use the Accelerated Reader program here. If anyone is familiar with this program, I am looking for chapter book recommendations anywhere from a 3.5 - 4.9 level to read-aloud to my students. They love Junie B. Jones but I want to read them something on a slightly higher level. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

3. 3rdgrdteach

3rdgrdteach Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

From what I have seen, AR levels and, of course, books can vary depending on the school you are in; however, I have listed below the AR read alouds I have used in the past with third graders:

Poppy
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Encyclopedia Brown
    The Series of Misfortunate Events
    The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 15, 2006

Have you checked the levels for Horrible Harry, Charlottes web, and the Fudge series? Ours love them!

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 15, 2006

If you get or any teachers at your school get the Scholastic book fliers look in the main teachers material, the cover all the student fliers are in. That lists all the books and AR levels.

6. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Nov 15, 2006

Read Aloud AR Books

I teach 4th grade my students love:
    Because of Winn Dixie
    Shiloh
    How to Be A Perfect Person in Just Three Days

Hope this helps:)

7. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Nov 15, 2006

A to Z Mysteries series, Time Warp Trio, Sarah Plain and Tall, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Beverly Cleary books

8. KatieS

KatieS Rookie

Nov 16, 2006

I would recommend books well above a third grade level for read aloud so that they can be exposed to the vocabulary. I also teach third grade and we've read the following for read aloud this year: Little House in the Big Woods, Shiloh (we all LOVED this book!), and Oliver Twist. We're in the middle of the The Best Christmas Pageant Ever because we're going to a theatre performance of it in a few weeks. We'll read The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe next.

9. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

Nov 16, 2006

My kids love the Magic Tree House and The Magic School Bus chapter books.

10. kmm898s

kmm898s Rookie

Nov 16, 2006

You can get on the AR program and go to the screen that lists all the tests you have. Instead of clicking the the word "title" to search for your books, click on the "point level" and it will order all the books/tests by level from lowest to highest. Then you are able to see all the books for the level you want and can choose from there. I would suggest any of the Mark Twain award nominees for this year. If you are not familiar with these, there are sites on the Net. They are ALWAYS excellent reads!!