Applying for Teacher Jobs

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cfletcher84, Mar 4, 2013.

1. cfletcher84

cfletcher84 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013

Hi,
    My name is Cathy. I am starting to apply for jobs. I didnt know if there are any experienced teachers out there that could give advice or tips on applying for jobs that might have helped them in regards to resume, cover letter or applying to jobs or even the interview process.

Thanks so much!
    Cathy

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 4, 2013

There are a lot of posts on this forum that give tips on cover letters, resumes, interviews, and just about anything else you could ever want to know! If you post the type of position you're applying for, perhaps other posters can offer specific advice. :)

4. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Mar 5, 2013

NETWORK!! Ask around to your colleagues, friends-put it out there that you are looking for a position! That has definitely helped me!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2013

Let's move this thread to the Job Seekers forum, which is where the majority of the threads about cover letters, resumes, and applications are.

6. cfletcher84

cfletcher84 Rookie

Mar 7, 2013

I sent in 6 diff packets to districts... Now what do I do? Do I call the districts the following week?

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 9, 2013

Keep in mind that a lot of districts have switched to on-line applications only. I suggest bookmarking any district you're willing to work in as far as driving distance and check their employment postings daily. Many don't post on PA Reap, especially for elementary so you'll want to look at their websites specifically.

As far as calling the districts you've sent packets to, it can't hurt, but chances are you'll just get an "if we're interested we'll let you know" type of answer. PA is unfortunately an over saturated state as far as number of certified teachers.

If you're elementary you may also want to consider taking the Praxis II to add on middle school certs while it's still allowed. After Aug 31 of this year PA will no longer allow add ons for middle school onto a K-6 cert since the certs have changed to K-4 and 4-8. By adding on a cert in middle school math for example it not only enables you to teach that subject, but it also shows districts you're strong enough in math to pass the test. Passing the middle school Praxis is harder than the PPST so it shows a higher level of comprehension of the subject matter.

8. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Mar 10, 2013

I have a question too in regards to applying and sending packets out. I couldn't find the answer on the cover letter thread so I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light in this thread. I was wondering what should be included in a cover letter for new teachers? The only recent teaching experience I have now would be an assistant job. Does anyone have a generic sample? I have tried to Google some, but they aren't exactly what I am looking for.

9. cfletcher84

cfletcher84 Rookie

Mar 10, 2013

the districts where I sent applications to..i also applied to it online bc some of those districts don't accept paper applications. Now that I did the online applications, do I call a couple days after I did it or should I wait to hear something? Should I ask them about the status of my online application or will I get the same answer? For some of these districts, positions haven't been announced -- just that its for the future. I didn't know if any one had any suggestions. I am certified in Middle School English. I was going to take another middle school praxis test.