Applying in the district I live in?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nursingnellie, Jul 21, 2010.

1. nursingnellie

nursingnellie Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I am so happy I found this forum!!! I've been driving my DH nuts asking him question after question that he can't particularly help with. :p

Anyway, two questions:

1) I normally research the district a little, look on their web site for key words/phrases, philosophy, etc, and try to tailor some of my cover letter to them. Since I live in this district, should I refer to it as "my" district or "our" district? Should I mention my first-hand experience with my own son, and his teachers and administrators, in our school system? Or should I treat it as I usually do, leaving my experience out of it?

2) I'd love to take my resume to them in person, for two reasons. The person who receives them is actually the mother of someone my DH went to school with (in this same district..he's actually teaching in my son's elementary school now, so he and DH have gotten to catch up some) and though I realize there's no place to mention this in the official application process, I think if I were in person I could bring it up and hopefully make myself a bit more memorable. Also, it's..um..in my district and quite nearby. It would almost be easier to take it there than to the post office. But I'm home with at least one of my kids, always DD (10 mo), sometimes DS (3 yo) all day..it would be inappropriate to bring them, right?

Sorry for rambling - I'm just really worried about this as the applications are due Friday and I still have to write a new statement of educational philosophy because the one I have is from before I started teaching, and is all about what I "will" do, now that I have a year of experience, I think it will turn out a bit differently. :crosseyed

Thank you so much for any help you can give...I'm driving myself :dizzy: over the whole thing!

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

I'm glad you found this forum, too! It can be sooo helpful!

As for referring to the district as "mine" or "ours" I feel that implies that you already work there, so maybe don't do that.

However FOR SURE use your experience in the district. I think talking about the great experiences you've had with your son in the district will show that you know and are very familiar with how the district works.

Also, dropping it off would be a wonderful idea, but I agree that you probably shouldn't bring your kids in. Is there anyone that could watch them for just a bit while you run the application in? I think it'd be worth it!

GOOD LUCK!

4. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I'm sorry but what is a DH? I assume it is not Designated Hitter

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2010

DH=dear husband.

Yes, in your cover letter refer to the fact that you live in the district, the great experience your child has had there, any volunteering you have done at the school. I'd refer to the district as 'town name's' district....

yes, drop off in person.Those connections are very valuable!! Don't bring the kids...

Good luck!!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2010

I also would not say 'my' or 'our'. When I applied to the district I grew up in, I mentioned being part of the community, but never the school or district. And, I was actually employed by them!

I would get someone to watch the kids.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

I think it depends on the tone of the district. In my district, being a part of the community, growing up here, raising children here, etc., is all considered a huge plus. They would want someone who saw it as "our" district because there is an understood vested interest in the schools doing well.