Appropriate preschool teacher attire?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TheNewGirl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. TheNewGirl

TheNewGirl New Member

Aug 20, 2012

Hi everyone! This is probably an extremely silly question, but it's something that I never thought to take note of in my school observations. What do preschool teachers/assistants normally wear? I am starting as a first time teacher's assistant this month and realized that I never noticed what the teacher's would wear while I was on my observation visits for class. Guess I was too caught up in watching the children :)
    The main thing I could think of was something that is non fussy since I'll be on the floor, bending over, running around and mixing paints/playdoughs etc. Do people wear jeans? Tennis shoes? Sandals during the summer? I guess I always think of teachers in dresses/slacks and pumps, but that seems impractical for preschool.

I'm probably over thinking all of this, but appreciate any insight you guys can give me. Thanks!

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 20, 2012

I wear khaki type pants and long sleeve or short sleeve shirts depending on season. Typically not blouses or button down (hate ironing). I find wash and wear to be the best. We are not able to wear jeans M-Th. On Friday we do because we don't have students that day.

4. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 20, 2012

This is my first year teaching preK (former 2nd grade teacher). I have khaki pants/capris in multiple colors (tan, gray, black, etc). I have a lot of brightly colored polos (Old Navy) and simple shirts (mostly the target brand Mirona). When it cools down I'll wear some cardigans too. As for shoes, I have Sperrys and black flats.

My assistant wears a lot of polos, long khaki shorts and sneakers.

Jeans are acceptable at my school t

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

hahah Khaki capris, khaki pants and jeans without holes. Lots of polo shirts and sweaters I can wash.

6. msaly

msaly Comrade

Aug 20, 2012

Does your school have a dress code policy?

I wear jean or black capri's or shorts (fingertip length is our rule) with a short sleeved or sleeveless shirts during fall/summer/spring. I wear jeans and sweaters in the "winter" (I live in FL!). A lot of teachers wear polo shirts- I despise polo shirts (mostly because I had to wear them when I was younger in school) so I wear just normal wash and wear nicer tshirt style. I wear flip flops (nicer ones with beads or sequins) all year long (with the exception of a few winter days, I might wear boots).

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2012

I wouldn't buy anything until you call and find out the dress code. Some schools allow jeans, some don't. Some have shirts or aprons you have to wear, some don't. Some allow sandals, some don't.

Whatever it is, I recommend new teachers:
    -don't wear dry-clean only clothes
    -invest in comfortable shoes
    -make sure you aren't displaying body parts when you bend over, etc. (I am tired of seeing butt cracks :blush:)
    -have layers at school (playgrounds get hot/cold, etc.)
    -wear sunscreen

I strongly feel early childhood educators need to consider themselves as professionals if they want others to think of them as such (and pay them higher!). I don't mean wearing suits, but try to look the part as a teacher, not something you'd clean house in or wear to a party or working out - you know what I mean. Have fun at the new job.

8. casey

casey Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

I wear colorful shirts and capris and Converse. I like to wear all plaid one day, stripes another, animal themes, etc. Just like the three year olds that I teach!

9. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012

I think it depends on what the dress code is where you work. I've worked at centers where it was totally acceptable to wear jeans and a t-shirt and gym shoes everyday. Now I'm working in an elementary school, and I'm expected to follow the teacher dress code so I have to "dress up" -- and I typically wear dress pants and a nice shirt with comfortable dress shoes (no gym shoes allowed).