Appropriate to invite parents to professional blog?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by time out, Jul 12, 2012.

1. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

Hey, do you think it would be okay to invite parents to my professional blog? If you've seen my other post, I created a web talk on the common core standards and I thought that sharing my blog would be a great way to educate my parents about the new standards.

I know if I invite parents to it that I'll have to really monitor what I say but I'm okay with that - I can just vent here :p But I'm a little worried about how other teachers might respond on there in the future.

What do you think?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 12, 2012

I personally wouldn't.

I have a link to my standards on my school website. My state is pretty good about explaining the standards and expectations so I don't need to do more than that.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2012

I wouldn't.

5. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

Well, our standards will be changing in a year and I thought the videos would help parents learn more about the changes. I guess I could always direct them to the source of the videos instead of the blog.

But I also feel parents would really get to learn about my teaching style and philosophy (more than they would get from orientation or a letter) if they visited my blog.

What to do ... what to do ...

EDIT
    Hmm....now that I think about it, I don't think I want them to read my reflections about lesson failures or difficult students. Yikes, that would be terrible.