april fools

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Elcsmith, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2009

all of these make me sad that we are on spring break this week. I can just picture my kids with that word search.

I thought about printing off the fake parking ticket floating around and putting in on my co-workers car... but figure next week will be too late for it to be funny.

2. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Apr 2, 2009

I also did the word search. I told my students that I would give 10 bonus points on the next test to anyone who found all the words. LOL. I tried so hard not to laugh as they struggled with it.

last year I told the kids that spring break was canceled and our state test was moved up a week. The looks on their faces was priceless.

3. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 3, 2009

The principal at my mom's school got on the PA and announced that "Due to the impending snow storm, we will have indoor recess today." It was about 55 degrees and sunny, but my mom was still waiting to see if any teachers called down and asked if they were really having indoor recess.

A couple of my 8th graders wanted to pull pranks on their parents so they asked if I could fill out detention forms for them. These are kids that do tend to get detentions from other teachers on a fairly regular basis so I wrote them out to say they were getting detentions for "raising their hand", "completing all their work", "being kind to others", "getting straight As", and "assisting the teacher"...you know, the kind of things that they don't always actually do! haha.

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 3, 2009

When my kids came back from lunch I told them that there was something wrong with the water supply and they were not allowed to use the bathroom or get a drink for the rest of the afternoon unless the principal told us otherwise. After an hour or so, one of my boys had to go reeeeaaallly bad, so I said, "How about you go ask the principal what you're supposed to do?" Then I followed him into the hallway and let him go to the restroom and let him in on the joke. He came back into the room holding himself and scrunching his face up like he was in pain and said, "The principal said we still can't go and he'll let us know if we can." So I told the boy to try and focus on something else so he wouldn't think about going to the bathroom. A few minutes later it happened again with another boy and someone said, "Maybe we can go outside and pee." So I told the second boy to go and ask the principal if he could go outside and use the bathroom. Again, I let this boy in on the joke and he came back in acting and said, "The principal said we aren't allowed to use the bathroom outside." After a few more minutes (and with several students sweating it), I asked the boys if they would share the other message the principal had sent with them for the class. They both called out "April Fool's!" The kids were then mad at the principal (not realizing the principal didn't even know about it), and I lined them all up and we took a class trip to the bathrooms. When we got back I confessed the whole thing. They loved it and they couldn't believe they had fallen for it...it was great!

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 3, 2009

I would have let the kid go down to ask the principal if he could pee outside... now THAT would have been funny to see!

6. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Mar 23, 2010

Just thought I would bump this thread. I've been waiting all year to do the crossword thing!

7. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 24, 2010

I'm doing the word search again this year, that one is priceless.

I usually get my kids to take it home and ask their parents to help them with it. Lots of stories of parents throwing wadded up paper balls at them in the end.

Then there was the ditzy gal last year who forgot it was a gag. She called one of her classmates in a panic because she couldn't get her homework done.

8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2010

I wondered if anyone would start this thread again.

Well I have already begun planning this years jape.

On Tuesday I shall be sending round some posters telling everyone about this great new technique for getting real 3D vision without the need for the special glasses. Thus you will be able to watch Avatar or Alice in Wonderland and other 3D films without them and in real life everything will be in 3D!

Then on Thursday I shall put out a special set of exercises stuck to a series of windows in the science dept. Things like reading out a set of ever smaller letters using the left eye, then the right eye. Looking through a small hole with the left eye etc. Then the final poster will invite everyone who has done the exercises to a special 3D movie showing at recess in the lab. The movie is really just a powerpoint and on the final slide a series of words in boxes appear and dissappear. The words make up the sentence. Don't you think you should have paid more attention: Then a really big text box that says APRIL FOOL appears.

I don't let the staff in on it either so expect to catch a few of them as well!

A few years back I posted a note round asking if anyone had found a set of realy small batteries that I had lost. They were special ones for my electric goldfish! I had dozens of kids and staff coming into my room to look at the fish, "They look so real" they all said! " I can't believe they are electric"!

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2010

As an aside the Google one I did last year had one very amusing side effect. At the next parent's evening I had a Dad complain that his daughter had come home from school and told them about the sattellite coming over next day. The mom had made the dad go out into the back yard and clear it up completely because she didn't want to be disgraced on the Google photo!

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 24, 2010

At my school, a bunch of the teachers are planning to swap classes for the first half-hour or so of the day. It's the last day for us before spring break.

11. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Mar 24, 2010

Last year, I took a screen cap of my computer's desktop in my classroom. Then, I saved it as a JPEG file, and deleted all the icons on my desktop except Internet Explorer and My Computer (because you can't get rid of them). I made the screen cap of the desktop the wallpaper (so it looked like all the shortcuts were there for Microsoft Word/PowerPoint/etc.).

Then I went and grabbed one of my coworkers and whined that my computer was acting weird, and that when I'd click on things it wouldn't open applications. I demonstrated then let her try it. It was so hard not to laugh while we stood there scratching our heads. Finally, I busted out laughing and explained what I did, lol. :lol:

Also, last year I used the word search. They tried so hard, and couldn't find anything. :D

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 24, 2010

I will have to pull my prank on March 31. We don't have school the next day! I will be printing out this thread for my files though. hee hee hee!

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 24, 2010

In years past I have looked up lists of very difficult (but very real) words and passed them out as my next spelling list. The kids fall for it every time.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 24, 2010

I am roaring with laughter! :rofl::toofunny::clap:

15. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 24, 2010

We used to do that in the office I worked in, but it didn't have to be April 1.

Another good one is changed the screen orientation, but it doesn't work on all computers (depends on the graphics card as I understand it.) Press ctrl+alt+arrow key. Right and left arrow keys turn the screen orientation sideways. Down arrow puts everything upside down, up arrow returns to normal.

16. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

Write a huge, impossible to do assignment on the board (50 pages, cursive, due tomorrow). Then tell them you need to talk to them about a very important assignment, and ignore all the gasps and "that's impossible." Then have the assignment be something like, "Eat this piece of candy."

You could also tell them that the bus garage is having trouble so they have to spend all night in school, but to make up for it, you'll teach the entire time

17. Leader08

Leader08 Rookie

Mar 26, 2010

Here are my ideas

1. Tell them that you are an alien that came to earth to study humans and sadly you must go back home within the next few days. You can make this story as real as you want.

2 Tell them that you just came from a meeting and they are closing your school down and they (students) will be moving to another school (all of them will move to different schools).

3. A meeting was held and the school cafeteria will be closed for only second graders that day because someone (a second grader) played a mean prank on the principal and the principal decided to cancel lunch. Wait till lunch and say "What are you guys waiting for...go to lunch."

Sounds like it will be funny no matter what you do. :D

18. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 26, 2010

Along these lines, most computers also have the ability to use a dvorak keyboard.

19. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Mar 26, 2010

20. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Mar 27, 2010

do you have a smartboard or audio-system in your class? use your presentation pointer and everytime someone stands up or says a particular word (or something ) secretly click your pointer and music will come on!

have the principal come to your room because you're "in trouble"

sing everything you say to them - tell them you woke up and you can't just talk - everything comes out like a song!!!

put black eye make-up on to look like you got punched and put a sling on your arm - tell the kids when you went home the night before there was a bear in your garage and you got in fight with it!!

21. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 27, 2010

Yeah......but what does the bear look like?

22. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 27, 2010

wow; I'd be afraid to do any April Fool's pranks with my little ones...I know they'd cry up a storm if I tried to do some of these pranks; the others are just over their heads. So, much more fun with those kids who are terrors though! haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.