Appropriate School Footwear

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ghost, Jul 14, 2008.

?

What shoes do you wear to school?

1. Dress shoes or heels

32.0%
  2. flats or casual shoes

76.6%
  3. sandals

36.7%
  4. tennis shoes/sneakers

25.0%
  5. flip-flops

10.2%
  6. something else not listed---what????

7.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

I was wondering about what everyone else thought.

3. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Jul 14, 2008

So much for a consistent style :) I'm not totally against flip-flops, they just hurt my feet after more than an hour.

4. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 14, 2008

As a chef, I wear close toed shoes with a built in arch support that are skid resistant.

Slips and falls are one of the leading causes of injury in a restaurant kitchen.

5. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

No flip-flops or tennis shoes!!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 14, 2008

I'll wear anything listed there, and boots--which I'll put in the "other" category.

I hate tennis shoes in general, so it's a rare time when I wear them anywhere, much less to work. I wore them to the kickball tournament and to field day. I wear sandals of all kinds from March through October.

The shoes I wear depend on the outfit I'm wearing.

7. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I almost never wear heels...I wear orthotics already and since my husband is a chiropractor he gives me a hard time about wearing heels. I try to at least wear dressy flats...but if I'm having major foot issues, then I give in and wear tennis shoes.

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

I wear a bit of this and a bit of that depending on what my day is like and what I will be doing after work.

I have a really bad right ankle- so I only wear heels (which most wouldn't consider heels) on special nights like report card pick-up.

I'm going to a new job next year, so I'll have to feel it out. But the last four years, I've worn mainly Dr. Martens, Crocs, Addidas and Asics- (my retired running shoes). On days when my ankles are really bad I wear my Asics- I have the "winterized crocks" which are easy to throw in my bag and then I can change out of my boots when I get to work so I'm not wearing hot heavy boots all day.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I would wear casual shoes. Once in a while sneakers when we were going on a field trip or if it was a casual day (Fridays), but not every Friday would I wear them.

10. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

:lol: Hubby's new Shoes for Crews just arrived today.

11. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jul 14, 2008

Most of my shoes look dressy, but they're flats. I'm 5'10", I don't want to tower over my students any more than I already do!

12. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

Just wanted to say that Payless Shoes carries some really cute flats nowadays!

13. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

I wear casual shoes and Crocs.

14. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

I put other... it depends on what the day's activities are and what I am wearing. For instance, we go on a field trip that is at a regional science center in 5th grade. There is no way that I could wear casual, dressy, sandals, or (high) heeled shoes there!! Tennis shoes or boots are absolutely essential especially as we will be out no matter what the weather conditions are-- blizzards and thunder/lightning are the only things that deter our outside adventures. Obviously, the type of shoes that are best suited for your teaching day depends on many factors including the climate, your classroom, your activities, the grade level, etc. The only thing that I am not a fan of are flip-flops. Even in the hottest regions, you should be able to find a nicer sandal than a flip-flop to wear.

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

I wear Clarks sandals when it's hot and then switch over to my Keds - sneakers, but very cute!

16. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

I wear dressy heels, wedges, nice sandals in the warm weather, dressy boots in the winter. I wear flip-flops after school when I'm working in my room. I will wear tennis shoes on outdoor field trips, like to the pumpkin farm.

I'm only 5'2" so I don't really wear flats. I look tiny!

17. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

Flip Flops (no matter how expensive) and any other shoe with an open toe are NOT permitted in my school. My principal has sent teachers home to get new shoes if they choose to wear these.

18. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

Death to Shoes for Crews! I can attest to their non-slip-ness--though it ended up hurting more than helping me. My body went one way and my foot stayed in the same place. My ankle has never been the same. :(

I mostly wear sandals and slip-on clogs. Sneaks about twice a year. Heels, never. Flip-flops, never. (Though I do have a nice pair of thong sandals that I wear once every couple weeks in the summer.) As I've posted elsewhere, I am in and out of my shoes all day, so most of the time you'll find me barefoot. Being able to slip in and out of a shoe quickly is my main reason for wearing something. Birkenstocks are my best friend.

19. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

EmmaKate-
    I'll second Payless! I love the American Eagle shoes they carry now!

20. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 14, 2008

We are not allowed to wear flipflops or tennis shoes.

21. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

My feet always hurt so I must wear shoes that have great support so no flats, flip flops, crocs, etc. for me. I stick with Dansko.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I only wear sneakers when my back or foot hurt really bad or on spirit days when I'm going to be active. My usual footwear is flats (I wear a size 2 1/2 in kids, so there aren't too many dressy choices for my size!), but I'll wear dressy shoes for special occassions at schools.

A friend of mine keeps a pair of slippers in her classroom to wear when she is teaching. I like that idea:)

23. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I am mostly in flip flops. My p has said that we are not to wear Reef type flip flops, but dressy thong sandals are ok. So I mostly wear those unless the occassion calls for something different.

24. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

I wear both low heels and flats, although I can't wear flats more than one day in a row or my feet kill me! On Fridays, I wear my casual danskos.

25. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I wear clogs in the winter and sandals with a short heel in the spring/summer. I cannot wear flat shoes nor can I wear high heels, it has to be somewhere in the middle

26. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

I wear all of those.

Usually flip-flops (summer) or brown Skechers (winter).

Tennis shoes are a rarity with me, but I don't care for them and rarely wear them ever. However, the school district wants us to wear tennis shoes. Where I am from in MI the teachers look like they stepped out of a magazine. I can't stand in most heels all day and I never wear super nice clothes to school because I have ruined too many things. Besides, I am one who will sit on the floor if necessary and if you are all dressed up you can't do that.

27. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

I pretty much wear all of them at some time or another.
    Most often thought I would say I wear dressier type sandals. I used to wear heels all the time, basically because I'm short and pants don't fit! I've stopped doing that and started getting my pants hemmed because the heels have really started hurting my knees!

28. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

My P has foot problems and is very big on wearing comfortable shoes, even tennis shoes are fine every day. I live in my (fake)crocs and plan to buy some of the nicer looking real ones. We're not allowed to wear flip flops. :(

29. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

My favorite shoe brands are Dr. Martens, Crocs, Clark's and Dansko. I guess that makes me "casual." I never, never wear heels, not even to weddings, and we aren't allowed to wear sneakers or flipflops to school.
    Kim

30. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I wear closed toe sandals year round. They are always a dressy style. I do not like to wear shoes though and I have a lot of trouble finding shoes that fit me comfortably.
    I love sandals because my feet don't feel so closed in and they are usually always comfortable for me.

31. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 14, 2008

My all time favorite shoe is this one: http://www.payless.com/Catalog/Prod...Popularity=317&DescriptiveColor=Black&Size=10

I have it in brown atm, but plan on getting black too! I love shoes with heels--- though I don't need it since I'm 6 foot--- but I need a heel that is very supportive. This wedge is amazing and its a cute style too.

Most of my other teaching shoes are flats, but when I can find an awesome heel (like that wedge) I buy 2 pairs of them :D

32. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I swear by Keens!!!!!!! Love them . . . Love them . . . Love them! I have them in black casual shoes, sandals, brown lace up casuals - anything I can get my hands on when I find them on sale!!! I'd wear a different pair of Keens every day if I could! (I do occasionally wear other sandals, my adidas running shoes or boots depending on a field trip!) But, I'll put in a motion to try Keens if your feet end up tired by the end of the day!

33. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

I voted for three: sneakers, casual shoes and other (the dressier sketchers).

I didn't vote for heels or dress shoes. I wear these a lot when I go out socially and for my business and much prefer them, but I only wear them to school for certain days like parents night, first day of school etc. I am a much better teacher with happy feet and our principal prefers us not to wear shoes that would make responding to emergencies difficult. I have to say, after sinking my heels in the mud after a small fire and kneeling down in heels after a real lock-down that she is right!

34. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks to a lovely heel spur this past year, I've given up anything except a great pair of athletic shoes. My podiatrist has recommended New Balance shoes.

35. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

Comfortable and Clean. I have a pair of earth shoes from walmart that are dressier wedge sandles...and they are the most comforatble shoes i own (aside from my hiking shoes). I've also fallen in love with a pair of vegan shoes (company i dont remember) from zappos that looks like a pair of vans but in much cuter colors. I'm used to business casual shoes so its rare i wear sneakers outside of the gym or weekends. I dont see myself wearing open toed shoes at school mostly because i'm afraid to get stepped on.

36. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 15, 2008

I wear everything except flip-flops. I would never wear Crocs (just my opinion). I really want a pair of Danskos, but I can't justify the cost just yet.

37. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 15, 2008

I'm mostly in dressy flats or sneakers. I wore a pair of boots (with about a 1" heel) to school one day and I thought my feet would never forgive me! So much pain! I wish I could wear stuff like that more often, but it just kills me by the end of the day.

38. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

I mostly wear flats but sometimes I have to wear wedge heels because my certain pants are longer. On Fridays I occasionally wear tennis shoes because it is jeans day.

39. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

I'm a sandals / flip-flop gal.

But, I'm also in Florida.

When I lived in Chicago I wore regular shoes that covered everything.

Kelly :)

40. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

No flip flops or crocs on our campus. I worked for an orthopedic surgeon YEARS ago and he said there were two kinds of shoes, smile shoes and style shoes and he recommended smile shoes if you're going to be on your feet all day. Dressy flats for me.

41. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

My husband has a drop foot & he loves his New Balance shoes.

I wear closed toed shoes. My only requirement is that they are comfy. I bought new shoes last year & hated them cause they were so not comfy. I need new, comfy shoes.

I do have a cute pair of heels that I wear when I know I'm not going to be on my feet alot or for those pants that are just too long. But I can't walk backwards in them & my feet are killing me by 3p.m.