Appropriate wear for girls

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I don't mean to be a prude or staunch, but isn't this dress a bit much for sizes 7-16? Once kids get to bigger sizes too like 14 and 16, regularly they do not go for the kids' sizes anymore, so this may be tailored to kids around 10. It's just not right-

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...rtServlet?view=20&No=120&N=1590787&R=03091014

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...tartServlet?view=20&No=0&N=1590787&R=03091016

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...rtServlet?view=20&No=100&N=1590787&R=03018681

There's a lot of appropriate wear out there, but there's also a lot of inappropriate wear. Some shirts have innuendos on it, and some kids even wear these types of clothes to school (not the dress, but shirts that may say something like, "Juicy"). (Luckily, we have uniforms.) Yet we have a fifth-grade dance every year, and I couldn't imagine if my daughter (I am not a mom yet, so this is theoretical) and I were shopping and a dress like the ones above caught her eye for the dance.

What do you think of how girls dress? Of course at school there are dress codes (or at most schools, anyway), but apparently there's a lot of clothing out there that isn't all that great.

(At least Dress #3 covers more and it's kind of cute, but still... it looks too adult for a girl to wear, in my opinion.)

3. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

I have a 7 year old son, not a daughter. Which is a good thing because a daughter of mine would NOT be wearing either of the two outfits pictures. Not until she was married. And maybe not even then if I had anything to say about it.

It is probably good that I do not have a daughter. My wife says that I would probably scar her for life with my overprotective tendencies. :lol:

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 30, 2009

I know what you mean

I have two daughters age 15 and 19. Shopping for a prom dress the last few years has been an adventure. Both have been blessed in the upper area and have curves. We try to find something modest that covers the "girls" but it is difficult.

I can't imagine trying to find a dress now for a younger girls.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I wouldn't even wear those top two dresses now (and probably not the third dress, either). I have a few fancy dresses, one satin one from Jones New York, but I am a grown woman.

I couldn't even imagine if I had a 7-year old son who saw another 7-year old girl wearing any of those dresses... :(

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

This is an issue near and dear to my heart, because I have 3 daughters. The first two were always large for their age (tall). They were wearing size 7 in PreK. It was incredibly difficult to find appropriate clothing for them at that age once they outgrew the "little girl" sizes of 4-6x. It gets sleazy...whatever happened to letting kids be little?

The one that got me was when shopping for jeans for my then 6-year-old daughter, and having to check and make sure that the ones we were picking up weren't "super low-cut." Why do first graders need hip-huggers?

I have found certain brands/stores that still carry little girl clothing in bigger sizes: Gymboree (up to size 12), Hannah Andersson (Swedish sizing, but my daughter who wears a 14 just outgrew them), Flapdoodles and Mulberry Bush (both up to size 12), Hartstrings (up to 16/18). Of course, these are not at all inexpensive...Children's place goes up to size 14, and some of their stuff is ok, too, and they are much, much cheaper.
    Kim

7. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

You are right about the inappropriateness of the dresses. I was shocked at some of the dresses that I was seeing earlier this spring for Easter and then this summer for a wedding. Little girls are being dressed or at least presented with dresses that "age" them several years. My 6yr old loved a couple of dresses because they were her favorite color pink.. the reality is I would never let her wear the one dress. It was barely worthy of a street walker.. and this is from a very reputable chain store. Little girls do not need dresses that barely cover their tushies and dip down to nearly the crack of the tushie either. The necklines did not account for anything more than most bikinis.

I am shocked that parents purchase some of the shirts with pictures and verbage on them that are borderline tasteless. We as parents need to remember that we are the parents and not a "friend" of our kids. Don't get me wrong... my girls are dressed well but there is no "hoochie" dress coming in this house for them.

8. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

:yeahthat:

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2009

When I was subbing, I constantly felt like an old lady, and I've spent all summer in denim minis from Ann Taylor and cami tops.

I think the third dress could be cute and appropriate, but I would have to see it on a kid to be sure, so I'll reserve judgement on that one. I'm not so sure I'd dress a kid in black either. I am amusing myself right now imaging what the 10yr olds wearing the first 2 dresses are going to wear to their proms.

