APUSH Imperialism

Discussion in 'High School' started by megawinn, Jan 11, 2011.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Jan 11, 2011

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for teaching a lesson on Imperialism in America for AP US History. I have a challenging class situation. I am team teaching with a more experienced teacher and we have basically combined two classes. There are over eighty five students in the class at the same time. This makes many classroom activities difficult. However, the class period is 85 minutes and direct instruction for that long is just too difficult for the students. Any good ideas or activities that would work well for a large group of eleventh graders?

Thanks!

3. MadisonLee

MadisonLee New Member

Mar 1, 2011

Wow – it must be quite a challenge to manage 85 students for 85 minutes! While I have not had a similar teaching challenge yet, I had an idea. Perhaps you could break up the kids into smaller groups and ask them enact a play, a dialogue or tell a story that has to do with what you’re teaching them. The involvement of the students really enhances their attentiveness. I usually get some good ideas from Shmoop for my lesson preparation. They have some great guidelines for the AP US History Exam. You’ll find a lot of material on Imperialism in America that can help you in your classes. It makes learning History fun!