Applying Out of State

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by houseofbooks, Sep 25, 2013.

1. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Sep 25, 2013

Hi, guys! So I'm working as a longterm substitute this year, but I'm already thinking about next year. I'm applying for teaching positions in overseas schools, and want to apply to Carney Sandoe to expand my search to stateside independent schools. However I thought it might be a good idea to have a couple of licenses in other states. NJ is a royal mess right now, and it's almost impossible to land a teaching position in their public schools. I'm also not a fan of the state for many, many, many reasons despite living here all my life. So I'm ready to move on!

Anyway: I'm curious about other states. I'm considering both a Virginia and Georgia license. VA because the population near DC seems to be growing (please correct me if I'm wrong) and I love the area, and Georgia because it only costs $20 for a license. :haha: Does anyone know about the market in those areas? I believe they're both "right to work" states whereas NJ is unionized, but honestly, finding a job is more important to me than whether or not the state has a teacher's union. Furthermore, I'd love to hear more about the state that YOU work in if it's not NJ. What are teaching conditions like? Pay scale? How's the market for English and elementary? If it's a saturated market, just HOW saturated is it (50 resumes per opening or 5000)? Would you recommend your area for a single 20something year old woman? Do you happen to know of districts that are expanding in the upcoming year? Any help at all would be VERY much appreciated! I read these threads often, and think the members are pretty knowledgable about job advice.

Also what happens if you have an out of state interview? Do schools usually do Skype or phone interviews?

Lastly, please don't reply to this thread just to say "it's bad all over the country, don't bother." It's not particularly helpful advice, and I REALLY want to stay upbeat despite the odds being stacked against me. :love:

3. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Sep 25, 2013

I teach in northern VA near DC. I moved here a year ago and absolutely love it! The salary is higher but the cost of living is also very high. I drove here for every interview, but I do know people who were hired through Skype. I went on 3 interviews and was offered all 3 jobs. In Ny, I couldn't even get an interview. They hire thousands each year. Let me know if you have any questions!

4. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Sep 25, 2013

nyteacher85, great news about Northern VA! I love VA in general, and think living so close to DC would rock. I can deal with the high cost of living since NJ is pretty bloody expensive and I'm "used" to paying through the nose for rent, food, etc.

I know VA requires new teachers to take the VLCA. Did you take that test in NY or in VA? And did you have to take the test before you were issued a teaching certificate?

Thanks again for your reply! It cheered me up a bit to know SOMEWHERE is hiring.

5. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Nov 9, 2013

NYteacher, which districts in Northern Virginia would you recommend applying to? I'm out of state as well, and three job offers sounds too good to be true. I just might have to research life in Virginia. :) Thanks!

6. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Nov 9, 2013

I work in Fairfax county. They are always hiring and it's a great district.

7. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 22, 2014

Hillsborough County in Florida is a great school. The superintendent is amazing and we are the 8th largest school district in America so there are always positions open.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 22, 2014

Also an FCPS teacher (and an FCPS teacher who's originally from New York!) but with our budget issues, we're going to be under a hiring freeze for a large chunk of the hiring season this year.

9. ayla

ayla Companion

Feb 22, 2014

I am originally from PA, took a lot of my VA licensure tests in PA.

FFX is under some budget constraints this year so be aware of that. Loudoun is always growing, not sure what their budget is like this year.

I was teaching further south in VA when I was interviewing and I had to drive up for all of my interviews. I asked about skype and was always told it was a deal breaker to try and interview that way so to just come up.

10. teach4thgrade

teach4thgrade Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

This is what I'm nervous about. Would love to teach in Fairfax, but am very nervous about the possible hiring freeze!! I had a similar situation happen to me in LA a few years ago fresh out of college. It led me to 1.5 years without a teaching job.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 23, 2014

I'm in Ohio. I graduated in 2011 and got a job in NW Ohio. I left after a year for central OH. I love it! I teach English. I'm not sure how saturated it is. For my current position, I know they said they got a lot of apps but I don't know how many that means.