Applying to a District I Left

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Nab, May 19, 2017.

1. Nab

Nab Companion

May 19, 2017

Last Fall I worked in a district for six weeks before leaving. It was the WORSE six weeks of my life and totally insane. I wouldn't say it had anything to do with the district as a whole - but much more to do with the school. I'm currently looking for a new position (have been since November, actually) and am finding that the school districts simply aren't putting up teaching positions. Today I was curious and went to the website of the district I left - their BEST middle school is currently searching for two ELA teachers. I randomly decided to apply. I don't think they will even interview me, but. . .if they do - will they hold the fact that I left the district before against me? And, if I do get an interview, what should I say about leaving? It really was because the other school was run by the students and was completely insane.

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

May 19, 2017

You could say that the school you left was not a best fit for you. Every school has its own culture. There's really no need to disclose much more than that but definitely dont bad mouth the other school. You never know who is connected to who and who knows who. The world is getting smaller.

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

May 20, 2017

To be honest, they probably won't interview you. Schools/administrators change all the time so they will probably think you would leave when things are going how to like them. I would suggest focusing applying elsewhere.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 20, 2017

Since you have applied, you need to have some answers that don't include "the other school was run by the students and was completely insane." Same district, so dissing one school, even if it seems to be different to you at this point, will be an uphill battle. That's just my opinion, but since still all under the same umbrella of administration, I would be very wary.

6. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 21, 2017

Hi.. I'm in the same boat. Why do you think they won't interview if we resigned from that same district?. Thanks

7. christie

christie Rookie

May 21, 2017

In this particular case, the teacher resigned after six weeks. Any time you leave in the middle of a school year, it's going to raise flags. From the district's view, they were burned last time they hired her because she didn't fulfill her contract. Why would they set themselves up for that again?

Also of note, the OP says it's their best middle school, which means the applicant pool is likely to be pretty deep. When there's a big pool, schools can afford to be picky. It's been my experience that, when the pool is deep, teachers with no experience and teachers with dings - including teachers who didn't finish a contract - are unlikely to make it to the interview stage.

If you left the division at the end of the year, went to work somewhere else and are now interested in returning, that's a completely different story. In my area, people often move between districts without a problem. As long as you leave on good terms and at the end of a school year (or at the end of whatever they hired you for), re-applying shouldn't be an issue.

At this point in the year it is a buyer's market. Schools can afford to be picky about who they interview and hire. People without experience, who have been non-renewed for performance, and people who leave mid-year are currently competing with experienced teachers who have a proven track record of success in the classroom and completing contracts. The latter group is more likely to be hired in May and June. Once July 1 rolls around (at the latest) and the experienced teachers with a proven track record of success are locked into contracts, the job market loosens up considerably for teachers who have some dings or no experience.

8. Nab

Nab Companion

May 22, 2017

Thank you for all the feedback. I'm 99.9% certain I won't be hearing from the district. (It's a small district and people talk) But, I wanted to know what to say. Truth be told, I've been leaving the school I left off my resume, because I wasn't getting interviews with it on. I just really wanted to know what to say encase it ever comes up.