Appropriate for summer?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MrsRed, Jun 24, 2014.

1. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jun 24, 2014

Hello all! This is sort of job-seeking related, so I think this is the best place to ask this question. I'll be starting my fourth year of teaching in the fall, and I got a position at a different school. This school has a big teacher workroom where all of the teacher desks are, because no teacher has an assigned classroom. The headmaster sent an email to the new faculty members advising us that they are moving things around in the work room and will be installing new desks the first week of July. She mentioned that if we wanted to come in and claim a space after they are installed, we are welcome to. I definitely want to go in ASAP and claim a desk.

My issue is that I have a son, who will be one on Thursday, and during the summer I am his primary caretaker. I'll be switching daycares in the fall due to working in a different part of town, so right now he isn't even enrolled at any daycare. Would it be entirely inappropriate to ask if I can bring him with me the day I come claim my desk? It won't be an official teacher work day, since we don't go back until late July, and all I would really be doing is putting some supplies away and making my presence known. Once the official orientations start and we have teacher work days, I obviously won't bring him in with me.

At my old school, I wouldn't even have given it a second thought. My old school was very family friendly and even allowed teachers to bring their children during the work days before school started (even though I wouldn't have, since I feel like I would get nothing done).

Opinions? Should I ask if I can bring him? Should I bring him without asking? Should I stay away from the subject completely? The school knows I have a son, but doesn't know how young he is.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2014

Since you are stopping in on your own time, I wouldn't even ask. I'd just bring him. I am my niece's full time sitter during the summer and she will be brought with me when I work on my classroom on my own time.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2014

It wouldn't be an issue at any school I have been at.

5. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 25, 2014

I wouldn't ask either, I would bring him in. Seriously, how long could it take to claim a desk? But of course you'll want to visit. And of course show off your adorable baby! There really aren't that many times kids can come to school with you so relish in the art of showing people your family!
    On a side note, I am new to the school I will be going to and do plan on taking my 11 and 9 year old with me to set up my classroom when I can get in. A: I don't have a daycare for them and B: I need the free labor!

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2014

I would bring him. I brought my baby with me the first time I went to see my new classroom. I did ask first and my principal said a lot of teachers' kids would be at the school and there was no problem.

7. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 25, 2014

The only time I don't bring my children during summer is if I have an official meeting (as I did last week and will again tomorrow) or if I have a great deal of work in my room to do. I even brought the playpen when my son was a baby.

Summer is your time, you are mommy then. Take him along.