Apt Living w/ a Small Dog?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 23, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 23, 2012

I know, thousands of people live in apts & have pets everywhere, but I'm hoping to get dog alternative bathroom soutions for my under 15 lb dog. See, I have a perfect set-up/routine in the home where I live now, which I know won't be the same as an apt:

I live in a 2-story home & my dog's bathroom box is down in the garage. It's a good sized thin wooden (I guess plywood) box lined w/ newspapers. I've always just carried him downstairs every few hrs. I open the screen door to get to the garage. We have no doggie door & his bathroom box isn't the type where he can just walk into it. He can't get into it unless someone puts him in it. I just never wanted to go outdoors in the elements in our backyard (which isn't set-up for a dog anyway), plus I hate the tons of lizards that surround our house! It's actually easy to clean up his area in the bathroom box we have. When I'm getting ready for work every morning, I feed him & put him in the box & leave him there for 5 min while I continue getting ready & when I come back downstairs, he's usually done the #1 & #2. I bring him back in the house where he has the whole den sectioned off for him to stay in all day.

I LOVE this set-up that I've had for the past 8 yrs, but I will no longer have an attached garage to do this system. I know they sell those bathroom areas w/ fake grass that small dogs can do their business.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas other than actually taking my dog outside? (However, if I have to do it, I will.) :)

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 23, 2012

My mom can't easily take her dog out (her disability doesn't work well with her backyard which is very rocky and hilly) so she uses pee-pee pads. I must say, I have never smelled urine once in her house.

4. bison

bison Habitué

May 23, 2012

If it's available in your area and you have a balcony or something, you could certainly subscribe to one of those replaceable grass patch services. I know someone in LA who does it and they show up at his house to replace his grass every X amount of days, not sure of the exact number. My mom's little dog hates walks and will seriously poop right out on the sidewalk just to be able to go back in ASAP. It might be easier (and funnier) than you think. Either way, living in an apartment means a dog will need exercise. Good thing you live in a place with perfect weather 98% of the time! :)

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 23, 2012

DON'T buy the trays of fake grass. I have used a couple brands, and the smell is terrible. I have a 6 lb dog and a 15 lb dog. They both use pee pads during the day while we're out work. We bought trays that look like the bottom part of those kitty litter boxes, so the dogs step into the tray and pee on the pads. Those absorb the liquid and smell much better.

6. bison

bison Habitué

May 23, 2012

Just to clarify, I was talking about a delivery service for real grass that is placed outdoors. I think it has some sort of draining mechanism so you can water/rinse it too.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 23, 2012

Thanks a lot guys! I actually didn't want the fake grass. Just think, pooh getting all in there & drying up! I went to Petsmart & found this:

http://www.fourpaws.com/products/weewee-on-target-trainer.htm

I also got 2 types of sprays: 1 with a scent to ENCOURAGE urination and the other to DETER urinating. I'm going to try my best to nip it in the bud, so my new apt isn't messed up!

I'll definitely still walk him too, of course.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 24, 2012

we only had potty pads when he was a puppy since we didnt know when he was about to go but ever since then he goes outside on a leash to do his business. dogs need fresh airtime and be outside like people do too! :) I hope it all works out for you both.