[Applying To] LTS Positions

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Suburban Gal, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 13, 2006

Well, I decided to apply to some LTS positions today. Even though I probably wouldn't receive any benefits, I'd be be getting steady hours and steady pay nonetheless. So why not? What do I have to loose? I can still look for a TA position on the side if I managed to take a LTS. And who knows, I may even like LTS enough to keep doing it for awhile.

Don't mind me. I'm just trying to cheer myself up and look at a brighter side to all of this job hunting (which I terribly loathe).

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 13, 2006

Good luck, Elizabeth!

In LTS positions, a lot of times, after the 10th or 20th day depending on the district, you get pro-rated teacher pay... that sure beats day-to-day or TA positons, even if it doesn't have benefits!

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Sep 13, 2006

I'm confused... are you looking at that other position that deals with the Spanish Language Learners or not??

If not, good luck in your continued job search. I know how incredibly frustrating it is to find a job.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 13, 2006

How do you find LTS positions? Here, you pretty much have to be a day-to-day sub in a district, and then they call you if something opens up...and so far, nothing has opened up. I did send an application for one about an hour away from me, but never heard anything... :(

6. Suburban Gal

Sep 13, 2006

You know what, I honestly didn't think of that at first which is why I shyed away from the LTS positions as long as I did.

I still am, but they haven't gotten back to me. So, I don't know. I guess it all depends on if they can find someone to aide me. Besides, it's only an Anticipated opening at this point, not an actual opening.

Most of the districts here (and up in the SE WI area) use General ASP where you can store, modify, and apply at any time. General ASP also allows us to view open positions and if you click on the 'SUBSTITUTE(S)' link for jobs they usually list regular Substites and Substitute Teacher Aides in addition to any LTS spots that may need filling.

That's how I find the ones for my area.

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 13, 2006

Are you sure you don't get benefits? When I was a LTS last year I got retirement and health care.

8. Suburban Gal

Sep 13, 2006

I know I get teacher's retirement no matter what I do in the education field, but am pretty sure LTS wouldn't give me medical, dental, and vision (which I really need).

I know Substitutes up in WI are eligible for retirement PLUS medical, dental, and vision benefits, but I'm not going to be crossing the state line JUST to sub.

That's the MAJOR downside to IL. Substitutes don't get much of anything like other Substitutes in other states.

Now, another possibility is to be a TA up in WI. The only folks who need to be certified up there are Substitutes and SPED TAs. So, if I read the WI DOE's site correctly, all I'd have to do is apply for regular TA jobs and hope they interview me.

According to MapQuest, I'm only 39 minutes away from Kenosha, WI and that would be no further a drive for me than it would be if I were to work out west in Barrington, Buffalo Grove, Lake Zurich, Wauconda, Round Lake, Fox Lake, Lake Villa or Antioch.

9. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

In the district I am going to be subbing, substitutes also do not receive benefits. I have heard of some districts that do. Is there usually a company that you can affordably get insurance through while subbing?

10. Suburban Gal

Sep 14, 2006

It depends on the individual companies and the kind of individual coverage they elect to offer people. When I started subbing, I was able to get some fairly affordable health coverage through Celtic (a mide-western insurance company) and then moved over to UniCare, whom I'm still with.

I have an Individual PPO with Unicare. I'd add dental and vision to that, but it's just a struggle to afford the actual medical part of it.

You may want to check into Blue Cross Blue Shield's PPOs. They're national and have individual plans. They'd be a bit more pricy than UniCare, but still affordable, I think. Regence Breakthru is their health plan for individuals in families in Washington State. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION or CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE PLANS. You should also be able to acquire dental and obtain vision discounts as well.

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2006

I don't know if other people feel the same way, but I've had awful luck with Blue Cross Blue Shield. They wouldn't let me see a doctor when I went away for school, because my health is too bad to qualify for vacation benefits (anything out of state). They randomly decide to not let me refill prescriptions, refuse to allow the correct doses (making me take smaller ones), and have a 6 week time limit on injuries. So, when I hurt my leg, by the time the doctors figured out what was wrong, it was too late to get any coverage. I need a second MRI, but it isn't covered because I got one three years ago.
    Sorry, I'm fighting with that this week and I'm cranky

12. Suburban Gal

Sep 15, 2006

I'm sorry that's how it worked out for you with Blue Cross Blue Shield. Did you have their HMO? Sorry, but that sounds more like an HMO to me and I don't recommend HMOs, just PPOs.

My mom has worked for the Federal Government for well over 20 years and has had Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO for MOST of her time with Civil Service and has NEVER had a single problem with it. They've always paid out their portion and on time. Over the course of her time in Civil Service she switched health insurance twice - once from BCBS to Aetna and again from BCBS to Humana and GHEA (for Dental). She was unhappy both times and obviously went back to BCBS. After two fallouts, I don't think she will ever leave BCBS ever again. In fact, she believes so strongly in BCBS that she's managed to covert most of the office from other health insurance to BCBS. And boy, do they love it! :)

13. Suburban Gal

Oct 6, 2006

UPDATE (3 weeks later):

I'm still in the process of applying to LTS positions, but am finding it increasingly hard to pick one up since I've never held one before. :(