Applying without a LOR from current Principle

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by RCP, Apr 19, 2015.

1. RCP

RCP New Member

Apr 19, 2015

How necessary is it to have a letter of recommendation from your current principal (she's the only admin) when applying to other jobs? Does it look bad to not have one, even though all my other letters are good?

If I asked, I think she would give me a good recommendation, but it would really open a can of worms. I'm pretty sure I don't want to leave the school I work at, but the school just down the street has a position I'd may be interested in and want to find out more about it.

Another question, do I need to get letters of recommendation updated annually? What's their shelf life?

Thanks

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2015

Do you have an excellent recent evaluation? Given the fact that you are not ready to commit to changing jobs, a current evaluation by your principal, coupled with your other LOR's may be effective until you are possibly further along in a serious hiring process. If you check another current or recent thread, you will receive very good opinions about the shelf life of a LOR.

4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Apr 19, 2015

I would make up a grant or summer course or prize that requires a lor. That way she doesn't know you are looking for another job.

5. The Natural Log

The Natural Log Rookie

Apr 19, 2015

Since dishonesty always goes over well. What happens when the principal says she will just send the LOR to the university or grant-giving body directly?

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2015

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. Either approach the principal and let her know you like to keep all of your ducks in a row, which includes keeping LOR's current. Stranger things have happened than a friendly principal leaving a job with little warning, leaving the acquisition of the LOR precarious.

Or, if you know that you will be renewed unless you choose to leave, be honest about a school right down the street. Who hasn't gone window shopping at some point in their life? Sometimes you don't know how happy you are until you have something to compare it to. That is much more honest.

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Apr 19, 2015

I've always let my principals know that I was updating my professional portfolio and was wanting a LOR to add to my portfolio. This year, I was honest with my principal and just let him know that I was looking for advancement opportunities. He understood. I'd just be honest with your principal.