Applying Outside Your State

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miz_Jay, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Jul 6, 2011

I starting to look into applying for positions not in Illinois. I don't have any actual classroom experience, nor have I taken the Praxis(I plan to in the fall). But I am certified to teach in Illinois(where I completed my degree program and took all the required state tests).

Could I realistically expect to get called for interviews in other states even though I'm not yet certified there? I've been told by people before that you need 3 years of classroom experience to even think about taking your certificate to another state. Is this true?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

You could get calls, but I would write in my cover letter about starting the process of getting your certificate there...maybe even where you are in the process.

If you haven't started trying to get your certificate their, you probably won't get calls...but you just never know.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 6, 2011

I'm in Ohio and didn't even have my Ohio certification when I started applying for jobs in KY because I hadn't even graduated yet. I had about 7 interviews in KY in May and June. Each one asked me about relocating and I told them why I wanted to move (I have two horses). I didn't end up being hired there, I took a position in OH, but I'm not sure being out of state really hurt me much.

5. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

Earlier this year, I applied to schools in WA and IL (I'm currently in CA). I had a WA preliminary certification, and didn't get a single call from any of the numerous places I applied.

In CA, I got at least 15 calls.

I'm not sure if my qualifications just don't match the jobs in those states, or if being out of state really did hurt me. Either way, jobs in my home state wanted me, and jobs outside did not.

6. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jul 6, 2011

I am also looking out of state, and while I haven't heard the 3 years' experience thing, what I've actually done to become more marketable is go and get certified in the other states I'm looking at.

Some districts/states, I have found, will not consider you unless you already have their state's certificate in-hand...I have received calls from a few schools that wanted to know if I was certified in their state, and when I told them "not yet, but I will be", I never heard from them again. However, other districts/states don't really care. I got a job offer a week before school started last year, and I had done nothing to be certified there- not even take the Praxis- and they were willing to overlook that and just get me certified ASAP. (However, that might be more of a timing thing, I don't know.)

IMO, getting certified in other states' shows initiative and that you are actually strongly considering moving and teaching there, not just applying to every random opening you see. (Even if that may be the case.) ;) All that said, I would definitely get crackin' on getting certified if you are serious about it, as it took me awhile to find out what exactly each state required & then to complete all of the steps.

Oh, and for what it's worth...I have been looking for a job for over a year, and out of the 7 interviews I've gotten, 6 have been for out-of-state. :) There is hope!