AR and classroom library questions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 3, 2011.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 3, 2011

I am leveling all of my kids books by AR level, since that is what my school goes by, and have some questions.

1. If I am teaching first grade, should I only set out books with levels of 0-1 or 1.5? or if I am teaching 3rd, 0-3/4?

2. Should I include PD Eastman books in with my Dr. Seuss books (as a collection)?

I've leveled about 200 books so far, and my head is spinning!

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

We just finished doing that in my grade level. We are just putting everything out. We labeled the books the same as the media center but with bigger labels so that we can tell the difference. Once we figure out what level they are reading on, from the Star Reading program, we will put the sticker that matches their reading level on their library card so they know which books to choose. Students will also be able to get any books lower than that level also.

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

In my school, for first grade we start them out on Blue level (0-1.5) and then as we do the individual reading groups to determine their level, the teacher moves them up accordingly. I actually have all 5 levels (Blue, Red, Yellow, Orange, Green) set up in my room but they are only allowed to pick from the Blue basket until I get reading levels determined.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

I teach 4th, but my library has books from 1st to 8th grade levels. I keep my 1st and 2nd grade books in a tub by the library (I have ELA sped and they need these). I have a fair amount of 3rd, a ton of 4th, a fair amount of 5th, and just a smattering of the rest.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

In 2nd, I usually have a range from my SPED kids that need kinder level books, to kids reading 4th and sometimes 5th grade level books.

We color code school-wide, so for example, all the 2.somethings have a green sticker on them.

I have a lot of 1st, a ton of 2nd and 3rd, and a few K and 4th level books out on my shelves. My few 5th grade books are put away, but I'll pull them out for the couple of kids that need them.

7. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

My school does not have a process, but this has been my project the last few weeks. I seem to have gathered almost 400 different titles this summer. I am inventoring them as well as labeling them. I will start at PK - 2nd and then as I lern their ability will bring out more books (I have up to a 5th grade level).
    I have not touched the school's books that are in my classroom - so I am not sure if I will get them all done......

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 3, 2011

My library ranges from 0.5 - 11.0! I will not be bringing them all to school, obviously. The only process my school uses for "leveling" the kiddos is DIBELS, and our first DIBELS isn't until October, so I have to kind of "feel my way" until those results are in. Any suggestions?? (and they have to be free or extremely low cost)

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2011

Can you get last year's scores for your kids?

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2011

I use individual conferencing much more than my DIBELS and STAR results for leveling.

I usually ask my kiddos to pick a book that they can read. I carry a few others from various levels with me, and go up or down from the page they read to me.

It takes time, but I find it very useful, and it helps with the beginning of the year relationship building.