Actually, pants with words on the butt get criticized a lot, but I think the Victoria Secret Pink line has HELPED get some teenaged girls covered up. The tanks run long and the sweats aren't too low-rise and pretty much everything in that line, underwear included, is cute and teen appropriate (and also in the front separate part of the stores). (I do have some that have my school name on the butt--they are comfy; sometimes I even wear them to the grocery store). Those Juicy Couture ones that say "Juicy" on the butt are just horrific, especially since they are usually worn two sizes too small.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

These dresses all look similar to what our grade 8 girls would wear for graduation--in women's sizes, not girl's! (Size 7? No wonder they grow up so fast!!!)

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

It's sad too because my mom used to buy me dresses from Dillards on special occasions as a girl. I had some really pretty, fancy dresses, but they wouldn't be in style now at all.

There are some adorable dresses out there. I'd buy these-
    - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Dresses+&+Skirts&sid=K-on-Sx20k061224x0000002 (Surprising, it's a K-Mart dress, but I like this one better than most from the chain stores)
    - http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3038941...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6008564&P=1 (with a shrug or cardigan)
    - http://stores.sophiasstyle.com/Item...NK SWIRL Dress BONNIE JEAN Boutique Girl 7-16
    - http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=42249|42445|68066|68068 (for a dressy event, but it's a longer dress with a short sleeve)
    - http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...artServlet?view=20&No=20&N=1094312&R=03037614
    - http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...rtServlet?view=20&No=100&N=1094312&R=03037765
    - http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...rtServlet?view=20&No=100&N=1094312&R=03037608

This wouldn't even be for a seven-year old, this would be for a fourth or fifth-grader!

BUT NEVER THIS ONE- This is the last one in the world I'd buy- it looks like a big piece of fabric, and it's a lot worse than the dresses I originally posted-
    http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=353285&CategoryID=45739

12. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

I think the third dress is cute, but the first two are inappropriate. I'm not sure I'd spend $50 on a kid's dress, though. Is that a normal price for children's clothing? Maybe I'm just too cheap. I would let a daughter of mine wear the third one to a more formal event, but not school.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Like someone else said, I kind of like the third dress, but I'd have to see a kid wearing it to pass complete judgment. :) I would never have a kid under 5th grade or so wear it, though. It would be cute for a middle-school girl.

14. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

As a mother of an 8 year old girl...I would NEVER let her wear either of those dresses. My husband won't even let her wear most of the bikini bathing suits out there because they're so skimpy. Lucky for me she's not too fru-fru, she'd rather throw on shorts and a tshirt and call it a day. Thank goodness for uniforms!

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2009

Hicks, I have bathing suit issues, too. I let my girls wear tankinis, but not bikinis. I like for the top and bottom to touch in a tankini, too, but that seems to be asking for too much around here. Only found one speedo suit that accomodates that requests. But those little teeny bikinis with triangle bra tops? no way. never.
    Kim

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2009

I think they're totally unappropriate. Our kids wear uniforms and I miss kids dressing like real kids but then when I think how stupid some parents are I'm glad they're in uniforms.

What kills me is the shoes the little girls wear with heals!!

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

This is a huge issue for me (although I don't have children). I get so angry when I see suggestive or otherwise inappropriate attire for young girls and boys. For example, the High School Musical underwear for girls that had "Dive In" on the front. What?!

18. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 30, 2009

The second set of dresses posted are very cute and something I would buy for nieces, the first ones are awful. The last one from the second post... I don't even understand why they would make that. I HATE when parents let their daughters wear clothes like that, or the Juicy crap. Sorry, getting a little irritated here, but seriously they're kids!!!

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

Definitely. My future daughter (if I am blessed in that way) will dress appropriately and modestly. She won't have any of the three first dresses, though the last one isn't the worst I've seen. She'd maybe try it on in 7th grade or so because she'd be older. It's just not too appropriate on an elementary school student. She would especially not have that other last dress (in the later post where I posted the modest dresses) I posted because that's the worst I have seen, ever. I am as irritated as a few others are.

