applying to jobs far away..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, May 17, 2009.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

May 17, 2009

uggghhh... 3rd year in a row on the job hunt.

i am getting married this summer and living on my own.

i am trying to decide if i should apply to jobs that are far away (over 45 min.). there are a few advertised in the paper. we can't really move b/c future hubby can't leave his job and moving would be a massive headache. and with the way people are getting let go lately, who knows if i get a job far away i would keep it!

but i desperately need a job. i will be finishing off a leave replacement position this year (which is 10 minutes away! >_<). i just don't know what to do. is having a crappy commute better than being stuck as an aide or something else?

blah...the job situation in NJ is HORRENDOUS!!!!

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 17, 2009

That's what I am wondering. Should I just commute? Just don't know how far I would want to drive.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

Apply EVERYWHERE!!!

Then make your decision once you have a better idea of where you stand.

That 50 minute commute may look a whole lot better in a month or two if it's the only offer on the table.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 17, 2009

My first job was 45 minutes one way and when I read your post "far away" to me is much more than 45 minutes. I did that for 4 years until I hired at my current school which is 5 minutes away :). I do know that I probably would not have even been interviewed for my current job if I had spent the previous 4 years subbing or being a TA. Experience is very important and sometimes you just have to do what you must to get experience. Good luck with your decision

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

I am like INteacher. To me, far away is much further than 45 minutes away. Both jobs I've had have been about that. I'm even considering applying to a district 1.5 hours from me. And I agree with Alice to apply everywhere!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 17, 2009

It's easier to make a decision when you have all the information you need to make it.

Don't worry about 'what-ifs' right now.

Apply all over the place. See who bites. Then decide.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 17, 2009

I would apply and see what happens. 45 minutes isn't that bad of a commute; a lot of times long drives can be relaxing, too.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 17, 2009

I am just going to throw this out there. Apply to places that you might have to move for too. What happens if your FH looses his job? I am applying everywhere there is a spot open. Ok well not everywhere there are some limits because of my own children but Im just saying having a job is pretty important these days so I am looking further and further everyday.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 17, 2009

Sorry...far away to me is moving to another state which I did for a teaching job 2 years ago. 45 minutes isn't that bad.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 17, 2009

One idea is to see what happens first (of course) and if you do get a job that is a long commute to move somewhere between your job and your future husband's. 25 minutes each is more manageable and a good compromise ;)

12. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 18, 2009

i'm in NJ too and my commute limit is 1 hour. I will not apply anywhere farther than that! Getting a job is SUPER important to me but I could not handle a commute longer than that everyday. My commute this past year was 40 mins and I just hated it. Also, i hear you on the awful job market in nj for teachers right now =(

13. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

The district I was with at the beginning of this past school year was a 1 hr. commute for me. I'm planning on doing it again this upcoming school year since I'm seeking to return to the district again. An extended commute is quite normal - I'm finding. I might as well accept it!

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

I have had a 30 minute comute for the last 7 years. A 30-45 minute commute where I live is not a big thing. My kids are at least 30 minutes from their school. I enjoy the time in the morning to plan my day and the afternoon I can unwind on the way home and leave any problems at school.

15. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 18, 2009

I agree apply to everything you qualify for and want to do and see what comes of it and then worry about the drive. :)

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2009

I think it boils down to the question of how badly you want a job.

If you honestly are willing to say it's not worth it to drive ___ minutes, then that's where you draw the line. But realize that in doing so, you limit your chances of ending up in a classroom in the fall.

Each of us has our own idea of a deal breaker. When I went back to work in 2006, I'll admit I limited the distance I was willing to drive. I have 3 kids and need to be reachable in the event that the school nurse wants me. (As she did many, MANY times this year!!!!) And even though I was pretty sure I would end up back at my old school, I was willing to live with the fact that I was limiting my options.

17. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

May 18, 2009

ok...thanks guys! i've decided to apply and see what happens. i really have to go for anything at this point. i have set my limit to an hour away. i do have an interview next week, somewhere relatively close...let's hope that will be it! but judging by how things went last year, it's only the beginning.

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

The only two job openings I see are 60 miles away. I applied to both. I remember when I was little and living in the Bay Area (SF) my dad drove an hour commute every day for 13 years. He carpooled some of the time. That was a sacrifice he made so we could live in the 'country'. If he could do it, I can do it. PS my hubby works 10 minutes from home so at least one of us will be close :)

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2009

The openings you can "see" are not the only ones out there!!!!! Apply to each and every school in each and every district!

Right now, three teachers may be typing letters of resignation for districts not showing an opening.

Apply EVERYWHERE!!!

20. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

yeah, the job I just got was as a result of a job fair where all we kept hearing was, "we don't have any openings right now".

My new school was the very last school I met with and nearly left before I got there. - Thank you I didn't.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 31, 2009

3 years ago, I got 2 job offers from schools that hadn't yet posted openings.

Offers, not interviews.

Apply on the assumption that the opening will be there tomorrow.

My school rarely to never posts openings. We don't have to; there's always a file full of resumes in the AP's drawer. The job situation on Long Island has always been brutal and those who want the jobs have to be a little agressive about it.

22. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 31, 2009

Thanks! That is good advice! :)