Approaching a principal about a co-worker

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Loves the beach, Feb 18, 2014.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 19, 2014

I assumed that you were concerned about your students, however, it seemed that CYA was at least as much a concern. Going to administration covers both, but I'd stick with your students as the first, foremost, and only reason for it.

2. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 19, 2014

This.

I don't blame you at all. It sounds like you need to protect yourself. :hugs: From what you have said your school situation does not sound ideal.

Please don't let a few bad apples keep you from updating.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2014

I disagree with this. I wouldn't get students involved.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2014

And why shouldn't protecting her CAREER and INCOME be "at least as much a concern" as students' IEPs? Completely unnecessary rudeness to the OP.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2014

This is ridiculousness. Sorry, Loves the Beach.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2014

My biggest concern is for my family. My career and income most definitely affect my family, so those things are pretty close to the top of the list as well. Shame on anyone who thinks that any teacher who puts their family first is selfish or unethical.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2014

I disagree with your first statement. Strongly.

If the OP did not care for her students, she would not think about reporting this teacher. She has clearly stated that THE STUDENTS are suffering because of this teacher's negligence. If she reports this teacher, she is putting her career/income/whatever at risk, and that requires careful consideration. That is perfectly justified.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2014

I asked OP if that is what she meant because it didn't seem to come out as I would have expected being that she did want to report. I did PM her, I don't know if she checked, telling her how I would approach admin showing concern for the student, the school and the teacher who is not showing up. By doing all 3, I feel it is a sound way to address the issue. It is possible that the special education teacher has something odd going on that needs some intervention, not necessarily firing. Showing concern for all 3 areas shows it is not tattling or snitching but being concerned.

9. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Feb 19, 2014

OMG, there is nothing wrong with wanting to protect yourself. If the OP has kids....her own kids should be her first, foremost and primary concern.
    WOW, just wow.

10. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 19, 2014

Agreed. I don't understand the insinuation that a teacher protecting themselves = not caring for the students.