The thing is... I have seen a few girls wear dresses like those first two to the fifth grade dance, and I was appalled.

20. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

:yeahthat:

21. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

I had a hard time buying a dress in February for a military ball. Even in the Junior sizes all of the dresses were short and much like the ones pictured. I am an adult and I wouldn't wear something like that let alone a little girl! It's not cute to show off a little girls body.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2009

I have a daughter and I wouldn't let her wear the first two for sure. I'd have to see how the 3rd looked on her b/c I think its cute. My nieces wear dresses like this (17 and 15). My dh (their bubba) was NOT happy. And you should have seen the look on his face when the older one showed him her prom dress (and the other choices she tried on). He wasn't happy. Even though she looked beautiful in the final choice. I'm going to be very careful what my dd wears to school.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2009

Here's the online description: "Heat things up in this outrageously stylish dress from Sister Sam featuring a one-shoulder look and oversized bow at the neckline!"

Heat things up? Why do little girls need to heat or spice things up? I think it's disgusting.

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I've been searching online for jeans that go to the natural waist and it's been hard. My dh has to tell the youngest "crack kills" when she bends over when she is wearing a pair of pants her bio mom bought her. She's not allowed to wear them out of the house.

25. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2009

I don't think these shoes are too age appropriate for a kid- a 15-year old or so, it doesn't matter, but not a younger kid-

They wrote these shoes are for AGE 4 and up! SIZE 13!!
    - http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3053386...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6019470&P=1
    - http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3029064...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6019470&P=1

I love shoes. They're better than dresses in the fact they're not that suggestive. But I CANNOT see a kindergarten student wearing either of the shoes above... I really can't.

Plus, can LITTLE kids even maneuver in those?!

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

27. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 1, 2009

I have 2 sisters (one now 29 and the other now 18). My 29yo sister (who is a teacher) went through a phase about 4 years ago where she stopped buying pants altogether because of how low-rise all the fashions had become. She said she went nearly 18 months without being able to find a pair of slacks that didn't let her underwear peek out of the top.

My younger sis had the "crack" problem, too. My dad, sis, and I agreed to razz her about it in much the same way that we guys do when one of us starts showing "plumber's butt". She took the hint after the first few times we yelled across the room at her in front of her friends: "Hey, M****! Say No to Crack!" :lol: Outside of that phase, she is mercifully a modest dresser.

MathManTim

G-Minus 16 days, 0 hours

28. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

My dd (10) and I have trouble finding her clothes. She says a lot of the things we see look like hootchie clothes. Luckily, she is really particular about what she wears. She wears Wrangler jeans and Ariat boots about 75% of the time. If the shirt has a horse on it, she is good. I can't believe some of the dresses that we see in the stores when we are shopping. I wouldn't have worn some of these to my senior prom.

29. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I got a catalog full of cute, age-appropriate clothes for boys and girls in the mail the other day. I don't have any kids, so I have no idea why it came addressed to me.

http://www.chasing-fireflies.com/

My sister is 8 years younger than I am, and over the years, I have seen her friends wear some things that totally shocked me. I'm not a prude, but I don't think there's anything sexy about little girls, and I don't think that parents should allow their daughters to dress like there is. If I have a daughter, her clothes will fall into the cute, darling, and adorable descriptions. I'll let her wear ugly clothes too, if she wants, but she doesn't need to look like a tiny hooker, or even a tiny high schooler.

30. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I think those shoes are cute and would have let my daughter wear them. I look at what girls wear now and most little girls these days at least in CA are used to wearing flip flops 24/7 so those shoes would not be a problem.

31. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Well it does say for sizes 7 - 16. Maybe they are aiming the wording for the older girls in that size range. My own daughter could probably still get into a size 16 and she is 17 yrs old. It also looks like a dress for a fancy party or formal event.

32. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

33. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Those dresses are as bad as the shorts that practically have the butt cheeks hanging out.