Apps for walking/running

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teachling, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 13, 2013

What apps are user friendly for walking particularly for the iPhone? I normally use a pedometer device but the one I have is not working so I'm thinking of trying one of the free apps on my phone. Any good ones out there?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 13, 2013

I use MapMyWalk. The basic version is free, and while it runs ads, it's otherwise very good. You can pay to upgrade it to an ad-free version, but I've never felt the need. It's easy to use, the gps feature is very accurate (it even mapped out a loop I made in a convenience store one time), and it's capable of being attached to a heart rate monitor if you'd like. I'd highly recommend it.

4. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

I use runkeeper and intervaltimer.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2013

I've tried three different ones: MapMyRun, Endomondo, and RunKeeper. The last two were recommended to me, but I use MapMyRun the most. I use the free versions on all of them.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 13, 2013

:agreed:

I couldn't remember how to use it, so I tried it in Target. It mapped me going up & down aisles!

I do need to see how to unlink it to fb though. I know I tapped something, somewhere.

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 14, 2013

Mmswm, I appreciate the recommendation. I will check it out. Initially, I downloaded Pedometer app which was free. I just gave part of my profile such as height, weight and age as well as my weight goal. It appears to automatically setup my stride(?). Anyways I've used it twice just to get an idea on how far I'm traveling. It seems to work pretty good.
    I'll also checkout some of the others that were suggested. Thank you all!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 14, 2013

I used to use the Nike+ app... then I got married, and wasn't allowed to buy Nike sneakers anymore.

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2013

I also use Map My Walk and love it! I've been using it for over a year and I did spend the 99 cents to upgrade it to an add free version since I got really tired of the ads. :lol: I love it.

10. JoanPD

JoanPD Rookie

Jun 14, 2013

I use Endomondo, the free version, I haven't tried any of the others so I can't offer a comparison, but one feature I do like about Endomondo is that you can change it from walking to cycling, and while it has others as well those are the only two I use.

I have found the GPS to be decent, but there are times when I look at the map afterwards, it's put me a few meters into the river when I was on the trail next to the river.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 14, 2013

:lol:

Sorry! This tickled my funny bone.