Applying outside of education--advice--

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

I just saw a posting for a staff job at the local university. It is a program assistant at a museum. It looks really cool because it would be interfacing with the public and esp. children who come to the museum. It is full time with benefits and only a half-mile from my house. It's not my own classroom, but it is at least a job in a creative and educational environment. The duties include day-to-day running and operation of the museum, recruiting and hiring student workers and docents, and assisting the director with any number of special projects and programs. It is the first job outside of education that I've seen that actually gets me a little excited.:lol:

So I'm going to apply, given the dearth of teaching jobs around here and the fact that I keep coming in "second" which I am beginning to believe is code for "you're too old/expensive for us."

I'm customizing my résumé and letter for the position, which needs to be uploaded to the gigantic HR dept. There is no contact name so I am planning to address it to the director of the museum, who I assume would have the final say. Does that sound right?

Just editing to say I'm not giving up yet...just saw another .5 preschool job listed! It's 40 min. away but still doable through low-traffic areas. Off to send out a packet now!

3. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I would address it to the director if there was no contact name given. I think working at a museum would be really fun! That gives me an idea to look into. Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes on both positions! :)

4. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

I'd love a museum job. Good luck!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2013

It sounds really neat. Definitely go for it!

6. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Aug 1, 2013

I think that sounds like an awesome job.
    Best of luck to you!

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2013

Thanks everyone. On the one hand I'd be sad to give up on teaching my own students, but on the other hand this job sounds cool and would have a lot of perks. It is probably 100% easier than teaching, for one thing. I could walk to work. It is in a brand new beautiful building in a nice neighborhood. There wouldn't be any take-home work, and some of you might remember how I struggle with that! I'd be in a nice, educational environment.

But I wouldn't be Mrs. Rainbowbird to all my little friends. No morning meetings or chats at snack time, no teaching someone to read. :(

But....it's not over til it's over! I've got an interview on Monday for first grade and I just sent out another packet for preK!

Something will work out, somehow.

8. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

I always address the cover letter to the ED of whatever organization it is being sent to. It has worked for me.

I too have started to apply outside of education. In fact, I had an interview this past Tuesday for a case manager position with a social services agency.

Good luck! I know it doesn't seem like it, after working so hard to get a degree and credential, but a happy work life away from the classroom is possible!
    Sheilah

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2013

Good luck! I think working at a museum would be fun! I applied for a few museum jobs before landing my current job.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

Good luck on your interview with the social services agency. That sounds like it would be very rewarding!