Applying to a trade teaching position

Discussion in 'Special Interests' started by AwesomeJoel, Jan 14, 2016.

1. AwesomeJoel

AwesomeJoel Rookie

Jan 14, 2016

x

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Rookie

May 20, 2016

Hello Joel, this is probably way too late, but maybe it will help someone. I was a CTE teacher for 18 years and principal and CTE director for two more. One of the things that I would look for in a resume' is not so much as what you can do in the trades, but the value of what you did towards your desire to be a teacher. This may mean things such as your planning of the project, attention to details, working with co-workers, teaching aspects of your trade to others. If you haven't volunteered with any student groups in student competitions such as SkillsUSA as a judge or as a mentor, you might want to consider doing so. Make sure you mention the value of bringing your industry perspective to the classroom in order to teach students about the safety, quality, and other standards of the trade. Call your state CTE association and ask how you can volunteer or help. I landed my first CTE teaching position was because I had helped the State Director for my trade area, and when asked by a school district for any candidate suggestions, he told them about me. Also, attend state association meetings, you always find that that the networking with other teachers is invaluable. Good Luck!