Appropriate amount of homework for 1st grade.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Dalrose, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Sep 19, 2005

Help! This is the third week of school and I am a first time 1st grade teacher. So far we're doing a lot of review and i do give some homework but nothing too structured. A couple of parents want more homework. How much is enough. What kind of homework do I give, Do I just run dittos to reinforce what we are doing in class? Please help!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 19, 2005

My suggestion would be that if you don't have anything specific that you'd like them to do for homework (finish something that was started in class or something specific you want them to practice at home) I would just stick with what you're doing. If parents ask for more, just tell them that because it's still early in the year you don't have too much that you want them to do for homework. Or maybe just keep the parents informed of what you're doing in class so if they'd like to review it with their children at home, they can.

4. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 19, 2005

I agree with beth 2004. However, it also depends on what your math or reading series is. For example, we have Scott Foresman, which suggests that you send Take Home books for the children to read on different nights. We also have Saxon math which suggests a homework page each night to reinforce skills that learned that day and previously during the week. We are required to follow the curriculum, by the district. The general rule that I have always heard is ten minutes per grade level.

5. Dalrose

Dalrose Rookie

Sep 19, 2005

I had heard about the 10 minute per grade suggestion and I also ask them to read with the child each day for 15-20 minutes. I have Back to School Night on Weds. so I need to decide what to tell them. One parent told me she wanted her son "challenged". So do I send some more homework than others? It doesn't seem quite fair.

6. jcg

jcg Cohort

Sep 19, 2005

I would suggest having him read more at night. Ask mom what she means by challenged and then give her suggestions on what she can do with him!

7. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Sep 21, 2005

hi-i'm in my 2nd year of teaching 1st grade. currently i send one worksheet (which corresponds w/our math curri.) home every night, mon.-thurs. i also tell the parents that the children must be reading for at least 10 min. per night. i would not get in the habit of sending home "extra" homework for children who need to be "challenged"...it just ends up being more work for you!! :( encourage mom to work w/johnny on whatever skills you're reviewing in class-w/flashcards, games, etc. i know that walmart & many dollar stores now sell a lot of educational materials. as for the other students, i would send home one (easy) review worksheet per night! if you need any other suggestions, just ask! good luck to you!!! -meri :)

8. dee

dee Companion

Sep 21, 2005

I send home one math homework sheet per night and one spelling sheet Mon-Thurs. Depending on what we are working on in Language, I may send home a sheet in this subject also. Our reading program requires each child to read for 20 mins. per night.

9. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

oops! forgot to mention that my kids are also expected to practice (write, say, & use in simple sentence) their spelling words each night, mon.-thurs. we have a quiz every friday. gosh, we do expect a lot out of 6 year olds-ha-ha!! -meri

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2005

Math games
    reading
    flash cards
    spelling words
    spelling or math bingo
    online games
    websites
    journal writing

are all great suggestions for parents looking for more to do for their kids- don't let them create more work for you running off more worksheets/packs.

11. MR ARMS PKTEACH

MR ARMS PKTEACH Rookie

Sep 22, 2005

Spelling Words
    1.) ABC Order
    2.) Copy 3 times
    3.) 3 Sentences using spelling words
    Take Home Books
    Math Worksheets
    Reading Worksheets

My homework took 30 minutes sometimes an hour for my K/1 kids to do. I also taught the 21st Century after school program and most of my kids were there, so I know first hand. I had some that would not finish their homework in the hour they had to do it. It was simple, for example one night they had to put spelling words in ABC order, do a 5 question math page and read a take home book. The ABC order would take 30 minutes itself.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2005

30 minutes seems like a long time for K-1. That's what my district rquires of 2nd grade. I plan my HW to take about 3o minutes- some kids are much faster and then of course some will 'linger' for longer......