Applying to subbing jobs...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissWull, Jun 10, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 10, 2008

I am currently hired in one district as a sub. Since the outlook doesn't look too great, for now, for teaching...should I apply to sub in another district...that way I can at least do that for next year?

I applied to this one district and they invited me to their orientation next week. But I would have to pay $50 for their fingerprint clearance. BUT...if I get a position anytime between now and September it's kind of like I wasted that $50.

So I guess it's either be over-prepared for next year and spend the money, or don't spend the money and just hope for the best. What do you guys think?

3. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jun 10, 2008

Do you have to sign up to be a sub in this district right now? If not, maybe you can wait until the end of the summer and if a teaching job doesn't come your way (I hope something does for you, though!), you can sign up to start subbing then.

I know a few of the districts I sub for require you to attend an orientation, but it is offered at least once a month. So if you can't make one, you can sign up to attend one that fits your schedule. Not sure if that's how the districts around you work, but you may want to look into it.

And good luck finding a teaching job!! I'm in the same boat you're in right now! :)

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2008

I don't think the fingerprint clearance would be wasted. You would have to get cleared for any district, I'd imagine if you just had it done that would be ok for another district.

I say sign up for as many districts as you can now. Don't wait till the end of summer. I'd much rather tell them later that I can't sub, then try to do everything at the last minute.

5. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 10, 2008

I agree with Miss Frizzle. If you do end up subbing again next year, at least you will be signed up with the district now, instead of waiting for the paperwork to go through later.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2008

I think you should sign up now. It can take time to get cleared in a district and also many times if a long-term sub position opens up districts look in the sub pool, because those people have already been cleared to sub by the board of education.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2008

I say go ahead and sign up.

8. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

I would get on the list ASAP. Some places only have one board meeting a summer by me and it takes time to get approval. That is if your process is the same.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 10, 2008

Unfortunately, the districts each make you do a fingerprint clearance with THEIR district (so ridiculous). As far as I know, most of the districts only have orientations a couple times a year. So I guess I should be safe rather than sorry, sign up to sub and just hope for the best in the teaching world. It is a district I applied to teach at...so maybe getting my subbing info going will give good vibes to HR as for hiring me for a teaching position instead! Woo! hehe. Ok, ok...wishful thinking! :)

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 10, 2008

Be really nice to the secretary at the district. They should be able to hand you a copy of the background check. You paid for it!