Applying for the perfect job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss Snix, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 20, 2010

I saw a job advertised in today's newspaper that is perfect for me! It is a full time job teaching grade one (I am early childhood trained and love the young ones) at a private school in my home town starting next school year. The school has only been open for a few years so is still fairly small, I have done supply work for it's attached Kindy (3-4yr olds) and it's sister school (gr5/6) in the next town, I love the atmosphere at both schools and the students are so well behaved and respectful.

I went to Office Works today to buy a folder (in the schools colour) to put all my stuff in, folder dividers, clear slips and also pretty marble effect paper (again in the schools colour) to print my brochure on. My resume is all set to go, my brochure is pretty much done, as is my online portfolio (glad I've been working on it since I was planning on sending it out at start of 4th term, but the cut off date for this is 3rd last week of this term) so all I need to do is work on my cover letter making it more personalized and selling me more (will post when 'done' for critic/help).

I really really really want this job!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2010

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

I love the idea of using the school color for the folder!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2010

Good luck!

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 21, 2010

Sounds like some great touches! Good luck!

6. geogirl0626

geogirl0626 Rookie

Aug 21, 2010

Good luck!!! Sounds like you are going to be well prepared!

7. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 21, 2010

Thank you all so much! I really want this job. My only concern is it's a religious school, and while I technically am of this religion (have worked short term in other religion schools that are different from mine) I do not attend their church (that is attached to the school) or have anything really to show that I am committed to it. I am not sure how to express this in my cv pack.

Also a little side question...I want to get a couple of written references in. Would it be alright to ask my first Principal (2007) to give me one? That was my first job and also the school I worked at the longest. She has since moved to another town but I have her email but am not in regular contact.

8. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 23, 2010

I have just sent the former Principal an email since she is at a different school now and is about 3-4hours away. It was so hard thinking of how to word it! Really hope she agrees, we got on very well and actually ran into each other in a shopping centre toilets lol here (the school we worked at was about 3 towns away) and she recognised me before I said anything so hopefully that's a good sign!
    I also have another teacher who went to uni with me that I have also worked with agree to write a reference letter for me. And I found my old uni practicum reports that teachers filled in, so will make copies of the primary practicum ones and add them.

9. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Sep 1, 2010

Have been working full time lately so only just made it to the post office this afternoon. I had it all donw up in the folder with dividers (Cover letter, resume, references, final prac reports, uni results, teacher registration) and clipped my brochure on the first divider just behind the cover letter - hope I didn't forget anything. Fingers crossed it gets me somewhere...

10. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Sep 1, 2010

Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

11. diana

diana Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Good luck with the job opening!